Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EHC replacement

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Axel, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Axel

Axel Member

My Bike(s):
    2 x Shovelhead (old iron) and 1 Ridgeback 05 :-)
    First Name:
    Axel
    Just for info: We have found the issue after some measurements, changing the EHC and the ignition. It was a defect lithium battery bmu in the bike what had switched off when higher engine rpm had result in higher charge currents, following that the generator was hanging almost without load at the bike. A new battery solved the problem. It´s funny, what could happen sometimes...

Btw, since now I have increase the fuse in the EHC to the ignition to 2,5 Ampere, cause the replaced ignition had used almost 1,5 Ampere at higher engine speeds what might be a bit too close in my opinion to the 1,6 Ampere value what I have in the EHC, even when it is potted in epoxyd what works as heatsink cooler. I´ll ask the customer about the replaced ignition model and come back with the infos.

All the best!
    Axel

#661 Axel, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Axel

Axel Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Axel
    Hi,

Just an update: I had a few discussions with Curtis. He convinced me to change the software of my EHC in the way, that the ignition is first off when turning on the ignition key and only a press at the "Engine" button will activate the ignition. The starter button is disabled as long as the ignition is off. The ignition will stay in the off condition, when switching off instead of switching on again after 3 seconds. The new option is more similar to the original EHC. However, you can adjust the settings to the older (...and in my opinion a bit faster) option, what switches on the ignition after turning on the key if you choose the "left" button in the setting no. 7.

Curtis was so kind and had corrected my new manual, what already have implemented the new function. I attach it. The EHC with the software update will be available in about 2-3 weeks when I have tested it in my bike (if the weather will allow to ride...)

All the best!
    Axel

Attached Files:

Rottweiler likes this.
  3. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Very nice, axle. I think the original function of the EHC is nice. OFF until you hit run.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Unsprung likes this.
  4. Kobi

Kobi Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Ridgeback, 2004 CVO Deuce
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Axel, I am having trouble understanding exactly what changes you made and why. The Stop/Start mode changed now is Ignition mode? I assume you now control the ignition system with this function and not the Start button?

5. Matheny 514

Matheny 514 Active Member
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2005 Big Dog Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Justin
    Very cool, :old2:

6. Axel

Axel Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Axel
    Hi Kurt,

Yes, my describtions are often difficult to understand due to my lousy english ;-)

The new function works in the way, that you´ll need to press the "Engine On" button in order to switch on the ignition after turning on the key switch. The button press enables also the "start" button. You´ll only be able to start the engine AFTER the press on the "Engine On" button.

The older software switches on the ignition and allow to use the start button just by turning the key switch on.

I have wrote in the manual how to switch between the 2 modes, depending of your personal taste. I hope it helps.

All the best!
    Axel

7. Kobi

Kobi Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Axel,
    What was the issue that made you change your thinking on the programming?

8. Axel

Axel Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Axel
    Hi Kurt,

The older software switches on the ignition when the key is be turned on. A press on the "Engine" button has switched off the ignition for 2 seconds, before it was switched on again. Curtis told me that it makes sense to let the ignition in the off position when the "Engine" button was pressed and keep it off until the next press on the button. It´s just in case if somebody have trouble with his bike whille riding. The old software will switch the ignition on again after 2 seconds, what might result in trouble in this case. However, I haven´t had a similar situation before but Curtis had some clients, who asked for this function. So, I have implemented it and it is more similar to the software of the original box.

However, it´s not a big change in my opinion and I have implemented the old software in the box as well. So, everybody can choose his personal setting. For myself I prefer the older version, what is faster for me, but I understant that the new setting is a bit more save in a few situations.

Have fun !

All the best!
    Axel

chubs and Doggin it like this.
  9. PROFLYER

PROFLYER SWOLE

My Bike(s):
    06 K9, 06 Mastiff (wife's)
    First Name:
    Sutton
    How do we update our EHC's we have from you?

10. Axel

Axel Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Axel
    Hi Sutton,

Sorry, there is no possibility for an update, cause the box is complete potted and there is no port outside available. The older EHC versions work w/o problems and it´s just a small software update in my opinion. I hope it would be ok. However, just feel free to send me a mail if you feel unhappy with the old box and we´ll find a way.

All the best!
    Axel

11. PROFLYER

PROFLYER SWOLE

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Sutton
    ok thanks Axel. Still not sure exactly what changed @KaptinAmerika could you chime in here and let us know what the change is?

Also @Axel is there any way to add the factory air ride programming into your unit? I have a spare Axel unit sitting on the shelf I'd love to swap out but I'd then need to hard wire a switch and I can't find a clean way to do it.

12. Axel

Axel Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Axel
    Hi Sutton,

Hm, for driving the air ride I need to implement 2 electronic switches in the EHC, what is a bit tricky due to the small space inside and the small microcontroller, what have no more pin available. What do you think about a one button control, what control both directions? One press on the button will activate the pump as long as you press the button and one more press on the button will activate the release valve? I can change the software of my Multi Flasher relay (http://www.elektronikbox.de/mini_last_uk.html) in the required way. You can use one of the 2 bigger buttons in your handle bar (Head light switch or Engine switch) if you cut and separate one of the button cables and connect it to the updated Mini Flasher relay. In my EHC I have wire together the 2 button functions of the big buttons. That´s why you could have 2 spare buttons if you cut one cable per handle bar side. I hope you can follow my chaotic describtion ;-)

All the best!
    Axel

13. Axel

Axel Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Axel
    Hi Sutton,

... do you want me to draw it in the schematic of your bike? It´s much easier to understand if you look to a drawing.

All the best!
    Axel

francoblay1 and PROFLYER like this.
  14. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sutton the software update he made just requires you to hit the Run button to activate the ignition like the OEM setup prior to hitting the start button

The older software activated the ignition with the key turned on so you could just run key and push start.

Well technically the new updates gives you the option to toggle a preference between the two options.

1) Turn Key
    2) Hit Start

Update
    1) Turn Key
    2) Hit Run Button
    3) Hit Start

francoblay1 and PROFLYER like this.
  15. Kobi

Kobi Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Is there a way to keep the ignition off when the key is turned on for the older Axel units? I assumed the OFF/RUN button did that(OFF). I always turn key on, hit RUN, then hit START to start my bike. I assumed the ignition was OFF till I hit the RUN button.
    Eric, Can't both your options listed for the NEW EHC be done with step 7 on old Axel module?

#675 Kobi, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  16. Axel

Axel Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Axel
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for the good describtion. I wish, my english knowledge would be better ;-)

All the best!
    Axel

PROFLYER likes this.
  17. PROFLYER

PROFLYER SWOLE

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Sutton
    If you did that, could you update this EHC or would I need a new one? I'm not sure how many of us have the factory air ride, but that's the only thing holding me back on the install. Curtis said he could help me with a simple switch, now the problem is just finding where to mount it. I could drill a 3/4" hole in the left side cover and mount it there I suppose.

On the factory EHC you hit start and then the high/low button airs it up and down. Then start again to exit the option or just wait 10 seconds and it goes back to the high/low operating the headlight.

18. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Your English I can understand however I doubt you would understand my German, matter of fact neither would I! Haha

19. Axel

Axel Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Axel
    Hi Sutton,

My EHC can not converted to Air ride, but you can use an updated version of my Mini Switch Relay, what you can put under the seat and connect it to one unused button. I´ll contact Curtis and ask if it makes sense fix a few of Mini Switch Relay and put it together with the next order.

Do you know the power consumption of the pump ?

Eric, I found out that understanding other languages is much easier after a few beers...;-)

All the best!
    Axel

Rottweiler and francoblay1 like this.
  20. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Axle did we cover this in here somewhere? What is the amperage on draw on the starter? Did you keep the 100amp switch it knock it down to 40? I'm just looking at some random after market Harley starter relays and all seem to be at 30amps, but not sure that covers these big Inch motors.

I'm just looking at that new Munit blue, looks pretty slick!

TapioK likes this.