Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Clutch cable repair

Discussion in 'How-To' started by rackman, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rackman

rackman New Member

My Bike(s):
    06 Mastiff
    If you don’t want to wait for a new cable to come in and yours broke right at the nipple (Transmission end), like mine. Here is what I did.

Adjust the Clutch cable all the way in.
    IMG_2807.JPG

Remove the Pulley Cover using Gas Mans Clutch cable replacement instructions

Spin the cover off the cable end

Start out with a ¼” brass rod (I turned down a larger one on the drill press), drill a 3/32” hole on the center, Cut the piece to the same length as the nipple that broke off, chamfer both ends of the 3/32” hole (One end for strength the other for strain relief on the cable.). Make sure the new nipple fits like the origional
    IMG_2811.JPG

The factory clutch inner cable itself has a thin plastic sheath. Trim this sheath back slightly further than the length of the nipple. (Be careful not to nick the cable itself.)
    Clean the cable thoroughly with soap, to remove all grease. Put flux on the cable. Insert the cable through the hole in the new nipple. Splay out the individual wires (This is where the strength comes from. Spreading out the wires and filling the space between them with solder will prevent it from being pulled through the chamfered area. This is stronger than the solder bond alone.

I used a standard soldering Iron and silver solder. Only solder from the end of the cable. Solder tends to flow toward heat and we do not want the solder to wick up the cable past the nipple. Do not overheat the cable (This would change the temper and make it weak) I was in contact and applying solder for less than 10 seconds. This time will vary depending on the iron you are using (you want a good flow)
    IMG_2806.JPG

This can only be done once without shortning the the cable housing. My cable ended up about 1/4" shorter than origional still leaving some adjustment room.
    IMG_2812.JPG

Update:
    Cable just pulled out of the nipple after 830 miles. Should have ordered a cable:job:. Today I put a heat sink on the cable right next to the nipple and tried brazing it with an Oxy-MAPP gas torch. We will see how long it lasts this way.

#1 rackman, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    Big D Florida likes this.
  2. Gas Man

Gas Man Cool isn't cheap
    Supporting Member Calendar Participant

That is the exact break that Dave had... I did think about this.

3. lee

lee Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2005 Big Dog custom build and Buell custom build
    very neat job

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.