Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Documenting the rebuild of my Pro Sport 107 - motor, exhaust, etc and some WTFs

Discussion in 'Performance' started by LA_Dog, Dec 10, 2013.

1. francoblay1

francoblay1 The Spaniard

My Bike(s):
    K9 (2006)
    First Name:
    Franco
    Good luck!!! I was wondering about your Dog... :D

True on having more than one bike :2thumbs:

:cheers:

2. LA_Dog

LA_Dog Go Fast, Go Faster

My Bike(s):
    2001 Pro Sport, 2013 HD Breakout
    ok so took the "maiden" ride this evening- just a few miles out and back, little doggie ran great! Holy crap forgot how piss fast this bike is, and how well she handles.

I woulda done the test ride the other day but I noticed the volume of oil returning to the tank was not adequate. I had pressure, but nothing swirling back to tank. I took off the oil cooler, checked it- ok no issues. I then checked the Jagg oil cooler adapter... and... it was NOT installed correctly. the center oil return was pressed up against the adapter's internal diverter plate. Per the directions that come with the adapter, you are supposed to ensure there is adequate clearance for return flow and if needed buy a spacer for it. It looks like it was just installed and obviously no one read the directions or bothered to check clearance. That was causing all my oil issues. I now have **no more oil puking out breathers!** - so the oil was backlogging due to the restriction.

Anyway she ran great. No more hard starting issues either - fires right up even cold. I think the pushrods may not have been adjusted properly before. Still have to fix the primary oil leak at stator plug. But good progress none the less!

francoblay1 likes this.
  3. francoblay1

francoblay1 The Spaniard

My Bike(s):
    K9 (2006)
    First Name:
    Franco
  4. Brew

Brew Troop Supporter

My Bike(s):
    08 Mastiff / 09 Softail Deluxe
    First Name:
    Rob
    Thats great news LA, is she still running good since your last input?

5. LA_Dog

My Bike(s):
    Hey all my BD brothers- Hope life is good and the open road has been treating you well. The Dog has been running great. The last batch of issues was definitely due to "mechanic retardation". Once I fixed that cam clearance issue and adjusted the push rods properly she was ripping it up. I'm damn glad I caught that cam clearance issue as soon as I heard some noise or it could have been catastrophic. She was very hard to start before because the pushrods were all way too tight.

Anyway- I got almost 1k miles on the motor now. no more oil puking out of top breather. i get a couple small drips out of bottom breather after starting if she's been sitting for several weeks, I'd attribute that to some slight drainback into the case but seems normal.

I'm gonna get her final dyno tuned in the next few weeks, i think she'll run stronger with optimized jetting and ignition mapping. My AFR meter says she's a tad lean on the jets and adjusting the a/f mixture screw does not make a huge diff (unless i go extreme one way or the other of course) so that usually tells me the jets need to be resized. I left the A/F mix a bit rich (about the 11 range) and it was fine for break in and safe running. But as it is now, twisting the throttle off the line gives you that "sport bike sick" feeling in your gut from rapid acceleration. Damn love it. I've got so much compression that I have to keep the rear cylinder comp release held down to spin her over. I may just switch to a larger starter but it's really not a hassle.

The HD Breakout has been good too. Actually a good running bike. nowhere near the level of performance as the BD, but the ol' lady likes it better for long rides. The B motor is ridiculously smooth and vibration-free. very "un-Harley like". heh

Only bummer is I will be moving soon and I have to lighten the load of toys- so one of the bikes is going to be sold by summer. I'm gonna put them both up F/S and will keep whichever doesn't sell first. Really tough choice to make.

6. FrankBDPS

FrankBDPS Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2ooo ProSport 1997 Honda Night Hawk
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nice to hear from you again. I was fooling around with my bike the other day and was wondering if you had gotten yours straightened out.

7. LA_Dog

My Bike(s):
    Hi Frank- Thanks. How's your scoot- all good?

8. LA_Dog

My Bike(s):
    so off topic but entertaining nonetheless- just got done restoring two dirt bikes for the new house (out in the desert, so why not right?)

A 2005 TTR230 (top) and a 2001 YZF426 (bottom). Both bikes had low hours mechanically (four strokes) but were freaking shagged visually- they came out pretty nice, especially the TTR230 as that one I did a full frame-off paint job.

TTR before:
    [​IMG]

TTR after:
    [​IMG]

YZ after:
    [​IMG]

9. FrankBDPS

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Frank
    Finished the rebuild last Labor Day. Rode about 1000 miles until it got too cold. I have one oil leak in the primary and just spent some time getting the liner out of the tanks. What a pain in the ass that was. Otherwise all good waiting for the snow to melt.

10. LA_Dog

My Bike(s):
    Wow yeh- That old liner is a freaking PITA to get all of it out. I never want to mess with something like that again. What did you use for new liner? I had a specialty shop do the new liner for me. they did a very nice job. I was happy to pay someone at that point to finish it right.

11. FrankBDPS

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Frank
    Well since I had brand new paint I actually masked my tanks then dumped drywall screws in them and shook and shook and shook some more till they ground it all out. The liner was in very poor shape so it wasn't too bad. I am not going to reline them,at least at this point. I don't want to take the chance of messing up the paint job. Hope for the best and see what happens.

12. LA_Dog

My Bike(s):
    Yeh that was the same thing I did. the screws really helped. now... fishing those damn screws out especially out of the right side tank was ridiculous- even with a magnet.

The tanks on our bike are hand made and hand welded, there are a lot of welds especially down where the tanks are stretched to the seat. gas vapors will usually seep through the pores in the welds, as the tanks were initially designed to be lined. I sincerely hope the odds are in your favor on this one!

13. FrankBDPS

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Frank
    I know it is taking a chance. There is a member on here that has ran his naked for a long time and says he has not had any issues. I figure as bad of shape as the liner was that if it was going to leak it would have been leaking by now. Time will tell. Who lined your tanks and do you know what they used?

14. BadDawg Bill

BadDawg Bill Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Softail dexuxe customized
    First Name:
    Deplorable BadDawg Bill
    I would line them. If you don't they will rust fast and that rust goes into your fuel lines and carb. Any good bike shop has the stuff just pour it in, move the tank around and let it dry. Simple.

15. LA_Dog

My Bike(s):
    I sent the tanks to GTL Advantage in North Hollywood. These guys have a five-star rep and all they do is line classic bike gas tanks. Cost me $250 but it was done right and done fast. Fix Motorcycle Gas Tank, Rust Removal, Lining, Reconditioning, Fuel tank rust removal

Here's some pics of their process: http://epoxylining.blogspot.com/2011/08/epoxy-coating-liners-for-motorcycle-gas.html

You could pick up something like this kit and DIY- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Hirsch...1045996296&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

The single most important part is prepping the metal inside the tank before applying liner, and a chemical etching prep agent would be advisable. Some of the liner kits come with it. POR15 seems to be good as well. ebay has the best prices on these liner kits.

#215 LA_Dog, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  16. BigDogRick

BigDogRick Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2000 Big Dog Vintage Classic, 2004 HD Fatboy, 2008 Jeep Rubicon, 1972 VW Bus
    First Name:
    Rick
    That guy with the unlined tanks is me but I gotta tell ya, I think I have rolled the dice as long as I should. I have been holding out for a new paint job and now that I developed a slit in my paint that is bubbling fast, I am going to pull the tanks, have them acid cleaned, pressure checked, sealed and lined and then repaint. Six years without liner is long enough.

17. FrankBDPS

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks Rick, I just had mine painted a year ago and the guy who painted it was supposed to have lined them. Well it was not done correctly so here i go. They are pretty much cleaned out so I will get the material and get them done. Thanks everyone for your input. Wish me luck.

18. LA_Dog

My Bike(s):
    BDR- Good to see you posting in. Well hey at least you got six years out of it, not too shabby. Make sure when you get tank painted they don't paint onto the bung lip and just leave it bare metal. Otherwise gas vapors will seep under the paint / primer and cause bubbling. I have seen that on quite a few bikes with custom paint (including mine back when I got it). A measly 3/16" of clean metal woulda saved everything..

Good luck with the tank project-

19. LA_Dog

My Bike(s):
    Oh now that really sucks. Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the project!

20. BigDogRick

BigDogRick Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2000 Big Dog Vintage Classic, 2004 HD Fatboy, 2008 Jeep Rubicon, 1972 VW Bus
    First Name:
    Rick
    I can't believe how much I have gotten away with. The liner started peeling 10 years ago. Clogged up my fuel lines all the way back to Michigan from Utah. Ran the whole way home on one tank and that in the pouring rain (stayed perfectly just behind a front moving east all the way). Then the the next year, the paint protectors seized up with the gas caps (the joy of ethanol) and I have been unscrewing the whole assembly ever since when I fuel because they come out as one piece. Then the guys that rebuilt my top end in Phoenix scraped the liner shavings out and, being in Arizona, I didn't give corrosion a second thought. Shortly thereafter, I moved to Wisconsin and cold-stored the bike in winter for four years with all kinds of condensation opportunity and I simply did not have any issues. Now, here I am in San Antonio, and am going to actually have them lined out of guilt - still never having a problem!