identifying clutch bearing carriers

Energy One

dogvet

Banned
DOGVET Have you seen the later one break?
I haven't seen any break, but I did see one that had a loose bearing fit once. the bearing would slide back and forth even with the retainer in place. there was a loose fit between the bearing and the carrier. Symptoms were like the bike had a clutch slip and drag at the same time. Replaced the carrier and life was good again. I saved that carrier for educational purposes!

05chop

Dogvet Why didn't they make a solid clutch bearing carrier like bandit instead of the a- symmetric- windows? Have anything to do with oil circulation?

dogvet

Banned
Dogvet Why didn't they make a solid clutch bearing carrier like bandit instead of the a- symmetric- windows? Have anything to do with oil circulation?
As it was explained to me, the vanes on the carrier deflect oil into the clutch to help saturate the clutch pack, sling oil around the hub bearing, cool the clutch, and flush out wear material.

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
You can identify the old one because it has 1/8" wide thick "spokes" and the New one has like 3/8" wide spokes. Look at that picture above real close at the spokes. They widened them over double the old width right by where the small holes are drilled around the center hole.

Also if you just compare the open window areas of the 2, the new one has a skewed "D" shaped opening whereas the old style is much more symmetrical and I think in the shape of a Trapezoid if my memory of geometrical shapes is correct????

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
Also if you just compare the open window areas of the 2, the new one has a skewed "D" shaped opening whereas the old style is much more symmetrical and I think in the shape of a Trapezoid if my memory of geometrical shapes is correct????
There ya go, I didnt catch that before!!!:cheers: :2thumbs:

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Gas, that picture is the new one for sure.

The new revised one is a off "D" shape and the old style has a uniform rectangle opening in it.

Here is a bigger pic that DogVet posted so you can see the difference:

Last edited:

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
Gas, that picture is the new one for sure.

The new revised one is a off "D" shape and the old style has a uniform rectangle opening in it.

Here is a bigger pic that DogVet posted so you can see the difference:

Like I said I hope so!!!! It's in my funkin bike now!!!!:eek: :rolleyes:
Mine was changed before I bought it also but I needed his hub.:2thumbs: :2thumbs: