Kickstand

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I bought one for mine. My K9 has a Meanstreets Avalon front end, View attachment 55552 which makes my bike about 2” longer, and it leaned pretty far with a stock kickstand. This photo is with the new one.
Worked out perfect for me.
I like that front end -- tell me more! Please. Is it still 3degrees in the trees, Did you go 14 or 16 over rather than 12?
Inquiring minds need to know.

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
They went out of business so that front end isn’t made anymore. I called the guy to track down a rebuild kit (turns out a bd softail kit is what it used —whew!!) and he told me this:
Mean Streets Avalon
Now this one is 5 deg. rake and it ended up to be a 11 over. Old trail was 4.6 and new is around 4.9

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Thanks. It's unusual. I got the kickstand from Donna and Derek. I'm sure they still have Several of them. It was just a matter of time before my original one failed...when it leans too far, it really stresses the kickstand hinge. Mine was getting pretty loose, so I went ahead and changed it.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
If you adjust the shocks to a lower ride height the bike will stand up right quite a bit more mine adjusted low sat equal to my pitbull
And if you should loose air in the rear tyre while setting low would the bike (A) fall over on the right side or(B) just sit flat??

Brent Herridge

I know this is an old thread, but replacing my air ride for the Fournales means my ride height and bike stance is significantly different now.

Rick - that must be your old bike. It also appears to have air-ride and be deflated in that pic.

Mine was just right when totally deflated, but when inflated (before) or all the time now, its leaned WAY over. And like Rick points out, it must be putting extra stress on that hinge.

Did Big Dog really put the same kickstand on all bikes ? I theorized that hard-tails and air ride bikes got a shorter stand, and others must've gotten longer stands. If this is true, which one is the basis for the "extended" kickstands ?

My current stand measures 7 1/4". You can see length measured here, and you can also see that I had put it on top of two 1x4s to get it back to the parked stance it used to have. That's 1 1/2 " vertical, not angled like the stand, so I don't think 1" extended would be enough to fix it.

I am curious about the actual length of y'all's extended stands.

Thanks.

kickstand_small.JPG

IMG_20191027_201645_small.JPG

LHS

I bought the 1” longer one from Derek And Donna but in reality it’s almost 2” longer .
Here are a couple of pics of the original and the new one and both of them together.
This is on a 2009 ridgeback and after putting the new kickstand on it sits pretty much upright.
9797E877-50D8-41CB-935B-4065156E5F8B.jpeg89A1C5D7-2020-4626-8D6F-97DF785D8741.jpeg6FAEF885-4605-4622-A907-0D8F858A1C6B.jpeg

LHS

Hey Brent Herridge
The more I look at the picture you posted it looks to me like your kickstand is about worn out.
It looks like it is hyper extending which is going to make your bike lean even farther and eventually slip past the stop and dump your bike onto the ground.

In other words when you flip your kickstand down it is getting worn out enough that it’s gonna go past the stop and fold up on you. If you look at the picture of the one I put on my bike it’s more in line with the bracket that holds it to the bike and if you look at yours it’s going past that point By a lot. So your bushing or bolt or bracket is Wollard out or the combination of all three.

That is the reason I originally replaced my kickstand it was doing the same thing . When I pulled it apart and looked at it the bushing and the bracket were worn out. From what I’ve seen on the form here it seems to be a common problem with the BDM kick stands design.
I only got the 1 inch longer one which turned out to be almost 2 inches longer because I didn’t like how the bike leaned and it was only A little more $$.

Sure hate to see your kickstand fail on you and dump your bike on the ground and from the looks of it in the picture you took it’s almost there.
Good luck on whichever route you go

Last edited:

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Brent -- LHS is right, your kickstand is worn -- badly.
I know as I have over the years killed several. Either put a shim in there and secure it so that the kick stand lines up with the *slot/groove* in the mount or get a new one.
I use the 1" extended one as I didn't ever like how far over my bike leaned.
I tried an Arlen Ness -- HATED IT. The smaller area on the foot made that thing sink into asphalt that the stock unit would not even on hotter days. Had it on less than a week -- found bike over once and leaning on the license plate bracket -- off it came!

Reactions: LHS

shards

Really glad this thread opened up again. My stand is just like Brent’s. Leans pretty far over. I just bought a 1” extended replacement from wildsteelworx to replace it.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mleach72

My kickstand is over extending too. I need to get a new one or fashion the shim for it. What I do is lightly push the kickstand back with my boot before it touches the ground. Then lean the bike over and let it gently roll backwards. The kickstand will lock into the grooves before overextending.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
My kickstand is over extending too. I need to get a new one or fashion the shim for it. What I do is lightly push the kickstand back with my boot before it touches the ground. Then lean the bike over and let it gently roll backwards. The kickstand will lock into the grooves before overextending.
I used to do that but it got old real fast.

Brent Herridge

Thanks everyone.

LHS - thanks for the measurements. That's exactly what I was looking for.

1" extended version ordered from WSW.