Man Down - minermark-

Energy One

minermark

:bang:65 freeway last sunday 4pm. road dry, temp 90, extreamly light traffic.
Old freeway pavement trasnsitions into new pavement with a 4 1/2" curb that runs across the whole dam freeway.
This 4 1/2 transition from old tp new takes place in two inchs, maybe a 75 degree angle, it was like running in a curb at 50 Mph, got over it and the handle bars started going back and fourth, like the bike was trying to wash out.
Tapped the rear brake, seemed to make it worse, tapped the front brake wile backing off the throttle and slowing, was down to aprox 40Mph and the skaking was not stopping, at 40Mph washed out in the #1 lane the bike and myself sliding on the sholder and into the dirt.
No other cars involved, the bike hit nothing and neither did i, just dirt.
All of this took place in aprox four seconds, no drinking was involved.
-----------------------
Me= wearing full leathers, right knee two hours surgry right arm/shoulder road rash.
light sprang left foot/left wrist.
so other than my whitts i fared pretty well.
I have not seen the bike yet, will update when i do........
:bang:

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Glad you are ok. Some of the construction that the department of transportation lets' happen is bordering on criminal. I guess they are trying to save a nickel but a four inch drop just ain't right. In Virginia they put up signs saying "bump" and motorcycles use "extreme caution". Before the asphalt crew knocks off for the day, all they have to do do is roll it out about a foot or two and no problems.

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
I;m glad you survived that Mark, sounds like you managed to bring your speed down and I'm sure that helped.

Let us know if there is anything we can do.

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
Glad your Ok! I wonder hitting that big of a transition if you didn't blow the front tire or bust the rim. Hitting the rear break should have streightened you out, except in cases of front tire blow outs. Transfering weight to a front tire flat actually causes worst control even in cars & trucks. Exceleration transfers weight to the rear and after control is gained then add rear breaking. Firestone Tire Co did a multi million dollar research on this back in the early 2000 due to a huge string of front tire flats leading to Ford Expoditions rolling over.

Last edited:

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
Glad your ok. I had a similar incident on the Canal Route thru Wichita. Didn't see the transistion's as they were under the bridges. Shadows hid them well. I hit the first one at around 70. The only part of me still on the bike was my hands...... lucky I didn't go down....I think that's when my lower neck bearing cup got broke? Hope you heal fast and get that Dog running again.

bearman

Sorry about your crash, glad you are OK. I think you should find you an ambulance chaser and sue. I know a guy that crashed a car (it was minor) because he blew a front tire in a pothole, he got city hall to pay to fix his car. This was in Mississippi and the pothole was in front of city hall.

coachk

Mark...first off, good to hear that you're still alive. Sue the pants off the State DOT. I guarantee you, that if you get a good attorney(not an ambulance chaser) you will have a good case. Dollars to donuts the DOT has had many compaints about that problem and has done nothing to fix it.<<< That's why you need a good attorney.

Five Five

Damm Mark .... seen the title and it made me sick to my stomach .... not another brother down .....I'm glad your not dead.
I need to go have a cigarette now :eek:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you are allright. These stories suck!

I'm always cautious about pavement changes and road construction. Grooved Payment ahead sucks, sometimes that bike works it way into a uneven part of the road and its tough to get it out of there especially with the wide tires bike will walk it self over easily.

PHATASS

Man, glad your ok! I too have experienced those sections of road up around Sac. Definately makes for a nerve racking transition and not motorcycle friendly at all!

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Glad to hear you are ok. I agree that a lot of the road construction is being conducted by knuckleheads. Not all road construction but a lot of it makes you wonder!

alphadog

Good to hear you are okay! I would get pictures of the roadway where you crashed before they repair/finish paving it over.