K-9 Side stand

JeffM

I am concerned my 08 K9 is going to fall over when i place it on the stand.
It became more evident when i was on my week long trip and was loaded up.

Can someone with access to a digital level place it accross their back wheel and give me the angle of lean.

It worries my that i may come out of the bar and find my Dog in the gutter.

Thanks in advance.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Jeff, I am sure you already have done this, but.... Did you check the bolts making sure they are tight? and, check the stand itself for peeling chrome and/or any other signs of it bending? Just my thoughts.

:cheers:

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
These kickstands do wear out near the front edge and when they get bad enough they can fold forward and drop the bike. Check to make sure the stand pivot bolt and spacer are okay and check the forward stop on the mount and stand. The center bolt can loosen as well. There is a alternate replacement available but you will need to search the forum for it.

z4racer

I had the same issue with mine, it was worn out. I replaced it with an Arlen Ness adjustable kickstand. This one was expensive but seems very sturdy.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
I had the same issue with mine, it was worn out. I replaced it with an Arlen Ness adjustable kickstand. This one was expensive but seems very sturdy.
That was gonna be my suggestion, I know that several have gone that route..

gonebroke

Mine got sloppy so I took off the egged out bracket and drilled it out for 3/8 x 5/8 x 1/2 drill bushing shimmed the leg to be snug and used a shouldered allen bolt (no threads in bushing)----better than new!! Total cost $6.65--- I had the bolt. :up:

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Mine got sloppy so I took off the egged out bracket and drilled it out for 3/8 x 5/8 x 1/2 drill bushing shimmed the leg to be snug and used a shouldered allen bolt (no threads in bushing)----better than new!! Total cost $6.65--- I had the bolt. :up:
Do you have a picture of this fix?

gonebroke

Wish I did!

Building drag and boat engines I make a lot of my own tools and repairs for them and the bike----but I've never been able to post pictures, how stupid is that?? How ever, if you call around to machinists supplies or really good hardware stores and get that drill bushing the light bulb will come on because it's the bracket that gets worn out. Make sure the drill is not to big for the bushing for a snug fit and a little red Loctite and your in business, even better if you know a machinist that bore it for a press fit, once I had the bushing it took less than 30 min. to do. What do they say ? A picture is worth a thousand words. Hope this helps, I've got to out in the shop and work on some cyl. heads. Ron :bang:

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Building drag and boat engines I make a lot of my own tools and repairs for them and the bike----but I've never been able to post pictures, how stupid is that?? How ever, if you call around to machinists supplies or really good hardware stores and get that drill bushing the light bulb will come on because it's the bracket that gets worn out. Make sure the drill is not to big for the bushing for a snug fit and a little red Loctite and your in business, even better if you know a machinist that bore it for a press fit, once I had the bushing it took less than 30 min. to do. What do they say ? A picture is worth a thousand words. Hope this helps, I've got to out in the shop and work on some cyl. heads. Ron :bang:
Thanks for the detailed info Ron. We have a machine shop at work and I'll probably take a stab at it shortly.

RRRUFF

:2thumbs::2thumbs:

JeffM

Thanks one and all for your responses.
However,
1. The bush is snug and the bolt is in good condition with no steps or signs of wear.
2. The Leg is OK and has a small amount of sideways movement (fix with washers)
3. The part that attaches to the frame may be bent, although no signs of cracking chrome evident.
4. Is the hole that the bush sits into supposed to be elongated or is the bush supposed to be a press in fit?

Not interested in anything Arlen Ness has to fit a BDM.............sorry.

paleskin

Jeff - there are definitely 2 different sized kickstands and the shorter ones seem to lean excessively IMO. I decided to "improve" the mastiff with an Arlen Ness kickstand with internal spring (adjustable), and regretted it when I was on a long ride to Colorado and at the gas stop couldn't get off my bike because the stand locked in the up position. Couldn't wait to ditch that stand. I ended up buying the only one available at a local shop which was labeled as a replacement stand for the coyote and it holds the mastiff at a far better angle. Not sure how this applies to the K9, but consider hitting up Donna at bigdogpartsking and see if she has the longer kick stand you can buy. Good luck

badyellowvette

Mine leans over way too far also. I tightened it up with a thin bronze washer and drilled the mount for a roll pin that prevents the kickstand from folding forward. Found that fix on a thread here.

Picture before fix: Let me know if you want a picture of the lean now, there's not a lot of difference.

badyellowvette

Took a picture so I could see if there is any difference. It might be worst.

Also picture of the roll pin installed that keeps the stand from folding forward if it gets too worn. I will be replacing the stand this winter.

JeffM

Yep thats about it, if i put on slopping ground i'm afraid it will fall over.
Spoke to Donna a few months ago (well email) they have them for $168 US + P&H.
No one has answered regarding wether the hole is supposed to be elongates or not.
I can drill out to the elongated size and spin a bush to suit the bolt and new hole size if that is the issue.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Mine kickstand looks just like the above picture without the roll pin. It seems to be positioned right and rests on the front edge between the slot. I don't believe this will wear out so I am going to leave mine alone.

JeffM

Franco, is your hole on the fixed part elongated with the bush slopping around or is the hole same same as the bush with little to no movement?