Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How To - ARGUS Battery Bug Installation

Discussion in 'How-To' started by Raywood, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulldog03

Bulldog03 POIDOG

My Bike(s):
    2003 Bulldog and a 2006 Streetglide
    Any updates? I got 13.1v on tender 14+v while bike running and 39% battery life at start-up it was at 41% earlier. Still, I'm satisfied with the voltage output reading :up: let's you know the charging systems still working..

2. Nomad2day

Nomad2day Longhair Redneck Geek

My Bike(s):
    Gone but not forgotten 07 Bulldog, Now a 1966 Harley Davidson FL Electra Glide
    First Name:
    Neil
    I just removed mine and laid it on the shelf. I will probably give it to one of my Harley friends who is having electrical issues and perhaps they can use it to help track down a voltage/wiring issue. It just bothers me seeing low readings with a new battery even though I understand my takes a good ump to fire but even with electronic compression releases it wants to tell me my new battery is crap. I can or rather just live without seeing that everyday when I take mine off the battery tender to ride it.
    Neil

3. Pir8Jack

Pir8Jack Member

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog Chopper 2004, Buell Ulysses XT 2008
    First Name:
    Dan
    I went to their website and it says the motorcycle ones are only for bikes up to 1500cc.They had one for cars that would more represent our engines.Was wondering if this would be more appropriate for our dawgs or if motorcycles and cars are too different? Any ideas on this?

4. thexaulted

thexaulted Member

My Bike(s):
    2003 Big Dog Chopper with NO EHC & 1999 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide, 16" Ape Hangers and some rake!
    First Name:
    Rich
    Cut the ends off of mine, soldered some alligator style clips onto it and guess what? Now its my compact digital voltmeter that I keep in my travel toolbox that I take with me when I trailer the bikes to rallies:up:

5. Pir8Jack

Pir8Jack Member

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog Chopper 2004, Buell Ulysses XT 2008
    First Name:
    Dan
    The tech Ray talked to mentioned increasing the wire guage to a bigger wire to the starter and it got me thinking.... this seems to me to be a good idea.It would in theory make our starts less demanding on the battery thus increasing battery life. Does anyone know of a reason it would be detrimental to do this or does my theory thinkin not inline with practicality.

6. Raywood

Raywood The Pirate
    Staff Member Supporting Member Calendar Participant

My Bike(s):
    2014 KMW Regulator
    First Name:
    Ray
    This guy makes some of the best cables out there and I will be replacing mine with these. Gold ends and heavy wires. Come from the speaker/stereo market I believe. He's not very expensive either! :D

Cold Riders Yooper Page.

7. bdmridgeback

bdmridgeback Low Down Chop Shop

My Bike(s):
    '05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Jake
    My Big Boar 350 CCA battery made one hell of a difference too. Back when I had an EHC in the bike and the stock 270 cca battery, If my bike sat for more than 10 days, It wouldn't start. Recently while remodeling my kitchen, my bike sat in a 95 degree garage for 4 weeks without a tender on it and not being touched. It cranked right over and fired better than the day I brought it home! The 350cca Big Boar cranks the starter over a bit faster than the stock battery or an Interstate does.

Also I have been thinking...

Seens how the EHC has a draw on the battery while sitting, how about a battery disconnect switch like the street rodders use? It will isolate the battery from the EHC while sitting and then the Tender won't be needed or It could be used in junction with it. I think It may cut down on some of the stress on the battery and EHC from low voltages and not cost much to do either.

Here is a MINI battery disconnect switch I found:

BEP Marine Mini Battery Disconnect Switch - 701 - BoatersWorld.com

Blue Sea 6006 m-Series (Mini) Battery Switch Single Circuit ON/OFF

#47 bdmridgeback, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  8. LDO

LDO The Cleaner
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    03 Mastiff
    Damn fine question for Ohmster or NightTrain...

9. Fibersnake

Fibersnake Banjo Playing PsychoBilly

My Bike(s):
    2005 BD Mastiff 2009 Buell 1125R
    That would seem to be correct. If using basic Ohm's law, the bigger cable typicaly would have less resistence and thus allow less heat from the higher amps, greater amperage flow to the starter, etc. All good and any time there is restriction there is heat, when it gets hot, even more restriction, all created more heat at the battery and less life.

That said, I am sure that BD designed using a proper cable for their systems based on a certain parameter such as something along 2 15 sec cranking cycles before getting too hot. Have a bigger cable would help, especially if having a higher load.

Just thinkk of how hot a cheap set pair of jumper cables of low AWG can get compared to the good ole ones made out of 00 AWG welding cable with proper clamps.

If one does change though, make sure that the proper connectors are used for the bigger wire gauge.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Gas Man

Gas Man Cool isn't cheap
    Supporting Member Calendar Participant

What ever happened with these? I saw ray's in his rebuild thread still hooked to the bike. What's up with everybody else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.