Messed up need help

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I made a tool out of some stainless steel rod with one end fixed and the other ajustable. Works pretty good . It similar to the one that was sold for the softail dogs.
I use to do the same thing, till I figured out you can pull the axle, and reinstall it without loosening the adjusters.

chubs

Guru
When I replaced the rear tire on the Pit Bull, I wasn't aware of those adjusters. Just used a piece of round bar to shove the axle out, snug, but not overly tight. Guess I learned something here today!

firedog19

I adjust the tension I want then rotate the wheel forwards and backwards until the belt tracks pretty much center in the pulley.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
How do you get the belt back on? I wouldn't think you could stretch the belt to get the axel in:oldconfused:
And I do believe the belt stretches in time and needs adjusted, correct?
Yes, if you need to adjust you belt, turn the adjusters in evenly. When the belt is properly adjusted while your sitting on it, and you jack it up and set the frame on blocks, the belt is loose enough to push the axle out. When you put the axle back in, the end of the axle will start into the last (outer) spacer, before the lobe on the other end, reaches the adjuster screw. Twist the tire, to get the lobe past the screw, then start the bolt with the lobe on the other side. then pull the tire the other direction to get the other lobe past the screw. Push the tire forward, against the screws and tighten the axle bolt. Roll the tire backwards and forwards to check belt tracking. All the takes is about 47 seconds, give or take, depending on the last outer spacer, being a pain in the ass.