Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Installing a Bandit

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drive' started by SKOGDOG, Feb 24, 2018.

1. SKOGDOG

SKOGDOG One of the old ones.
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 K9-2010 Bulldog Bagger
    First Name:
    Rick
    So----I have been dealing with kind of a weak clutch since I hopped up the K9 a little bit several years ago..I put in a 585 cam and decked it, Leaving the heads stock. That, with a spike intake with V&H exhaust resulted in an engine that could overpower the clutch sometimes. Mostly at higher rpm shifting from 2nd to 3rd under full power. It also broke my cast alminum clutch bearing carrier (at Myrtle Beach, no less). But since Roger had a spare, I just used that, figuring I'd get around to upgrading sooner or later. I'm not too tough on clutches.
    I noodled along with it for another year or so until recently buying a Bandit clutch.
    The install went well, and I know there are several how-to posts on clutches, so I didn't bother to take any pictures---altho the billet Bandit clutch is for sure photogenic, and truly a thing of beauty. Primary oil bath or no, DentDude would have polished it to a chrome finish in 20 minutes.
    Got it pretty much done, and as I went to put on the outer primary, lying there was a big snap ring that is supposed to go on the shaft against the inner primary...and then I found the big washer--You know, the one that is supposed to go under the crankshaft bolt, which I had just yesterday dutifully cranked down to 185 ft lbs with red loctite.
    So--I got to do the whole job over again. The thing about it is that it always goes so much faster the second time due to what I call 'practice effect'. I am much better at solving familiar problems than surprise problems.....
    One disappointment was the very poor quality of brochure describing the install. Much of it was insensible, using terms I didn't recognize, and there were no schematics to label things, just a couple of grainy pictures. I was tempted to offer to re-write it for them, then remembered about that retainer ring and washer, so I ditched that idea.
    Got it done and off the lift. Fired it up and was easily able to get in and out of neutral, and the clutch immediately lugged the engine way down to stall when applying the brakes. Both bikes are now ready for coast to coast.
    But today it's cold rainy, and Blacktopper's shop is heated and between the two of us, we have lifts, and pretty much every tool needed. I just might enjoy messing with those Dogs almost as much as riding them, although I think Shannon and Big Daddy have already cornered that market.
    There are damn sure a lot of worse ways to spend a Saturday, I can tell you that.
    Life is sweet.

francoblay1, Twisted, Srodden and 6 others like this.
  2. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Nice work Rick! Glad it went smoothly, sounds like your easy pull you managed to get it to work with the EZ Pull, even though the literature said it won't work? Haha

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

3. SKOGDOG

SKOGDOG One of the old ones.
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 K9-2010 Bulldog Bagger
    First Name:
    Rick
    I still don't know if mine is an easy pull or not. It sure felt like a great clutch. We'll see Monday. Supposed to be dry and 60. Rain has washed away the salt too.

4. bdm7250

bdm7250 Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 BD Mastiff 2008 AIH Slammer
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gotta love the "oh shit" feeling when you see the missed parts..been there many, many times. :oldlaugh:

francoblay1, Srodden and liferider like this.