Ever Had this happen?

Energy One

Byrddogg

me and a few friends were riding sat. dad was on his '05 chopper, he has had for about 3wks., after a long day of riding on the way home I look back and dads on the side of the road. When i get there his bracket that holds his front caliper( the 2 screws) came out . good thing we didn't get on the toll road and crankem up to 80+. bracket was hanging we finally got it out and wraped it up for the ride home about 40 or 50 miles. damage from what i saw was the disc was warped and really not alot after that a few scrathes. luckly he wasn't going very fast or who knows what would have happened. he's taking it to the shop tomorrow. he's praying that it will be ready before the rally(next week).

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
Can not say that I had it actually come off, but have had it come loose a few times. The bolts that hold it on are very short and with vibration they have shown a tendency to vibrate loose.

I carry a few extra in my tool bag just in case. Also the one that old the air cleaner on will work if needed.

What I have found the last time was to take them out and get some Brakekleen and spray the shit outof the blind holes, then using new bolts, apply the blue loctite and torque to specs. Make sure to allow the loctite to set up properly before using. So far I have nearly 5k on it with out any trouble.

I do make it a habbit to check all the bolts quickly often and then when I change oil or at least once a month during riding season, check all the bolts with a torque wrench (except head bolts).

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
You do have to keep an eye on things with these bikes - sometimes they will vibrate loose, especially if you don't use locktite as recommended. I had this problem with a rental K-9 in Phoenix last year. Here's the bike:

After riding for most of the day in very hot temperatures (115 - 135 on the highway), I heard a "ticking" sound coming from somewhere down and forward. The short story is that the shop had done a rush job on the front end, and installed the brake disk without locktite. All but one bolt had backed out.

By the time I figured out what the ticking noise was, the bolts had cut a 1/4" gouge into the left fork. (It was late at night, in thunderstorms - still 115 degrees out.)

Notice how the screw is flagged out due to rubbing the aluminum off the fork. There was obviously no locktite on the bolts.

It was a rather sobering thought that earlier we had been cruising comfortably along at 80 mph. Bottom line - get in the habit of doing a good thorough look-over before each ride (pilots call it a preflight inspection), especially if it is a new bike, or someone has been working on it.

Reactions: Tim

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Boy oh boy! The shop is sure going to pay for that one. Thats a bad safety issue and I would send those pics to BDM so they can send a notice to all dealers ensuring the mechanics install those properly.
Glad you're still with us.

Later,
Ray

Chopper Dave

SIICK!!!
Boy oh boy! The shop is sure going to pay for that one. Thats a bad safety issue and I would send those pics to BDM so they can send a notice to all dealers ensuring the mechanics install those properly.
Glad you're still with us.

Later,
Ray
Holy shit!! that could have been a Fu'kd up situation:eek: I would definately do what Ray said and send BDM those pics.....

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
Thats a bad safety issue and I would send those pics to BDM....

Later,
Ray
This whole incident occurred last summer - and shortly afterward, I had a business trip to Wichita, where I left BDM a whole set of pictures, and one of the bolts. The next time I went to Phoenix, they didn't rent Big Dogs any more - just Harleys.