Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

clutch shim installed

Discussion in 'How-To' started by lee, Aug 8, 2009.

1. lee

lee Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2005 Big Dog custom build and Buell custom build
    for those of us with 05 bikes (not sure about other years), especially if you have the Bandit clutch, you need to do this to a) correct the alignment between the motor sprocket and clutch pack, and b) to help the scraping of the clutch housing against the inner primary - remember Jakes thread.

Here is a pic of the misalignment without the shim. It looks in the pic like the straight edge is against the inner hub - it isn't.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the shim and the shim in place. You can also see the scrape marks in the second pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what the alignment looks like after the shim is in place - still not perfect but better. I should have stuck a feeler gauge in there to measure it but forgot.

[​IMG]

I also used the tool I made by bolting together a friction plate and a steel plate - worked a charm and Al, left no marks on the hubs at all.

[​IMG]

and here is the fluids I'm now using - I thought it was about time we had another oil thread!

[​IMG]

I also pulled the stator off and it was full of tiny shavings - see Jakes pic - it was exactly the same and that is a bastard to clean because, of course, its magnetic.

2. alhall88

alhall88 UAW

Good job Lee, the tool was a good idea and glad it worked out for you. I wonder how much more it could be shimmed out before it would start rubbing the outer primary. Funny thing is that on a belt drive system this alignment must be within .010 but on a chain drive it can be a mile off.

3. BBChopper

BBChopper Supports 2 Disabled Vets
    Troop Supporter

My Bike(s):
    2005 BDM Choppa "Wild Fire", 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited "Swamp Rat"
    First Name:
    Pablo
    NiCe!!!!::cheers::2thumbs:

4. Gas Man

Gas Man Cool isn't cheap
    Supporting Member Calendar Participant

I was wondering the same thing Al. On chain vs belt

5. lee

lee Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    I thought I saw somewhere that the tolerance is 0.030" but it was a lot more out than that. I thought that with the outer primary but I would hope there was enough clearance for that - I guess also that the more shimmed out it is the more stress there is on the transmission main shaft perhaps.

6. surferdude

surferdude dry docked

My Bike(s):
    05 Bigdog Ridgeback
    Hey Lee .... did you order the shim from Bandit? :confused: :job: :up: :D

thanks

7. lee

lee Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    no - I got it from Nelson - its a BDM part. Costs about $3 - I had to pay $27 for shipping!!

8. Firestream

Firestream Member

My Bike(s):
    05 Chopper, 05 Softail Standard, 03 Dyna, 02 Sporty
    For those of you that already have the shim, you may want to check it for damage the next time you have the basket removed. I have had some significant vibration develop and after checking all the usual suspects, I checked the primary sprockets for alignment, even though I knew I already had the shim installed. Well, I found the clutch sprocket to be too deep (.034), as if I had no shim in place, so I removed the basket and pulled the trans seal and found the shim damaged. Perhaps when BDM changed their torque spec from 80 to 100 ft lbs, it crushed the shim toward the trans mainshaft bearing. The tech told me their recommended process is to torque the clutch hub nut to 150 ft lbs and then back it off and re-torque to 100 ft lbs. I purchased one from the dealer along with a new trans seal and test fitted the single shim. Well, Like lee it still didn't align properly. I ended up finding the exact same shim at Ace Hardware in their specialty section. The shim has a 1" center hole and they cost .50, so I bought several to keep around. I checked the dimensions with a dial caliper and they exactly match the BDM part. So, in order to establish correct alignment, I had to file two of them to a slightly thinner thickness and trial fit them (several file and test fits) until I had perfect alignment. I installed with the filed sides facing each other and installed the new trans seal and re-assembled the sprockets, chain and clutch pack. I have not fired it up yet as I'm waiting for a balancer ring to be made by balancer masters for the Bandit pressure plate. Balance Masters now makes a balance ring for the front sprocket (I sent them my front sprocket to pattern a new part) which I installed upon assembly after shim install. Once I get the clutch part and install, I'll post pictures and see if they work as designed.

9. bdmridgeback

bdmridgeback Low Down Chop Shop

My Bike(s):
    '05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Jake
    Your right Firestream, BDM had a issue on the first bikes that they started putting the shim in from the factory. It seems that the shims would compress under torque of the clutch nut and "thin out" over time. When I bought my shim from BDM, they had just came out with a hardened shim that supposedly won't do that. The day I stopped in to order the shim for my Bandit Clutch, The Trike Haus had a BDM bike in there swapping the shim out due to a vibration in the driveline. He had the stock shim laying there and it was "smashed". So I know I got the correct "good" shim and someday here soon I am going to pull my primary cover off for a inspection to check everything out now that I have put about 5000 miles on it.

10. Firestream

Firestream Member

My Bike(s):
    05 Chopper, 05 Softail Standard, 03 Dyna, 02 Sporty
    Is there a different part number for the "hardened" shim. The one the dealer had in stock didn't have the typical hardened appearance. Mine had crushed so much it allowed the bearing carrier (bandit) to hit in the typical rub spot on the inner primary as the stock BDM carrier. I may try a specialty fastener shop and seek out a truly hardened washer/shim that has a 1" inside diameter and will fit behind the trans seal...

11. bdmridgeback

bdmridgeback Low Down Chop Shop

My Bike(s):
    '05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Jake
    If you for sure want to order the correct shim, call Nelson at Wicked Bastard, we should be able to get you the right one.

12. scubaman15

scubaman15 Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2007 BDM Chopper- 2007 HD CVO
    Old thread but wondering how this worked out

13. scubaman15

scubaman15 Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2007 BDM Chopper- 2007 HD CVO
    Baker has them !!

14. Bhojo

Bhojo Member

My Bike(s):
    Chopper BDM 2005
    First Name:
    Brian
    Baker also has a hardened hub nut....about 6 bucks. The shim is about 3 bucks. My baker carrier just broke after 30k miles. I bought just the carrier plate from bandit and will use the stock clutch plate and spring plate. Maybe i'll upgrade the rest of the clutch later.

15. battman

battman New Member

My Bike(s):
    2005 big dog chopper soft tail
    First Name:
    pete
    did that clutch shim stop it from rubbing the inner primary wall cause my 05 chopper doing that, i think i might have to get me one. is there different size shims or just the one size cheers.

16. gearheadjeff

gearheadjeff New Member

My Bike(s):
    2005 Big Dog Chopper
    First Name:
    jeff
    I have an 05 BD chopper with clutch issues. Its a 117 ci S&S with a Baker 6 speed, not an open primary. When u first start it and put it in gear, the bike jumps and stalls, altho the cable adjustment is correct. im assuming it has the pushrod adjustment in the outside of the clutch basket, similar to Harleys. After a few times, you can get it freed up, but still wants to pull ya till its warmed up, then it seems fine. Where can i find the correct outer primary gasket, along with other parts...r brake pads, etc?

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Mr. Old Fart member #145
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    black cherry '07 K9
    First Name:
    Tom
    Kaptain Amerika has a lot of what you need at WildSteedWorx.com , he is a forum sponsoring vendor listed at the home page.

18. francoblay1

francoblay1 The Spaniard

My Bike(s):
    K9 (2006)
    First Name:
    Franco
    Here ya go: http://www.bigdogbiker.com/threads/how-to-adjust-your-clutch-05-and-newer.2025/

cdogg556 and kschopper like this.
  19. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Do we know when they came out with the hardened shim?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk