No Power To Starter

AZ Rider

It's been a while since I last posted, but here I am with more issues. To be honest the issues started over a year ago, but I haven't had the money (had already put in a brand new transmission and starter and needed a break from dumping money into it) or time to deal with it. But, I really miss riding the Bigdog, so hopefully someone here can provide some insight.

When I bought the bike a few years ago the EHC had already been replaced with a complete rewire. So, my hope was that I would be good moving forward. Not so much. Early last year a starter issue popped up. I replaced the relays just to be safe and verified all fuses are good. There are no issues with lights, speedo, tach, compression release, etc. I've tested the line out of the controller to the starter and there is no power. I can jump around the module and the bike will start, so I know the starter is good. My assumption is that I need another new controller, but wanted to get thoughts here first.

So, my questions are:
  1. Has anyone had this problem before with the new controller?
  2. How do I tell what model of controller I have?
  3. How can I test the ignition module? I have a single red light on the ignition module which turns on when I hit the run button.
  4. Can I just replace the controller without rewiring the bike?
  5. What options do I have and are there any other troubleshooting steps I should take?
I do plan on taking into a shop to have them look at it and determine the cause as well, but I want to have an idea what I should expect as well as what my options may be.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BWG56

Guru
So, my questions are:
  1. Has anyone had this problem before with the new controller?
  2. How do I tell what model of controller I have?
  3. How can I test the ignition module? I have a single red light on the ignition module which turns on when I hit the run button.
  4. Can I just replace the controller without rewiring the bike?
  5. What options do I have and are there any other troubleshooting steps I should take?
Thanks in advance!
Take a picture of it and post it.

AZ Rider

Here is the controller and ignition module. Only the red light at the top left of the ignition module turns on. Not sure if any other lights should turn on.

Controller.jpg

Ignition Module.jpg

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the controller and ignition module. Only the red light at the top left of the ignition module turns on. Not sure if any other lights should turn on.

View attachment 51122

View attachment 51123
That is a PDM kit, nothing to replace they are not made anymore. There is another box that goes with it it's metal and potted and hidden somewhere and that is the power module.

How do you go about getting around the power to the starter to get the bike started? Are you sure it's not just either a bad Start Switch in the hand control? The line out you tested was the green solenoid wire I presume?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

AZ Rider

That is a PDM kit, nothing to replace they are not made anymore. There is another box that goes with it it's metal and potted and hidden somewhere and that is the power module.

How do you go about getting around the power to the starter to get the bike started? Are you sure it's not just either a bad Start Switch in the hand control? The line out you tested was the green solenoid wire I presume?

Straight from the battery and hit the starter to engage the compression release at the same time. It's been a while since I did it, but I'm pretty sure that's what I did last year. I didn't ride it like that, but it was just a test. And, yes, it was the green wire.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Straight from the battery and hit the starter to engage the compression release at the same time. It's been a while since I did it, but I'm pretty sure that's what I did last year. I didn't ride it like that, but it was just a test. And, yes, it was the green wire.
Your issue is probably in the hand control, it could just be the PCB board in the hand control got unplugged. Or the board is bad, it's easy to test.

Once you pull the hand control apart unplug the board and replug it back in and make sure it sits firmly. Try starting it again before you put it all back together. If it still doesn't work unplug the board and you can jump the start wire in the plug to see if it then starts. If it starts by jumping the wire your PCB board is bad, but it's not super common so might have just got unplugged there isn't alot of slack

AZ Rider

Your issue is probably in the hand control, it could just be the PCB board in the hand control got unplugged. Or the board is bad, it's easy to test.

Once you pull the hand control apart unplug the board and replug it back in and make sure it sits firmly. Try starting it again before you put it all back together. If it still doesn't work unplug the board and you can jump the start wire in the plug to see if it then starts. If it starts by jumping the wire your PCB board is bad, but it's not super common so might have just got unplugged there isn't alot of slack

If the PCB board was bad would it still engage the compression release?