Fork tool bag -- Extreme.

Energy One

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
So I'm here in the rain and planning some trips and trying to figure out how to get everything on the K-9 that I need. One of the things I'd like is something I could lock. I also need more tool box space (tools and rain gear).

Well I've been thinking about most fork bags and they sit nicely on the fork tubes and waste the space between and behind the tubes -- First aha (years ago) Hey just put a smaller bag on the back of the forks -- great thought but never found a set that both attached well at the same time.

So, since I have a 3D printer, I decided to make my own bad out of plastic (covered with naughahye or vinyl, leather etc) I could make this strong enough to lock and securely attach to the bike.

Problem was I haven't done CAD in over 25years, never did 3D CAD even then. And I don't know any pof the CAD programs.

Why let that stop me, since I was sort of winging it design wise and learning CAD apps together, I ended up with OpenScad -- an open source CAD app that you design via MATH not drawing line
so to make a cube
cube(25)
a 25mm cube with a 20mm hole thru the center
difference(){ cube(25); translate([12.5,12.5,0]) cylinder(r=10,h=25);}

Ok, back in the day I was a bit a a math geek but that's been years since college and didn't do a lot of math in the IT industry.

So off I went (for the past several days/nights etc).

The mock up of this is as follows (started building it in pieces but is going to take days -- an estimate for print time as a single object was 126hrs, and I can't print that big anyway, so I have to break into multiple prints.

fork_bag.png fork_bag_top.png fork_bag_side.png fork_bag_front.png

3dview, top,side and front views

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Cool - I am still trying to understand the whole 3D Print thing. I need to see it in action I think.
take a 3d model, cross section it into layers along the z axis so you have however many pieces of thickness.
Melt some plastic and move the print head around in the x/y direction to put plastic whereever it is in the cross sectio that you are working on.
increment to next cross section
repeat till done.

there are lots of videos online showing it happening -- also look up slicing (since that how you go from 3d object to layers you can print)

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
take a 3d model, cross section it into layers along the z axis so you have however many pieces of thickness.
Melt some plastic and move the print head around in the x/y direction to put plastic whereever it is in the cross sectio that you are working on.
increment to next cross section
repeat till done.

there are lots of videos online showing it happening -- also look up slicing (since that how you go from 3d object to layers you can print)
Yea as I was typing that I figured there is a YouTube of the process...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

PROFLYER

SWOLE
I can't wait to see this! Once you're done with it I wonder if you could send that file to a company to mass produce/print it?

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I can't wait to see this! Once you're done with it I wonder if you could send that file to a company to mass produce/print it?
I looked at that and I'm going to have to redesign a bit to make it economical.
I'll likely have to set it up as a DIY with the making the corners pieces out of plastic and using aluminum for the structure (was always my intention to cover with vinyl or leather).
I had sent the file to one of the commercial spots to print it, the whole bag printed as 1 piece (commercially) was VERY,VERY price prohibitive.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Interesting, for me this has worked good this far.
I prefer not having to look over that all the time -- I use a bag like that on road trips with the rest of my luggage.
I've done the low too bag routine as well but they always end up misshappen and riding funny plus with the oil cooler its a pin to route line and straps.