keep breaking top motor mount bolts

Energy One

demon dog

My son keeps snapping his top motor mount bolt. They snap off flush at the frame. he has a 06 ridgeback with the 117 and 600 cam... did I mention he rides hard? fast acceleration and high rpm's. we are using the correct hardened bolts. is it possible that the motor needs shimmed to reduce the stress on the bolt. appreciate any ideas....getting the snapped off red loctited end of the bolt out of the frame is a MF'ER

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Make sure the bolt your putting in there isn't to long. Then replace the other 4 bolts holding the engine in. And check the trans mounting nuts. Also give the frame a good look over, to make sure there isn't any cracks anywhere. Something seems to be moving somewhere.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
make sure it is a grade 8 bolt with a short shoulder before the head, not threads all the way to the head.

Cold1

My son keeps snapping his top motor mount bolt. They snap off flush at the frame. he has a 06 ridgeback with the 117 and 600 cam... did I mention he rides hard? fast acceleration and high rpm's. we are using the correct hardened bolts. is it possible that the motor needs shimmed to reduce the stress on the bolt. appreciate any ideas....getting the snapped off red loctited end of the bolt out of the frame is a MF'ER
I had a problem years ago using grade 8 bolts on top motor mount went grade 5 no more issues.

demon dog

had his bike checked by professional mechanic and all lower mounts / trans mounts / frame are good. new grade 8 installed already but will try the grade 5 if this one snaps. thanks everyone