Fed up with B.D. and S&S

Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdogtech01

We are not in kindergarten. This is getting out of control, especially when we are chastised for grammar. Enough. It is obvious we have strong opinions. If you love your bike and dry hump it, that's fine. If you want to lite the thing on fire, that's fine too. This is a Big Dog forum. Last I looked it wasn't only a I worship Big Dog forum. I am allowed to feel, think, and express myself differently then you, and we should be able to without being attacked. Some days I love my bike, but right now I hate the damn thing.
I dry hump my bike every time I ride it, haha. But seriously, I realize we are not on this site to play kindergarten bs. Just wanting to know why someone remains on this site who never has anything good to say about bigdogs...? If you hate them, find another site to go onto. OR!!! Maybe you should find yourself a good, qualified Technician to work on your bike and you may not have hatred towards the bike and the factory. This right here is one reason I left this site for several months. Too many stupid people just on here to cry and bitch all the time.

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
I bought an amazing Big Dog bike in 08’ and should have stopped there. The bike looked and ran amazing.
In hind sight, I much rather have saved 10K and had a perfectly good bike.
These bikes reliability factor is horrible at best.
========================================================
The poll asked if costs were all the same, which route would we go. In no way does it suggest anyone will do this that or the other. AND, of the 28,000+ bikes sold, only 145 people responded to the question, statistically, it is a micro fraction of a percent.

Personally, everything i have is modified and several toys run NOS, and the wife uses NOS a lot with no issues whatsoever, all in moderation of course. However, my big dog is an incredible motorcycle right from the factory and it has not been modded (pipes and a K&N is all). Like you said when you first got your mutt, "The bike looked and ran amazing", still does.

BDM came and went in a flash of history. They did an awesome job in the few years they were in business and if they were around as long as HD, no doubt they would be better. Harleys were not reliable and leaked for the first 50-70 plus years (or longer?) and somehow we expect more from a young fast growing upstart motorcycle co? Big Dogs are a hell of a lot of motorcycle and they did a hell of a damn good job and those involved are all top notch. I compliment BDM for all they did, all they tried to do and all they gave to the motorcycling community. :2thumbs:

My .02:cheers:

toadstool

The poll asked if costs were all the same, which route would we go. In no way does it suggest anyone will do this that or the other. AND, of the 28,000+ bikes sold, only 145 people responded to the question, statistically, it is a micro fraction of a percent.

Personally, everything i have is modified and several toys run NOS, and the wife uses NOS a lot with no issues whatsoever, all in moderation of course. However, my big dog is an incredible motorcycle right from the factory and it has not been modded (pipes and a K&N is all). Like you said when you first got your mutt, "The bike looked and ran amazing", still does.

BDM came and went in a flash of history. They did an awesome job in the few years they were in business and if they were around as long as HD, no doubt they would be better. Harleys were not reliable and leaked for the first 50-70 plus years (or longer?) and somehow we expect more from a young fast growing upstart motorcycle co? Big Dogs are a hell of a lot of motorcycle and they did a hell of a damn good job and those involved are all top notch. I compliment BDM for all they did, all they tried to do and all they gave to the motorcycling community. :2thumbs:

My .02:cheers:
Shit, now you pipe in too? Microfraction... Really, who cares? It was a poll you answered, agreeing you would choose to take a non BDM part over a BDM part... Period. Enough with the BS. Take microfractions of my quotes, use them in other context, pretend you know what I am talking about, and make youeself feel good. No matter how much you act like a bully, Big Dog is still gone. Get over it.... I did.

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Just using your words, in their complete sentence.
Still trying to figure out how 144 voters and I on a poll represent 77 percent of this forum. Last I looked the forum had more than 200 members.
But hey toadstool, we get it, we all do...:D

Ok everyone, I was bored and read mr T's mussings, Sunday night comedy is over for me and hope all have an awesome week with some incredible riding. Stay safe out there.

Last edited:

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
When I bought my Big Dog in 2008, it was one of 3,500 bikes made that year by BDM. What the hell is custom about a factory making 3,500 bikes…. Not a damn thing. You went into a dealership and bought a bike. You did not have any say in the frame, wheels, motor, etc. Custom my ass. For being mass produced, the reliability should be better. These bikes reliability factor is horrible at best. You can hide behind your myth that custom means constantly breaking down, but the truth is the engineering that went into these bikes sucks. Before you get all pissy again, if the engineering was so great, why is everyone jumping at the wire plus, thunderheart, and Dakota digital speedos? EXACTLY my point. Don’t slam someone for bitching, sometimes we need to vent. If Honda made a bike that looked as good as mine, I would buy it in a heartbeat because I know it would be reliable.
By the way, by your own definition a Honda Fury is more custom then a BigDog since only 6000 Fury’s were made. Sounds stupid doesn’t it. You had as much say on your bike as a Fury owner did on theirs… the paint color and that’s about it.
I have a 03 Chopper. I have had few problems. BUT, my bike was made before BDM did there own EHC.

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
Well I have an 2005 (yea so called worse year), basic mod is a 600 cam, pipes and that is it. I have gone through 3 EHC, the first was replaced in perfect working condition due to TSB and changed to newest type, that one had a pin broken by me during a cleaning of the connection causing the oil pressure light to not work, I removed it and saved it and replaced with new, that one got fried due to chaffed wire on power harness, replaced with saved old second one.

That one went fine and still is good (minus oil pressure light due to brokne pin caused by me), but replaced with PDM to try it out and so far that is good.

First starter went out due to bad seal and was repalced within the first few months, the current one is the second and has been going strong with no issues or leaks for over 6 years.

On third battery and none of them have been anything more than plain Jane types.

Just short of 30k on the bike now, would not hestiate to go anywhere on it.

May be lucky, but I have a feeling that I am more like typical BD owners (not only forum members) than most would think.

It is not perfect, but I do not consider it a POS of shit either.

I also have a Buell 1125r that was built under HD leadership and they have been known to have stator going out way too early (I have a new EBR modified one sitting on the shelf for when it does). Had to have the ECM reflashed already, had to have charging systems modified under Recall (to address the charging issue). It has less than 4k on it, but would not trade it either.

My bud just got a new HD Delux and had to have it back in shop within the first month due to the wire spokes were coming loose and throwing balance out (common issue). He is enjoying it also.

Point is with the excpetion of my wifes old Honda 750 ( 2003 zilch problems, litteraly zero problems, even same origianl battery), most bikes can give good days and bad days. I do not feel that HD is any better than BD, nor worse.

Most are realiable if left as designed with many years of enjoyable use, when mods are done, some benefits may be gain but many times, some realiability is lost. When one has the work done by others, good chance that those others may not be as good as one thinks and that they are paying them for.

Best to learn to work on it yourself, keep it maintained, keep it simple and go out and enjoy the ride, when they break down, fix them and get back on the road.

If you do not work on it yourself and do find a good mechanic that knwos what they are doing and just not spinning wrenchs but have no idea of how to really troublshoot, feel blessed. Way too many parts changers out there with a shingle out be it MC, Autos or what not.

Hell I just had a conversation with a Honda Service center the other day trying to give me BS about how threads typically wear out for the drain plug and thus that is why they were fixing the drip from my wifes ooil pan with a Fing Helicoil. Of course I reminded them that I took it in after last oil change complaining of a small drips and at that time they set it was residue from the change. had to remind them what a Fing Torque wrench is for and why Honda has a spec for such-if the Helicoil fix start leaking they will be held to replace the pan due to their inept mechanic tht just took the old feel and tighten the drian plug down (and most likely didn't change out the seal-thus tighten it beyond specs) and not to proper torque until the threads eventualy failed.-(Yea Certified my butt)-oh did I fail to mention that the Honda dealer is the only that has ever touched the car for service. Off soap box-BTW

Eveyone go riding, and have a good ride for me and aftewards a good drink.

toadstool

Just using your words, in their complete sentence.
Still trying to figure out how 144 voters and I on a poll represent 77 percent of this forum. Last I looked the forum had more than 200 members.
But hey toadstool, we get it, we all do...:D

Ok everyone, I was bored and read mr T's mussings, Sunday night comedy is over for me and hope all have an awesome week with some incredible riding. Stay safe out there.
Once again, I never said 77% of the forum. I was referencing 77% (78.62% for those of you nit-picking) of the voters. Good day to everyone! Weathers fine here, but unfortunately the bike only has one working cylinder.... no fault of BDM FYI :D
Over and out

Attachments

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
I never ever said it was BDMs fault. Don't create words to support your point of view. As far as the modified EHC, you and 77% of this forum voted that they would do away with their BDM version for an aftermarket version. That's Damn close to "everyone" in my eyes.
:eek::loony::loony::loony:

Chrisnjax

I've just bought an 05 Pitbull.and yea it has issues , speedily Rachel clutch .. but you know nothing looks like it runs like it ! I can park beside 50 tricked Harleys and folks walk right up to.mine ... But .. you have to.listen to the bike read this forum educate yourself .. I could have purchased another rice cruiser an purred around like anyone else .. but I'm a proud DOG owner .. does it have quality issues Yup... Unfortunate but it was a mass produced custom .. an unfortunate statement about an American built bike ... However .. I open the garage door to check on it .. I Finn and polish it .. I ride and territory it ..... Pay some to.play .. Yup again .. but play hard and in style .. nothing like embarrassing a weekend Harley crowd .. Love my Dog !!!

RRRUFF

I've just bought an 05 Pitbull.and yea it has issues , speedily Rachel clutch .. but you know nothing looks like it runs like it ! I can park beside 50 tricked Harleys and folks walk right up to.mine ... But .. you have to.listen to the bike read this forum educate yourself .. I could have purchased another rice cruiser an purred around like anyone else .. but I'm a proud DOG owner .. does it have quality issues Yup... Unfortunate but it was a mass produced custom .. an unfortunate statement about an American built bike ... However .. I open the garage door to check on it .. I Finn and polish it .. I ride and territory it ..... Pay some to.play .. Yup again .. but play hard and in style .. nothing like embarrassing a weekend Harley crowd .. Love my Dog !!!

:2thumbs::cheers:

wardog

Air Force Blue
:job:If you don't like Burger King go to McDonalds, If you don't like shoes go barefoot. Fix it or sell it and get on with your life.....:bang:

barhopper

Another round please
I wouldnt trade by bike for anything. I ride it and she takes care of me. I have modified the motor and she is fast. Completely reliable. Harley and thier 50 HP bikes can kiss my ass, and you can keep your rice burners. BDM did a awesome joib, I hope they one day get to build bikes again.

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
Between my wife's '03 Mastif and my '05 Pitbull, Big Dog has taught me patience and greatly improved my mechanical skills, all along while satisfying my desire for adrenaline and kickin ass running along side of my buddies riding Harleys. What else could you ask for?

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
Hell No!

Hell no this has more pages than the windshield thread!!!:roll::roll::roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.