Get rid of the Rubber!

Energy One

spadesluck

Ever since getting back from my stint in Afghanistan my bike just has not rode right. At certain speeds the bike had a severe shake/vibration. It would shake so bad it seemed it was trying to buck my tank off the bike. It has been driving me nuts for awhile. I looked over the whole front end, checked for loose bolts, checked for loose handlebars, tried tightening the stem bolt. Nothing seemed to work.

Well my last resort, I went ahead and just replaced the rubber handlebar bushings with some polyurethane ones (theory would tell us these would ride harder). All I can say now is WOW :whoop:. The bike is a dream to ride again with no more shakes and smoother that the day I bought her. The old rubber ones did not look bad but apparently they where.

If you have similar problems its worth a try. For $16 shipped from Ebay why not? :up:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Ever since getting back from my stint in Afghanistan my bike just has not rode right. At certain speeds the bike had a severe shake/vibration. It would shake so bad it seemed it was trying to buck my tank off the bike. It has been driving me nuts for awhile. I looked over the whole front end, checked for loose bolts, checked for loose handlebars, tried tightening the stem bolt. Nothing seemed to work.

Well my last resort, I went ahead and just replaced the rubber handlebar bushings with some polyurethane ones (theory would tell us these would ride harder). All I can say now is WOW :whoop:. The bike is a dream to ride again with no more shakes and smoother that the day I bought her. The old rubber ones did not look bad but apparently they where.

If you have similar problems its worth a try. For $16 shipped from Ebay why not? :up:
got a link for the bushings? I am curious might replace these when I redo the seals on my forks.:2thumbs:

spadesluck

I got them from outlawcycleproducts on Ebay but they do not seem to have on listed at the moment. If you just do a search for Harley polyurethane riser bushings you will get many choinces.

spadesluck

Just regular harley handlebar bushing is all you need to look for. They are either rubber, polyurethane, and I have seen some solid ones.

erldawg

Guru
Did u verify the upper motor mount is tight? If my memory serves me right I thought a loose on would cause vibration issues

Husker-Wolf

Do these things come in different sizes? I ordered Drag Specialties
DS-290573 and they are smaller in diameter by about a 1/2" than what's in mine currently.

GKC

Do these things come in different sizes? I ordered Drag Specialties
DS-290573 and they are smaller in diameter by about a 1/2" than what's in mine currently.
The ones I got from Biker's Dream have this information on the package. I have an '08 Mutt:

Arlen Ness
Part # DS-290571
Poly Riser Bushing Kit 84-11 HD
Vendor Part # 08-005

I replaced mine this weekend. The old ones were 4 years old and looked ok. It did make a noticeable reduction in mirror shake and took some vibration out of the grips. Manual called for 65 ft./lbs. torque on the bolts and a dab of blue threadlocker.

SCOTTx88

Did mine tonight, WOW!! What a difference, my handlebars even sit higher, didnt realize how tweaked the factory rubber ones were. Definitely recommend it.

Viking

Biker
Super good info, I got cramps in my hand today and my iPhone holder broke off due to the vibrations....Let's see if this works...