compensator sprocket nut

8ball

before I make this ridiculously tight is the compensator sprocket nut left hand thread?

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Ridiculously tight is what it is----with a liberal dose of red Loctite. We just replaced mine and used a three foot 3/4" drive with a pipe on it to get the one off my 2010 FLHX.
Local dealer told me the part was obsolete and wanted me to get the SE upgrade kit for $299, and in addition, buy a new Rotor for the stator bcs the old one wouldn't fit with the SE sprocket. Grand total of $406.00 to replace a $50 sprocket. It was irritating that they would charge so much to upgrade something that should have been a recall.
I called Kansas City HD and bought two sets (compensator sprocket and the cam itself) for a total of about $180...I figure if I can get 25,000 miles out of each set, I'll trade the bike in by then. The tech at HD said that was a bad design, and many of the Screamin Eagle upgrades have failed too.
I hope the starter motor holds up. You really can tell which of the 96 cubic inch HD's are effected when you hear it crunch when it starts. Lots of threads on the HD Forums about it.

Brew

Troop Supporter
I usually heat that nut up with a heat gun and let the impact do its job. Haven't had any issues taking that nut or the clutch hub nut off using that method...

8ball

thanks for the input guys will be doing this this morning will be using my heat gun and my impact good info guys thanks again

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Damn.... the more I read the more I spend.....

but.... it´s MY DOG!!! I love to spend money on my "YellowBitch" my ex-wife took it all... even my Rolex... and on top of that I´ve got a Court Order telling me I must pay for her Drugs!!! :bang:

Sometimes I really think.... "From Zero to Hero in 7.62....!"

Rant over! :cheers:

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Guillaume

Well Franco you not the only one ,I have the same with my ex, but live go on and if you ride your dog then I am thinking screw her .:2thumbs::2thumbs:

Coolbreezin

I usually heat that nut up with a heat gun and let the impact do its job. Haven't had any issues taking that nut or the clutch hub nut off using that method...
I tried to get mine off also, no luck. I applied about 15 minutes of flame to that nut, still couldnt break it free. I called Tampa BDM and they told me not to use heat because of the seals and bearings behind it. So im having a friend do the R&R with me helping (its a learning experience!).

Side note: The mech also told me to get inner primary bearing, oil seal and shifter shaft seal. Please elucidate these parts for me and tell me if I really need them? Thank you.

Coolbreezin

Sorry all. I know it was posted on a Sunday, but I thought I was still operating within a common vernacular for this forum. So, someone pls answer the question.

Brew

Troop Supporter
Someone must have majored in English, not my strongest subject in college. I'm feeling so verklemptright now!