Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How To Cure your Fogging Speedo

Discussion in 'How-To' started by Gas Man, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gas Man

Gas Man Cool isn't cheap
    Supporting Member Calendar Participant

Ok, this is a hot topic for guys. The ever annoying fogged up speedo.

I have done this on my bike and have had it this way all this year with no problems. I will explain how to do this then I will show you some pics from earlier this spring as proof that it works great.

First please refer to the following thread to get to the speedo
    http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/how/451-how-remove-install-swap-your-speedo.html

The idea here is that the speedo unit is sealed so well it won't adjust fast enough to the changing temps. BDM is having the programming plug removed to help with fogging.
    [​IMG]

Remove the plug
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a temperary fix till BDM gets gortex replacements out. But I figured a felt sticky might help a bit till I get the gortex replacement. Simple fix.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now granted I'm not sure if BDM ever did roll out the gortex fix but this has worked very well for me.

From my Phoenix takes flight thread
    http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/customizing/3486-phoenix-takes-flight-4.html#post62951

You can see the bike below, all fogged over...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But with my make shift speedo plug
    [​IMG]

The speedo didn't fog over like it use to. You can even see the fog on the tripple under the speedo.
    [​IMG]

More recently we got caught in some crazy rain and thunderstorm. The entire bike soak including my 40# blue jeans and quart of water in each boot. That day and the following days... no fogging

First small rain
    [​IMG]

After the big rain storm ride!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And even after the bike wash
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NO FOGGING!!!

Could probably go with out the plug sense the water has to get in the small hole in the bucket and go UP to get into the speedo. But its a added, breathable, protection barrier.

It may be some redneck engineering but it has worked and worked well. :2thumbs:

#1 Gas Man, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. TLB08K9

TLB08K9 Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 K-9
    First Name:
    Henry
    See there are rednecks other than in the south! Thanks gas gonna do this after my bike gets out of the shop, tired of not being able to see how fast I'm going while passing a cop. Super helpful as always!!

3. Gas Man

Gas Man Cool isn't cheap

Added that, Could probably go with out the plug sense the water has to get in the small hole in the bucket and go UP to get into the speedo. But its a added, breathable, protection barrier.

4. Alicat

Alicat Hanging out

My Bike(s):
    o6 K-9
    DOES NOT WORK!!!!!
    My plug was removed in Daytona Bike week and as I was in Sturgis this year mine was all fogged over.......

5. Gas Man

Gas Man Cool isn't cheap

Really... that is crazy... works for me...

But Al... does you have a cover on the said port or is yours just a hole?

6. Alicat

Alicat Hanging out

My Bike(s):
    o6 K-9
    Chris, it worked for me as long as I didn't change locations (Elevation differences?) I don't know but this last time I believe it messed up my LEDS as when it was fogged my neutral light would only come on about 50% of the time. Jason was going to change it out for me at Sturgis but he was busy and I didn't feel like waiting.

7. Gas Man

Gas Man Cool isn't cheap

Well as you can see from my pics, it works well for me at my non-changing elevations.

8. Whistler

Whistler Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Big Dog K-9 EFI, 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
    Wonder why the manufacturer, Autometer, has not responded/solved the fogging problem? Seems to me if the units were purged with dry nitrogen and sealed properly at the factory, we shouldn't have a fogging problem. My speedo face is always clear when I start out then fogs up after 15 minutes of riding. Could the fogging possibly be something other than moisture? I can't imagine what else it could be. Wonder if anyone has actually opened their speedo and checked the film on the face to confirm it's actually water? The mystery continues --------

:bang: :bang: :bang:

9. Ratman

Ratman Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2007 Big Dog Mastiff
    I actually spoke with autometer this morning. According to the person I spoke with (and he was very nice and I will not mention names as to protect this forthright individual) it is a design flaw...the speedos are not completely sealed...and Big Dog did not originally specify a sealed unit. The interior of the speedos are mostly nylon, and attract any moisture like a wick. The rep told me they need to breath..as has been indicated by Gasman...but as Gasman knows and has tried to help me (AND VERY APPRECIATED), I have had mixed results. I live where there is about a 5-10 degree instant temp drop (known locally as the snow line)...on one highway and mine starts to fog instantly when I hit that section of the road. I made a plug out of a very fine sink aerator screen and sticky felt. Now I also have 4 silica gel packs inside the billet housing, and rubber grommets sealing the base of the speedo pod. Rode last evening...still fogged...not as bad and cleared after arriving home in less than 5 mins. May still have moisture inside from Sunday ride.

10. Gas Man

Gas Man Cool isn't cheap

Ratman... you are doing a fantastic job to aid us in this R&D of dumbasses (sorry bud lumped you in with me). But you need to step up and post some pics of your said mods! :2thumbs:

11. Whistler

Whistler Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Big Dog K-9 EFI, 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
    I'm ingnorant of how the speedo is assembled:
    1. When you pull the Autometer out of the pod housing, is there still a glass face in the pod?
    2. If this is the case, maybe the moisture problem in not inside the Autometer, but in the pod enclosure around the Autometer. However, just read Ratman's response where gelpacks and gromments in the pod didn't solve the problem.

Please respond to question #1 and I'll be glad to help/experiment to solve this problem for us. Thanks.

Whistler :bang: :bang: :bang:

12. Ratman

Ratman Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2007 Big Dog Mastiff
    On my mastiff...you can remove the speedo without removing the gas tank. You loosen 2 screws under the speedo bracket holding the pod (BE SURE TO COVER GAS TANK), and gently push the speedo cable up through the pod holding bracket while lifting speedo pod ...and move "up and towards" the back of cycle to prevent any kinks in speedo cable. At that point look under the pod, and there is one hex set screw to remove. When you remove it, the autometer part pulls out. (Seperates at the "joint" which looks like a trim ring about 1" deep around the outer circumference of the pod) all in one piece with cable attached. I removed the rubber plug in back of autometer and made up my own...then laid 4 silica gel packs taped together in the pod "on top" of the rear bracket of autometer so it would be near plug opening. Re-assembled pod...put 2 3/16 rubber washers between the pod and bracket to help reduce vibration of needle and help align front pod height with rear pod height/grommet. (Cut a 1/4 " ID grommet in half (like you slice a bagel), then cut in half the other way so it would fit around speedo cable without disconnecting cable. Put an extra piece of grommet in the cable hole first as a filler, then slid my "made up" grommet in place with "slit" facing rear of bike.) Re-attached pod (with rubber washers) and got a smooth fit with no binding. Sorry-no photos...but I do want to be like "The Gas" when I grow up. Have not rode bike since Monday...so don't know if silica has done any additional drying out. Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.