Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EHC Reset?

Discussion in 'Ignition / Electronics / Batteries' started by SKOGDOG, Mar 16, 2017.

1. SKOGDOG

SKOGDOG One of the old ones.

My Bike(s):
    2008 K9-2010 Bulldog Bagger
    First Name:
    Rick
    OK--this is a mystery and I have no explanation to advance with any confidence.
    I posted about the horrible trip Blacktopper and I had to Galveston Lone Star Rally last fall. My starter and charging system failed. Iron Mike's Shop worked on it, was unable to fix it, and charged $400. The owner Mike has an explosive temper, and got vicious. Gotta say I have never experienced anything like it from a businessman. When he couldn't fix it, he just parked it by the highway in front of his business and closed for the weekend. We picked it up and pull started it and headed to Dallas to get Derek and his guys to repair it at Strokers. On the way there, it quit running just like someone cut a puppet's strings--like I hit the kill switch (I didn't).
    Took the seat off and it was clear Iron Mike's shop made a rookie mistake---my ground side cable was loose..I mean rattling around loose. The bolt was tight because he cross-threaded it, but the cables were bouncing. We tightened it, and no go, so we figured the ECH was fried. Fortunately I bought a spare on EBay and have been carrying it around for years. We installed it and pull started it again, and it fired up. Rode into Dallas, and wound up spending $1100 in repairs fixing what needed fixed (killed me to do that when it could have all been done at home).
    Mystery: I threw the fried EHC in a baggie and brought it home. While puttering around preparing to install new lifters and quickie pushrods, I recalled we put in that EHC under emergency roadside conditions and didn't use and dielectric grease or anything. So I pulled the EHC and was going to do that, and I remembered that Th3 Infamous1 made a remark in passing, wondering if an EHC could reset itself. So--I removed the spare EHC and slapped in the original, and sure enough...red and yellow lights blinked, and boom! The bike fired. The EHC is not fried after all.
    Is there a reasonable explanation for this? We truly figured the thing was smoked.

chubs likes this.
  2. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    I really wonder if after all was said and done it wasn't all battery related. The battery you had didn't pass the load test at strokers.

I'd bet that starter you took back still works too!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

chubs and SKOGDOG like this.
  3. Mr. Wright

Mr. Wright Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    03 BD Chopper - 04 BD Chopper- 2002 1100 v-star
    First Name:
    Shannon
    You can reset the EHC by holding the positive and neg wires together. I realize you probably didn't do that, but yes, it might have reset itself. Sometimes when I jave something weird going on with a bike, I'll reset the EHC, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Viking, chubs and SKOGDOG like this.
  4. Big_B

Big_B New Member

My Bike(s):
    08 K-9 & 03 Redneck
    First Name:
    Brent
    I have an 08 K9 with a replacement EHC from Kansas Motorcycles works. Is it possible to reset it? Having issue after exact same incident with negative battery connection coming loose. Replaced battery and repaired all connections to it, but no spark and no lights to EHC module. Cranks over great though. Also, the neutral light flickers on for a brief second when the key is turned, but hen right back out. Any ideas?

chubs likes this.