Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How To - ARGUS Battery Bug Installation

Discussion in 'How-To' started by Raywood, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raywood

Raywood The Pirate
    Staff Member Supporting Member Calendar Participant

My Bike(s):
    2014 KMW Regulator
    First Name:
    Ray
    Here is a simple installation of the "Battery Bug".

[​IMG]

First I would like to thank Mad Dog for arranging this group buy on this product. It seems to me now after installing it that it can help out a lot with battery issues you may have in the future. Thanks Don. :2thumbs:

Ok, first some info on the product. It monitors your battery just as you suspect it does but seems from reading the instructions it bases a lot of it's information on history after installation so I would advise all of you to start with a fully charged battery. So those of you that don't think you need a battery tender or only use it when your bike is put up for a long period I would really advise you give your battery a full charge before connecting this product up.

[​IMG]

This "Bug" has a one minute start-up programming. The display alternates the battery voltage and the starting health of your battery. It uses an analog "fuel gauge" display to graphically show you the health of your battery.

It also shows you starting performance of last start, has a weak battery indicator and a replace battery indicator.

The weak battery icon comes on when the battery strength goes below 30%.
    When starting health drops below 10% the "replace battery" icon turns on and an audible alarm will sound for 30 seconds after the engine is turned off.
    There is a "low temp" icon also if the temp gets to 14 degrees or below.

[​IMG]

Pretty kool little device here (my watch next to it for comparison) and here is how I installed mine. I will tell you the instructions state to install the "RED" lead and install the "GROUND" lead and thats it. Easy, anybody can do it.

[​IMG]

First thing I did was determine where I was going to put this thing. Things are a bit cramped in my battery compartment on an 05 Chopper. But I figured the best place to put the "Bug" was on top of the wiring harness. So I cleaned the surface with an alcohol swab and remove the tape on the back of the supplied Velcro and stuck it to the harness. Fit great in there albeit tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this picture you see all the wire they give you. Well that's just to much. I only need a 10" pigtail so I cut all the "2 meters" of wire with some dikes. 2 meters is about 78" of wire so way more than you need.
    [​IMG]

If you have room or you don't like cutting and soldering or crimping then you can leave it alone but I wanted mine tight and clean!
    [​IMG]

Then I broke out my trusty soldering iron and with a little flux and some soldering wire I reconnected the wire to the nice end pieces. You could just cut the wire strip it and add new connectors but I didn't have red and black connectors so I soldered on the originals. I don't like having other colors on the battery cause long ago a mechanic in San Diego re-connected my battery tender leads wrong after they have broken off and were replace by the mechanic with other colors!! :rant:
    [​IMG]

I added shrink tubing to the main lead and to each of the terminal leads. After I soldered them up I heated up the shrink wrap on the leads and then covered the whole thing with the main lead wrap and heated that up. Nice and clean now.
    [​IMG]

Now it's just a matter of wiring it up "RED" first then "GROUND" and let it program itself and your done. Here it's indicating I have 100% cranking health.
    [​IMG]

And 12.5 volts. I had turned the key on and let it cycle and sit for a while as I was taking pictures. It had started with 13.2 but then drained down some with the headlight on. But started right up!
    [​IMG]

I then cranked the bike up and it started as usual and this is what I got. Looks like 14.3 volts so guess the VR is working (this number was fluctuating between 14.2 - 14.5)!
    [​IMG]

Aaaahhhh, but it tells me my battery on has 10% live left in it. Again as I stated previously this works on history and algorithms I imagine so I will let it go for a while and see if it changes. Notice I have the weak battery icon on also.
    [​IMG]

But here it is again while idling showing a good charge.
    [​IMG]

Overall I think this is a great little product and I would be happy to hear from others on what battery health listing it's showing for your own battery. My battery is just over a year old so with a 10% showing I want to see if it changes over the next week or two.

Easy to do and not a bad price for this little thing.
    [​IMG]

2. Eric

Eric Banned

First Name:
    Eric
    has any one thought of a good location to mount these where thay can be monitored while riding?? so if VR quits or breakes trips youll know, wonder why it wasnt included in the speedo to start with??

3. chacha

chacha Chaff Your EHC!!
    Calendar Participant

My Bike(s):
    2001 Nightrain, 2014 Indian Vintage, 2006 Bulldog (sold)
    First Name:
    Mister Fucking Wonderful
    Nice How-to Raywood!

I think the idea of a "battery monitor" for anything other than a satellite is pretty crazy, but you did a great job on how to install it....

4. Nomad2day

Nomad2day Longhair Redneck Geek

My Bike(s):
    Gone but not forgotten 07 Bulldog, Now a 1966 Harley Davidson FL Electra Glide
    First Name:
    Neil
    Good job Ray,
    I just put a new Harley Battery in tonight and did not even think about hooking my battery bug up. I will do it this weekend...

5. scubaman15

scubaman15 Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2007 BDM Chopper- 2007 HD CVO
    Nice Job Ray.... do a follow up latter on to let us know if this little gadget is worth it:2thumbs:

6. alhall88

alhall88 UAW

Good job Ray, is there a mode that displays any value for cranking amps?

7. Raywood

Raywood The Pirate

My Bike(s):
    2014 KMW Regulator
    First Name:
    Ray
    That would have been a nice option but no CCA info.

:cheers:

8. stlmikie

stlmikie I wish I had more money.

My Bike(s):
    03 Mastif
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sweet Polex homie!

9. lee

lee Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2005 Big Dog custom build and Buell custom build
    nice job Ray

10. Nomad2day

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Neil
    I put mine in with a new battery from Harley and I am kinda confused here. It shows 13.6 volts and a 46% battery life after the first crank an has a new battery. Rode it all day yesterday and it now shows a 26% life left. Yes it always on a battery tender.....I am not impressed at the moment but not sure of what....I now have a weak battery indicator now on the unit because it is below 30% starting performance.
    I am going to reset the unit by disconnecting it and start over and see what happens then.....
    If anything it will make a good voltage indicator without having to use a meter,,,
    Neil

11. 117bigdog

117bigdog Bring It!

My Bike(s):
    2005 bigdog chopper
    how much did this cost?

12. Nomad2day

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Neil
  13. 117bigdog

117bigdog Bring It!

My Bike(s):
    2005 bigdog chopper
    just saw it thanks nomad

14. Raywood

Raywood The Pirate

My Bike(s):
    2014 KMW Regulator
    First Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, mine is down to 0% battery life now. Again I think this runs on some kind of Algoritium so might have to run with some time on it.
    But it still gives you the vital info of cranking volts and running voltage.
    I'm going to reset mine also and I will email the company and see what they have to say about it.

:cheers: :2thumbs:

15. slamaking

slamaking Ranger the F*ck up!

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K-9
    First Name:
    Tony
    I also installed this before my Rolling Thunder trip. Coming up from Florida I got rained on until I got into Florence. Well I had my piaa riding lights on during the rain storm for extra visability. I noticed the alarm going off during one of my gas stops. It showed that I had 0% left as well. Once I got back I put it on the charger and it still shows 0%. I too am interested what will happen once I disconnect and reconnect it.

Let us all know what the company says.

16. thexaulted

thexaulted Member

My Bike(s):
    2003 Big Dog Chopper with NO EHC & 1999 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide, 16" Ape Hangers and some rake!
    First Name:
    Rich
    Yea I like it but disconnected it because the alarm was sounding and showing my battery at a low percentage I think it was 10%. Reset it and checked the bat with my regular meter and it seems to be testing OK. Bat is only about 6 months old. Reset but still doing the same thing. The alarm was even going off when I was plugged into the tender so I am not sure what's going on!

17. stlmikie

stlmikie I wish I had more money.

My Bike(s):
    03 Mastif
    First Name:
    Mike
    Not looking good boys!

18. slamaking

slamaking Ranger the F*ck up!

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K-9
    First Name:
    Tony
    I disconnected it last night to reset the device. The battery has been on the charger since I got back from Rolling Thunder. I reconnected and it says I have 100%. Still not sure about the whole 0% thing....

19. LDO

LDO The Cleaner
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    03 Mastiff
    Haven't installed it yet. Guess I'll 'shelf' this item until we get word back from the mfr.:bang:

20. barhopper

barhopper Another round please

My Bike(s):
    04 RSD Bulldog
    Sounds like a P.O.S. Send it back LDO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.