FUNNY THING HAPPENED TO THE BD....

awg

Guru
I decided to change the front brake pads on the BD. They were getting thin and since I already bought the Z-Pads I figured what the heck! Well before I started I made sure the brake fluid was full and I left the lid on loose so when I push in the pistons there would be room for the fluid to exit. Well all went well on installing. But when I tried the brake lever well....no brakes! No pressure. No leaks either. I can only figure that when I did the front brakes something in the master took a shit? I guess I will rebuild the master cylinder and see how that goes. I didn't bother to bleed the brakes since I didn't lose any fluid and it was full to begin with. O well...another winter project.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I decided to change the front brake pads on the BD. They were getting thin and since I already bought the Z-Pads I figured what the heck! Well before I started I made sure the brake fluid was full and I left the lid on loose so when I push in the pistons there would be room for the fluid to exit. Well all went well on installing. But when I tried the brake lever well....no brakes! No pressure. No leaks either. I can only figure that when I did the front brakes something in the master took a shit? I guess I will rebuild the master cylinder and see how that goes. I didn't bother to bleed the brakes since I didn't lose any fluid and it was full to begin with. O well...another winter project.
Remove the cap again and just pump up the handle. You can watch the inside of the reservoir and see if air is escaping or until it pumps out just a fluid stream. When I did my front brakes last month it took a lot of pumps to get pressure. Not sure why you lost your pressure but shit happens. Oh, you'll like the Z-Pads

:cheers:

shovelcowboy

Calendar Participant
I'll bet you need to bleed them. I have had a hard time on new front installs getting the master reservoir and line full and bled.

Shovelcowboy

Moespeeds

Pump that lever and see if you can get them back. If not, start at the top banjo bolt, hold the lever in, crack the bolt, tighten bolt, release lever and pump. Do this for the bottom banjo bolt, then bleed the caliper. Sometimes when you open the pistons on the caliper it will force air bubbles down there up into your line, and they usually hang up in the banjo fittings. It's also a good idea to crack and bleed each banjo when you bleed your brakes. You'll be surprised, you usually get some air out of them.