Jumping K-9

Energy One

DRBarnhart

Insert title here...
If you would like a quick simple DIY check of your front tire here is what you do. Costs nothing:

Step 1

1 - Lean your front end all the way over to one of the fork stops so it won't flop.
2 - Jack up your bike until the front tire is just off the ground.
3 - Use a black magic marker and draw a line on your rim at 6"Oclock. (pointing straight down)
4 - Spin your tire and let it stop on it's own. Do this multiple times and observe where the black line points.
5 - If always straight down tire is out of balance. If in random spots all over the place tire is balanced.

Step 2

1 - Grab a machinists stand and a dial indicator to measure side to side runout and then top to bottom runout. Don't have? No problem. Figure out somekind of a stable stand (2x10 wood) and a pointer (sharp anything, pencil dowel whatever) and tighten it all up.

2 - bring pointer up to side lip of rim and spin tire. Observe gap as tire slowly rotates. Shouldn't be very noticeable. If so then bent rim or if spoked then out of adjustment laced spokes.

3 - now do the same thing bringing your point into the front middle of the tire until it touches and slowly spin the tire. You'll see if the tire is out of round or if you have cupped areas on the tire.
This is some great advice/information! :2thumbs:

Have you tried it Tony? What were the results? :confused:

Dennis

Flat spots on the tires from sitting?

If it has been sitting for as long as it sounds that might be an issue.

Hell I had to take my trickle charger in when I left my bike last time the engine was being worked on. Time before the battery died. then again my bike was there for a couple of months the last go 'round.
No flat spots, buy one heck of a lot of "shop grime" I learned my lesson there. Picked it up today, the problem remains, but at least it is home and the other work done seems to be good. Thanks, "T"

Attachments

motorheadmike

jumpin K-9

Hey "T",
Put a nobbie tire on the front and make it a giant dirt bike. No more tire issues and no more dirt issues as it will no longer matter. Then it can really be a "jumpin K-9". Easy on the landings. MHM

scgorazd

I experienced a similar issue on my way back from sturgis, however it was not as pronounced as yours. I run beads in the tire so weight wasn't an issue. I also noticed I had a pulsing when using the front brake (not a warped rotor). The guys at gateway big dog St. Louis said check the fall away. I'll be damned if that didn't take care of it.