info on S&S protune II

Bike still wont start, bigdog says not my ehc. Told me to hook up my computer to black S&S box and read codes. I think I did it right and the codes where as follows, I'm no expert so looking for advice

PO113 Intake air temp too high
PO118 Engine temp too high
PO122 Throttle Position too low
PO505 Stepper Motor Malfuction

would any of these cause bike to backfire out of breather, it starts but doesnt stay running, missing. changed plugs and wires already.

41bigdawg

Let the Big Dawg eat !
Supporting Member
I am thinking that the stepper motor malfunction is your problem, that is what controls the position of the butterfly valve on the intake.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Did you CLEAR the codes and make sure they are the CURRENT error codes?

I'd start by checking the Throttle position sensor, procedure is in the manual.

Also Check all the electrical connectors to the sensors. Not sure what happens when you try to start a bike when air/engine temp is too high.

Does anyone know if the thermistors are NTC or PTC? (increase resistance with temp or decrease) or the real part number (not big dog number but the actual semiconductor part).

willywill4765

I am thinking that the stepper motor malfunction is your problem, that is what controls the position of the butterfly valve on the intake.
Is there a way that I could check the stepper motor malfunction, definitely not a motorcycle mechanic or a big dog mechanic is what I'm finding out

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

willywill4765

Did you CLEAR the codes and make sure they are the CURRENT error codes?

I'd start by checking the Throttle position sensor, procedure is in the manual.

Also Check all the electrical connectors to the sensors. Not sure what happens when you try to start a bike when air/engine temp is too high.

Does anyone know if the thermistors are NTC or PTC? (increase resistance with temp or decrease) or the real part number (not big dog number but the actual semiconductor part).
Jersey Mike, I used to live in Jersey eatontown Monmouth county area. Not really sure how to check the throttle position, if it's something that's real technical not sure if I will be able to do it

willywill4765

Jersey Mike, I used to live in Jersey eatontown Monmouth county area. Not really sure how to check the throttle position, if it's something that's real technical not sure if I will be able to do it

And when I bought the bike 3 years ago did not get any manual with it

Bike still wont start, bigdog says not my ehc. Told me to hook up my computer to black S&S box and read codes. I think I did it right and the codes where as follows, I'm no expert so looking for advice

PO113 Intake air temp too high
PO118 Engine temp too high
PO122 Throttle Position too low
PO505 Stepper Motor Malfuction

would any of these cause bike to backfire out of breather, it starts but doesnt stay running, missing. changed plugs and wires already.
Your best bet is to get the service manual and refer to the troubleshooting section at the back.
All the codes you have are in there.
Address them clear the codes, test ride and check for error codes again.

There is a thread on here with a link to the service manuals some where.
You can also just email us and we can send you the pdf version, wsworx@gmail.com

Jwooky

Stepper motor (IAC) does not control the throttle blade. It extends and retracts to uncover and cover a small air orifice to regulate the amount of air into the engine at idle.

You never responded if these are active or historic codes.

I would only focus on the active. The historic codes could have been caused by an interruption in power for example/

Write them down and clear them. Start and ride it and then recheck them.

There is a test within protune that you can use to verify IAC function.

willywill4765

Stepper motor (IAC) does not control the throttle blade. It extends and retracts to uncover and cover a small air orifice to regulate the amount of air into the engine at idle.

I would only focus on the active. The historic codes could have been caused by an interruption in power for example/

I assumed they were active codes I will hook the computer backup and try to clear them not sure how to do it, but as far as riding it I can't get it to to stay idling just shuts off like it's not getting fuel.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
I assumed they were active codes I will hook the computer backup and try to clear them not sure how to do it, but as far as riding it I can't get it to to stay idling just shuts off like it's not getting fuel.

see if you can get up with member "Groundpounder". he is pretty good with the EFI bikes.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club

Maybe you need to check the pressure on the fuel pump.

bohussound

I had the exact same problem. I bought a fuelpump rebuild kit inluding the fuelpump regulator and after I reinstalled the bike runs great. You can do an easy test on your bike. If you turn the ignition on and switch it off before the fuelpump has done it's period and then you repeat this about four times you will build up a higher pressure in the tank. Then try and start it after check engine light is gone. If it fires up for a few seconds and dies you need to rebuild the fuelpump.

willywill4765

I had the exact same problem. I bought a fuelpump rebuild kit inluding the fuelpump regulator and after I reinstalled the bike runs great. You can do an easy test on your bike. If you turn the ignition on and switch it off before the fuelpump has done it's period and then you repeat this about four times you will build up a higher pressure in the tank. Then try and start it after check engine light is gone. If it fires up for a few seconds and dies you need to rebuild the fuelpump.
I will give that a shot when I get home hopefully that's what it is because the bike does start just runs real rough and I have to keep giving it throttle although I should just conks out

Jwooky

There is a schrader valve under the tank where the fuel lines comes out.

You can get a fuel pressure gauge at harbor freight for ~ $20 if you don’t have one.

You should have ~60 psi.

Another common issue is the injectors getting plugged. You can remove and clean them with carb or break cleaner.

willywill4765

One of the two teeth from the regulator to the motor is broke could this be the problem