Engine Crankshaft Seal

Bowhunter

I am putting a Baker Open Primary on my bike and I have read that the engine crankshaft seal should be reversed. The local H-D dealer is not overly helpful in trying to help with parts for Big Dogs. Does anyone have the H-D part # for the 117" motor so I can just ask for the seal by part #? Thanks for your help.

LamboV12

Yes - reverse it. Did a BDL on my bike, had a leak, fput the new seal in reverse and no more leak. Also was part of instruction that came with the drive -

Skydiver

I believe the Harley Number is "12068"
Awesome, thanks for your help. I called Orlando Harley and told them I needed an evo crank shaft seal without the part number he looked it up and said they didn't have it in stock and none of the other stores did either. I checked this thread and saw you posted the part number. I called the I-4 store with the part number and the guy says "oh, yeah I have four of them in stock." It pays to have the part number.

Skydiver

I believe the Harley Number is "12068"
Need to make a correction. I just drove to the Harley dealer and compared the 12068 crank seal and its NOT the correct one. Apparently the Orlando Harley parts guy at the Kissimmee store and the I-4 store were correct they do not have the seal in stock and the correct part number for the Evolution engine crank seal is: 12026B.

Bowhunter

Thanks Skydiver, I will call the local shop Monday and see if they have #12026B and if they do, I'll update the part# to be sure.

Sorry guys
They refer to that number as a "Sprocket Shaft Seal".
I can get the 12026B also they are about 2.50 a piece.
Here is a lower end image.
Item # 10 is what is refered to as the "Sprocket Shaft Seal" and it cross references to Harley # 12026B
SHould have an answer for you tomorrow Bow on the slam button.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bowhunter

Thanks Curtis, I will wait until you let me know about the slam button before I do anything about the seal. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.

john sachs

12026B is the proper motor sprocket seal for an EVO. :2thumbs:
12068 is a motor sprocket seal for a TWIN CAM.
We keep both in stock.
John

05 old dog

can this seal be changed without tearing down bottom end? any special tools needed? install with some kind of sealer or dry...im running a 4 inch karata and didnt change mine out 1 1/2 years or 3500 miles...thinkin about rebuild on tranny and replacing this seal...thanks for part number...

john sachs

You only have to remove your alternator rotor,(I would also remove the stater).
You'll need to take your time removing the seal. They can be a bitch to get out. Again, TAKE YOUR TIME. :bang:
You will also need to make or borrow a tool (tubing) to install the new seal. I put them in dry. Wipe a little oil on the rubber seal part.
John

Bowhunter

I got mine out in just a couple minutes by taking a very thin wood working chisel and bending the lip of the seal down to where I could catch it with a slide hammer and it tapped right out. I noticed what appeared to be a blue sealant on the rim of the old seal where it made contact with the engine case.