Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Not the EHC, some people won't listen

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Mr. Wright, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Mr. Wright

Mr. Wright Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 BD Chopper- 2002 1100 v-star
    First Name:
    Shannon
    I'm not going to name names, cause he does get on here now and then. This is a problem that has been going on for a couple years. A guy came to me and said his EHC was bad. The bike died and won't start. Everything else worked, but it wouldn't start. He had a new ignition module put in several months before, and it had power in and out, and all the connections were good. No fault codes on the EHC, and every time we went to mess with it, I couldn't find anything wrong. It would fire up and and he wouldn't have any problems for a couple months. He was convinced it was the EHC, so I found a used one, and had it checked, put it in and it ran for almost a year. Same problem came back, and he started pointing his finger at the EHC. I said no, it's got to be a bad connection somewhere, but the customer is always right, so I got him one of the Axle units. The bike fired right up. A couple weeks ago I was following him, and the bike back fired and died. We pulled over, and he said this is what it's been doing. I shoved down on the wiring for the ignition module and it fired right back up. I said you have a broke wire in there some where, bring it over and lets look it over really good. He rode it for 2 weeks before coming over, and said it hasn't had a problem, but I tore all the wire connectors apart and checked all the wires again. Found nothing. He calls me from along side the road, 1/2 mile from his house. I told him to wiggle the wires around and try it. It fired right up. So this afternoon I went over to his house and started peeling heat shrink back.
    IMG_20180715_154325_resized_20180715_050932838.jpg
    The shop that installed the ignition module, didn't solder the wires. He just put them together and put heat shrink on them. All 8 wires. This is a well known shop in the St. Louis area, the guys initials are D.A. I'll leave it at that.
    If anybody is interested in a good used stock EHC, I have a couple of them that are still good.

2. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Damn! Mistakes happen but that one is a bit hard.

Hopefully this straightens him out going forward!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

3. pauldeepsea

pauldeepsea Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Pitbull/ridgeback , 2006 big bear sled 300
    First Name:
    Paul
    The ehc is too ea
    the ehc is too easy to blame not saying that they don’t have their issues. But its usually something else causing the issues.

4. KaptinAmerika

KaptinAmerika Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K9
    First Name:
    Curtis
    My understanding is BD, at one point late in the game, had an outside organization do a study of the warranty recalls for EHCs. This company found that over eighty percent of the EHCs sent back due to so called warranty issues were in fact operational.
    I have on going extensive experience with the OEM EHCs and the Electronik EHC as well as some experience with the Thunderheart module. I battle with folks on a regular basis that want to blame their issue on the EHC. Yes, the BD OEM EHCs have a considerable number of poorly designed systems in them, in terms of what should be on a motorcycle, and it has led to numerous issues for allot of folks. However, a lack of desire, ability etc to troubleshoot the bike correctly is what has led to majority of most folks issues.

5. JoeHawkins

JoeHawkins Member

My Bike(s):
    '02 Husky
    The best mechanics would be nothing without trouble shooting skills.

PacoPetty and chubs like this.
  6. KnotSo

KnotSo No Time or Patience for Drama or Disrespect.
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog Mastiff, 2005 Buell, 2000 HD

Bet this person and many more will take notice now.
    13 years with my Mastiff and still no real issues and still find myself reading a post and looking at my ride to see if I can catch a potential issue before it becomes a problem. Thanks to all who post and help those of us less mechanically inclined.
    Job well done!

Kiwirider, Srodden, bigkelk9 and 2 others like this.
  7. francoblay1

francoblay1 The Spaniard

My Bike(s):
    K9 (2006)
    First Name:
    Franco
    :agree: My 06 K9 is still running on its original EHC. :chopper:

bigkelk9 likes this.
  8. FrankBDPS

FrankBDPS Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2ooo ProSport 1997 Honda Night Hawk
    First Name:
    Frank
    Why would some one do such poor work on a motorcycle? Actually most shops don't want to see these bikes because of their reputation with electrical issues. It becomes a problem with owners who want a great motorcycle but don't have the ability to do their own work. It is also part of the reason the values have fallen so bad.

bigkelk9 likes this.
  9. bdm7250

bdm7250 Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 BD Mastiff 2008 AIH Slammer
    First Name:
    Doug
    Unfortunately nowadays poor workmanship is far more prevalent, the demand for skilled labor far exceeds the numbers qualified or even interested.. Our company has felt the effects of the dwindling numbers of skilled tradesman for years now...and its only getting worse.

bigkelk9, kickstart and speedball jr. like this.
  10. Reddickracing

Reddickracing Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 K9, 07 Streetbob
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Well I hate to brag on it cause it mite fail now but 06 K9 original ehc

bigkelk9 and francoblay1 like this.
  11. Ernie12

Ernie12 Member

My Bike(s):
    02 BD Pro Sport
    First Name:
    Ernie
    I have a Thunderheart in my 02 Pro Sport and I was talking to a mechanic about some other things on my bike and the first thing he said was you know those Big Dogs have a lot of electrical problems. I also talked to some other mechanics and there seems to be a real attitude against BD. Since I am new to BD I cannot understand this. Are some motorcycle businesses so swamped they turn away work and money?

12. FrankBDPS

FrankBDPS Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2ooo ProSport 1997 Honda Night Hawk
    First Name:
    Frank
    Ernie, I do most of my own work but if I took my bike to a shop and he didn't want to work on it because of the brand I would rather have him tell me that than fuck my bike all up.

The wiring on you're bike is pretty much old school with the Thunder Heart controller. They used to have a schematic on their website.

bigkelk9 and BigDogRick like this.
  13. Ernie12

Ernie12 Member

My Bike(s):
    02 BD Pro Sport
    First Name:
    Ernie
    Yea I agree Frank

14. BigDogRick

BigDogRick Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2000 Big Dog Vintage Classic, 2004 HD Fatboy, 2008 Jeep Rubicon, 1972 VW Bus
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ernie, that Thunderheart module is bullet-proof. Mine survived three coils and two voltage regulators and two stators and a basket full of poorly wired replacements and on-the-road shorts (a couple with some pretty spectacular fireworks). I just replaced mine after 18 years and over 80,000 miles and I am not really sure it was necessary. It just was a casualty of an entire old school re-wire that I deemed essential to another 50k or so miles of cross country rides before I retire the beast. Your bike is not dissimilar to a whole bevy of late 90's and early 2000s customs that nearly every custom shop was putting out. Look those guys in the eye and tell 'em so. If they still him 'n haw go to the next guy. Find an old school mechanic that looks over your bike and says (I quote here at least ten mechanics in my 18 years of planned and un-planned maintenance) " you got a lotta good stuff here". If they can't look at your bike with instant familiarity, don't let 'em touch it.

Reddickracing likes this.
  15. BigDogRick

BigDogRick Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2000 Big Dog Vintage Classic, 2004 HD Fatboy, 2008 Jeep Rubicon, 1972 VW Bus
    First Name:
    Rick
    Shannon, stand your ground.

Mr. Wright likes this.
  16. pauldeepsea

pauldeepsea Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Pitbull/ridgeback , 2006 big bear sled 300
    First Name:
    Paul
    I would say more than likely it’s because they don’t understand the ehc and it makes it harder to trouble shoot, it not the standard. In my case I had to learn by reading and failing on my own and it’s helped me to understand and know my bikes. I have learned to pay close attention and take things slow to make sure I am doing it right the first time. Big dogs are good bikes and I would rather own one of these machines than a standard cookie cutter bike that everyone else has.. just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. mjsk9

mjsk9 Active Member
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 K9, 2008 BBC Pro Street Sled
    First Name:
    Mark
    I agree... I wonder how many replace due to "perceived reputation"? When the EHC issue was identified by Big Dog, they sent out a recall so I assume many that have purchased a "used" BD, really don't know if their dog had the recall taken care of?
    InkedIMG_2633_LI.jpg

pknowles, bdm7250 and francoblay1 like this.
  18. bdm7250

bdm7250 Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 BD Mastiff 2008 AIH Slammer
    First Name:
    Doug
    I replaced my PDM with the fantastic unmentionable module, there was nothing wrong with the PDM other than the fact it looked horrible, damn rats nest of wires which drove me batty every time I took the side cover off. I replaced it because of the cleaner look as well as knowing I would be trouble free from then on.. :2cents:

roadie1389 and francoblay1 like this.
  19. liferider

liferider Guru

My Bike(s):
    2003 BDM Chopper, 1996 HD Ultra Classic Custom
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Rick is correct, I will never understand why Bigdog walked away from Thunderheart. These units are fantastic! On my 03 Chopper I finally had to replace mine 3 yrs ago.

20. Mickeetwo

Mickeetwo Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K9 & 2014 Ultra Limited
    First Name:
    Alan
    I still have the PDM and your right, its a rats nest....but for now its still working

bdm7250 likes this.