Ignition key cylinder replacement

Energy One

jjarkys

05 Pitbull ignition replacement. Thanks to "sekcycles" for the tip on where to find a replacement for the stock key cylinder. I found the same key switch at TSC (Tractor Supply Company) $16. I included a pic. I replaced this to eliminate the key pulling out when on and because I thought the old switch might be shutting the bike off while riding. The original had become very loose feeling.

I chose to keep the factory disconnect on the switch and use heat shrink butt connectors for the connection. They have an adhesive inside them that bonds the wire to the connector and weather proofs it.

Also thanks to "V, bigchazz and gdog pitbull" who told me I would not have to remove the tanks to remove the coil cover. It was tight, but with the right tools its possible.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dakotabos

Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
:2thumbs: That Kicks Ass :2thumbs:

Beats $102.93 from Big Dog

DynoDave

Guru
Ignition switch

Thanks for the great tip!! Tractor supply doesn't offer this switch for shipping, however. I found similar switches on FleaBay. (Switch is for a Ford Tractor; 1939 - 1964.)

:cheers:

Brew

Troop Supporter
Thanks for the great tip!! Tractor supply doesn't offer this switch for shipping, however. I found similar switches on FleaBay. (Switch is for a Ford Tractor; 1939 - 1964.)

:cheers:
Same one I used for my 05 ridge it works perfectly!

mastiffdave

Leave it to a fellow Arky to find this at TSC. Good find and it beats that piece of crap wire plus switch all to heck.:up:

Shadow71

Just to verify, are al the key switches the same on BDMs?

I lost teh key on my 04 Mastiff on a 50 mile ride.
The key was less then a month old from BDM.

So turned it off that night and drilled the cylinder the next day.
so now any key will turn the switch.

I want to replace the switch and retain the disconnect.
Also installing an ignition disable and connecting it to my Scorpion 500 alarm.

thanks

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
I think this switch should work for the two wire OFF-ON later year bikes. There were several iterations of BDM key switches. Early big-round case end, smaller slim-line tubular three tumbler and then a same tube size but a bit longer four tumbler model. You can tell if it's a 3 or 4 tumbler pin by looking at the key notches and the key length. One of these I think was a 3-position as well.

IHS760 - IGNITION SWITCH / KEY SWITCH
There is NO washdown flip door to cover the keyhole when the key is removed but it should get you down the road again. If you search the internet for the IHS760 you will find a few sources for this switch. I assume it holds the key in the lock when it's in the ON position. Looks like just a OFF-ON (2-position). Hopefully it is long enough and holds up the vibration and heat. Don't hang anything from the key except for maybe a lightweight key fob.

Here is another http://www.steinertractor.com/ABC065-ignition-switch--key-switch

And another 8N3679C http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111371333279?lpid=82

If you try it, please post the results for the other forum members.

Last edited:

harley74

I use a a off, on then start switch. Got it from OReilly's. No need for the start button on the handle bars.