Ground Problem RIP kit

tcrowelljr

My 2004 Chopper would shut down also. I replaced the Thunderheart ignition with a Daytona and it went away. Found out later it may have been the cam sensor and that's easy to change. Swap out the Cam Sensor, if it still does it, change the ignition.

Bryanh27

Lunatic
well low an behold the problem is still there happy happy me. Until now I haven't had a problem since the ignition switch swap. Last night leaving the hospital I didn't make it out the parking lot and it shut down popped the clutch it fired back up I made it out to the highway. Drove for maybe 100 yards and it shut down pulled over tried to crank it and it wouldn't start. Pulled the see thunder heart not lighting up. switch it of turned it back on same thing. waited a few seconds hit the start button it fires up. put the seat back on and drive another 200 yards and does it again take the seat off same thing no light. try to crank still no light hit the run light comes on try to crank it no light wit a few seconds hit start it fires up ride it another 15 miles home nothing happens. I personally don't get it and it slightly pisses me off. Thought about changing the module out but wanna be sure though.

If I need to start a new thread I will just let me know:)

Bryanh27

Lunatic
read a thread labeled Thunder heart problems. Seems to have had the same symptoms as my bike but I cant say I seen what the fix was.

tcrowelljr

Mine would start back up when i hit the run button. Somehow is was losing the signal to stay on. The Cam Sensor is inexpensive, I would change that first. I went to the Daytona ignition and Curtis from Wild Steed Worx gave us the wiring diagram. I did read somewhere that it could have been a bad cam sensor though, that's why i'd try that first.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
read a thread labeled Thunder heart problems. Seems to have had the same symptoms as my bike but I cant say I seen what the fix was.
It's possible it's the cam sensor or it's a wire shorting out somewhere.

Check the pins going into the thunderheart they seem to break often enough. I had the ground pin break along with some others.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

cdogg556

Guru
well low an behold the problem is still there happy happy me. Until now I haven't had a problem since the ignition switch swap. Last night leaving the hospital I didn't make it out the parking lot and it shut down popped the clutch it fired back up I made it out to the highway. Drove for maybe 100 yards and it shut down pulled over tried to crank it and it wouldn't start. Pulled the see thunder heart not lighting up. switch it of turned it back on same thing. waited a few seconds hit the start button it fires up. put the seat back on and drive another 200 yards and does it again take the seat off same thing no light. try to crank still no light hit the run light comes on try to crank it no light wit a few seconds hit start it fires up ride it another 15 miles home nothing happens. I personally don't get it and it slightly pisses me off. Thought about changing the module out but wanna be sure though.

If I need to start a new thread I will just let me know:)
That sounds identical to what my bike was doing, I just never knew when it was gunna run or die, drove me nuts! You say you have the RIP kit, strange that your having issues similar to an EHC failure with an RIP kit, I wonder if there have been others with the same issues with the RIP? If you can determine if your ignition modle is good then it might be worth just biting the bullet and getting either Doc's ESC, or Axel's unit.

cdogg556

Guru
You know I am thinking back on my 05 bulldog I had an issue where the bike was dieing out like that and it was the wires under the tank shorting out, you might wanna check it out first.

Reddickracing

That's the reason I love this group, checked my battery connections like I should have been doin and sure enough the neg post was starting to melt. Wires were loose. Hope it didn't mess anything else up. Will find out tmrw on a poker run.

Bryanh27

Lunatic
You know I am thinking back on my 05 bulldog I had an issue where the bike was dieing out like that and it was the wires under the tank shorting out, you might wanna check it out first.
all wires under the tank look good no broke connections no bare wires. Ive been all over the bike and haven't seen anything that would cause this problem so far.

cdogg556

Guru
all wires under the tank look good no broke connections no bare wires. Ive been all over the bike and haven't seen anything that would cause this problem so far.
10-4, Roger that! Just offering some possible problem area's that I have expierienced myself. :)

Bryanh27

Lunatic
10-4, Roger that! Just offering some possible problem area's that I have expierienced myself. :)
Yes sir and thank you. I've pulled the tank before the last big ride. Re connected everything an put new heat shrink on the connections. Most of that ride down the coast it shutdown until I was headed home for 100 plus miles it didn't shutdown at all. Replaced the key switch and probably didn't shutdown for over a month and now here we are :)

cdogg556

Guru
Yes sir and thank you. I've pulled the tank before the last big ride. Re connected everything an put new heat shrink on the connections. Most of that ride down the coast it shutdown until I was headed home for 100 plus miles it didn't shutdown at all. Replaced the key switch and probably didn't shutdown for over a month and now here we are
I hate electrical problems! I just changed my plug wires last night, took it out for a ride, got on it a bit and it fuk'n dies like it's running outta fuel! Wait a minute fires up but dies again, I'm like shit! Now I am stuck down the hill from home! Wait again and fire it up and ride home, the only thing I could see was there was a really fine fibre of the plug wire comming out of the boot and was touching the head, after I moved it away from the head it seems fine, but who knows......:oldbang: :oldsmile:

Bryanh27

Lunatic
I hate electrical problems! I just changed my plug wires last night, took it out for a ride, got on it a bit and it fuk'n dies like it's running outta fuel! Wait a minute fires up but dies again, I'm like shit! Now I am stuck down the hill from home! Wait again and fire it up and ride home, the only thing I could see was there was a really fine fibre of the plug wire comming out of the boot and was touching the head, after I moved it away from the head it seems fine, but who knows......:oldbang: :oldsmile:

I don't know that mine is that simple. I will say that the dog hasn't left me stranded as of now and hasn't really ever failed to start back up if it is right away or 5 mins later. Although this problem is really depressing especially when I have the sexiest bike in the group but also the only one shutting down. I honestly fear that one day its not gonna fire back up and I am no where near home. That will be a real bummer....o_O:nonod:

I will definitely take that into consideration trust me!!:oldhardlaugh::old2:
This is a long shot but go through the jst connections and see if any of the wires are loose. They may be in the connection but not seated in the connector. This happened to me and caused electrical issues. After about 4 months of pulling my hair out I found it by light pulling on the wire to the jst connector and had one that pulled right out.