Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

clutch problems

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drive' started by pudge11151, Jul 17, 2009.

1. pudge11151

pudge11151 New Member

My Bike(s):
    06 pitbull
    I have an 06 pitbull with 1600 miles on it.Recently when I shift into 1st gear the bike lundes foward and starts to pull.Also when I come to a stop, the bike lunges like the cluch is not fully disengaged.I actually have to shift in neutral before stopping .I adjusted the clutch which made no difference .Ahy help would be appreciated and thanks in advance

chubs likes this.
  2. Staffy

Staffy Active Member

My Bike(s):
    K9 - 2007 Limited Edition #46 ** Something like an '08 Mastiff ** 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
    Start by adjusting the clutch. Do a search and you will find it in the how to section. (not just the cable but push rod aswell - just in case you did only one and not the other)

Next, I would open the primary to check the tranny/clutch nut - a ton of bikes have been having an issue with the nut coming loose.

Good luck :2thumbs:

chubs likes this.
  3. d4ster

d4ster Member

My Bike(s):
    '06 Big Dog K9
    First Name:
    David
    chubs likes this.
  4. K9husker

K9husker Member

My Bike(s):
    2010 BullDog, 2011 Street Glide
    On 06 models the clutch is a big issue. The nut that holds the clutch onto the main shaft comes loose, the same nut and washer is not heat treated and starts to wear, and the clutch rubs on the inner primary housing. I have a 06 K9 and like many others had to make some changes. You can order an easy pull setup from Big Dog, and that kits includes different clutch plates, pressure plate diaphram, and ball & ramp assembly. That takes care of the disengagement issue and the stiffness of the clutch handle. If you want to really solve the problem and plan to add horse power someday then put a Bandit Clutch setup in the bike. The one thing for sure, check to see if the nut came loose! Order and new heat treated nut and washer, and Big Dog offers a shim that goes on the main shaft prior to installing the clutch to eliminate the rubbing on the inner primary. Hope this helps. OOPS, one other issue on the 06's, the clutch cable end that hooks to the clutch handle breaks at about 8,000 miles give or take. BD did a redesign after that and no issues since.

chubs likes this.
  5. bobby bigdog

bobby bigdog Active Member

My Bike(s):
    06 PITBULL
    My 06 pitbull clutch broke at 1600 miles broke inside the primary.:down: got it fixed no problems since..

chubs likes this.
  6. Fibersnake

Fibersnake Banjo Playing PsychoBilly

My Bike(s):
    2005 BD Mastiff 2009 Buell 1125R
    Had mine act up yesterday for the first time. Strange for it hung up while I had the handle in and would not engage after letting out. Ended up checking most of it out while stuck in parking lot at Carlisle, could find nothing obivious, wiggled the adjster nut and it came loose. Readjusted, tested and it seemed fine. Rode it home for 70 miles (after enjoying the show) and had no problems, unusally noise or anything other than normal.

Will take it all apart next week and check out rod, throw out, nuts and washer and see if it was a fluke due to heat or something else. So far I lean more to a fluke due to heat as I was having to feather more than usual trying to get into Carlisle and situated.

Still have my original 05 clutch and only other problem I have every had with the clutch was a broken cable (as mentioned above on the tranny end) that snapped at about 15k.

May go to the easy pull set up, however I never have got an answer why they went from 12 plate to 9 on that. Also to the best o my knowledge, I had the upgraded hub from the beggining and as mentioned never had an issue.

Hopefully just a fluke and a good cleaning and lubbing along with adjustment will help insure no more anytime soon.

Will update here next weekend after I have pulled it all apart.

Other than that, excellent ride, great bike event at Carlisle and best riding partner I could have-the wife!

chubs likes this.
  7. TheDeadOne

TheDeadOne Banned

Like Fiber stated, check How - To on clutch adjustment.
    Also, the '06 "STOCK" clutch requires NO synthetic oil in primary! If the primary has been changed over to synthetic, the clutch disc will not fully disengage. I've seen this to happen previously.

Good Luck! :2thumbs:

Fiber,
    You probably already know this, but just as a reminder. The "clutch rod" requires grease to be added to the ends periodically. I'm just wondering if that could have been what caused the hang up.

Good Luck! :2thumbs:

chubs likes this.
  8. Fibersnake

My Bike(s):
    Yea I know but it is a good reminder to everyone. Will find out if that was the case since I had not rode it allot since it was last done. I usually use anti-seeze for the rod, never had problems before. I will check it real good though.

Also on the syn oil, I stick to the good ole Rev Tech myself and though many use like Red Line Shock, still not confident it is the best. Too many confusing info on Red Line itself, so the Rev Tech seems fine along with regular changes.

Hopefully it was just a totaly fluke and another part of the adventure. Will say though that after some tinkering, got her going and it seem fine, so after 4 years and nearly 20k, still never left me stranded! :2thumbs:

chubs likes this.
  9. Fibersnake

My Bike(s):
    Well took the whole clutch assembly apart today including the plates.

Could not find anything at all wrong with any of the parts.

Everything was lubed well, free, good condition. Nut was secured to proper specs, plates were good, throw out fine, rod straight. Nada a problem.

After much pondering, the only thing that makes any sense for last week failure to disengage when letting out the handle is that possibly the last time it was messed with, the cable did not seat all the way against the stop in the handle.

Figure it may have been lodged against the cable housing shoulder and due to tension stayed in place for about 500 miles. Maybe with the manuvering, it got enought slack along with any stretching and it slip in to proper place allowing allot of slack and thus not disengaging properly at the time.

As previoulsy mentioned, I had jiggled the clutch adjusting nut and it came loose and after re-adjusting the cable slack, rode it 70 miles wiht no problems.

After pulling it all apart today and inspecting all componets, nothing wrong. So getting ready to put her all back together. If nothing else she gets some new primary oil, a good cleaning and a re-lubed ramp and rod as well as adjustments.

Good to see it was a fluke and not something more unusal.

If anyone ever has it go slack on the cable and it is not broken; check to make sure that the cable end at the handle is properly seat to the shoulder on the U retainer. It is the little piece that slides in from the bottom and is held in place by two small set crews on the clutch handle.

All part of the adventure. So other than that still going strong on the original clutch and componets (except for the cable which I did break around 15-17K).

chubs likes this.
  10. TORTEGO

TORTEGO New Member

My Bike(s):
    big dog k9
    07 K9 WHAT IS THE FIX FOR CLUTCH PROBLEMS

chubs likes this.
  11. kurt sorenesn

kurt sorenesn New Member

My Bike(s):
    2005 bigdog pitbull
    First Name:
    Kurt
    I have a 05 pitbull. when i let clutch out the bike makes a chirping noise .when i pull the clutch in it stops .. any ideas on what the chirping is. Its driving me nuts??????

chubs likes this.
  12. Twisted

Twisted Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2005 Big Dog Chopper
    First Name:
    Butch
    I was having the same issues and tore mine apart yesterday to find the carrier broken all the way around the hub. Luckily I caught it before too much damage was done. Gotta order some new parts tomorrow. You took yours apart and it looked good so luckily that's not your issue. I was able to wiggle the entire clutch basket around with it still bolted down, that was my clue to tear the whole thing down. Good luck!

Bdm4ever, chubs and BWG56 like this.