Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Changing sprockets

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drive' started by cdogg556, Oct 15, 2017.

1. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog
    First Name:
    Ker
    You could always put an auto clutch in if your getting too old to shift, like Tapio did:oldsmile:

TapioK and cdogg556 like this.
  2. cdogg556

cdogg556 Guru

My Bike(s):
    2009 Big Dog Mastiff, Chrome Package, DOC's ESC, 585 cam, VH Big Radius Exhaust, 2.5" fwd cntls.
    First Name:
    John
    Haha! Maybe so, I don't expect you too understand Ker, your riding style is definitly different than mine, when I rode your bike out of respect I kept the rpm's very low, when I ride my bike I do actually get on it every now and then, the bike will probably have a top speed of at least 140 mph, I myself have taken it up to 130 mph or so, speedo was pinned so I am just guessing, anyway I really do not need to go that fast ever, so anything over 80 mph is a waste in my opinion, so why not gear it down to take advantange of the horsepower at lower speeds, kinda like a drag car in a sence, ya follow me buddy? Hehe!

TapioK and BWG56 like this.
  3. cdogg556

cdogg556 Guru

My Bike(s):
    2009 Big Dog Mastiff, Chrome Package, DOC's ESC, 585 cam, VH Big Radius Exhaust, 2.5" fwd cntls.
    First Name:
    John
    Or buy a Spyder! :oldeek: Hahaha! :oldhardlaugh:

BWG56 likes this.
  4. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog
    First Name:
    Ker
    Then ya better start using torque values and loctite so your not loosing bolts off the bike, if your looking for speed, get a crotch rocket. If your looking for power drop down a gear, keep it above 4000k rpm
    Kinda like buying a Honda Civic to do 120mph, buy something that will do it easy, like a Hellcat:p Easily achieves set goal:whoop::old2:

5. cdogg556

cdogg556 Guru

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    John
    Do you ever think that maybe your opinion is not always the right one? Hmmmm? And, I can't afford a Helcat ya dickhead! Now, put a fork in it! It's done! Ha! :D

SomeTexan, chubs and Mr. Wright like this.
  6. cdogg556

cdogg556 Guru

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    John
    Remember, I bought the bike used! That means someone else worked on it hoser! The bolts that fell out prolly were due to someone that did not use locktight on the bolts, and yes, I did use locktight on everything I work on, eventually that will be all the bolts on the bike! Again, I did not have the luxury of buying my bike new, your bike has only had one mechanic, YOU!!!! Thanks for you advise though, it is greatly appreciated bro! :whoop: :old2:

7. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog
    First Name:
    Ker
    Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, and that's why you posted this thread, but reading back I do believe others have said why? So some a$$holes might be some what similar.:oldsmile:

Maybe I should've use a Vette or Camaro instead Chubs, I mean Cdoggy.:oldlaugh:

If you know where you can buy different belts and drive gears, I would think he would be your go to guy and he will have all your answers.:eek:

8. ksmike

ksmike Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2010 Bulldog, 2001 Harley Deuce, Yamaha YZ250F
    First Name:
    Mike
    John,

No one makes a different pulley for a late model BD that I know of so I made one myself. Stock is 34T so I started with a 32 tooth on my bagger and finally ended up with a 31. To do it you have to take a stock harley type pulley and do some machine work to it. It is by far one of the best mods that can be done to a BD. On my bagger with the 31T it runs about 3,000 rpm at 72mph. Most people would be fine with the 32T as belt length and clearance issues can come up with the 31T. If you are interested and feel comfortable with changing the pulley yourself I can probably get one made up for you for a few $$.

Send me a pm if you want to chat more. :oldthumbsup:

Mike

cdogg556, TapioK and Forsaken like this.
  9. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    What gear you in at 70 & 3k?

I was just out yesterday and thinking about this cause right now at 70 I'm 3.5k in 4th and like 2500 in 5th. I'd like to be at 3k at 68-70 rather than in between 4th and 5th cause I end up having to shift a lot.

If I lived up north the gearing on the stock BD would be fine as most speed limits are 55-65 but considering we have a lot of two lane routes I ride with speed limits of 60-70 here it makes some sense.

I dont care about torque of speed just want to not be inbetween gears between 68-72mph. As I find myself switching to 5th and end up going 75 instead of 65-68. I might even do fine with one tooth, just 33T. It's pretty close.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

#29 Th3InfamousI, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  10. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

My Bike(s):
    05 Big Dog Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Adam
    You don’t want a hellkitten, they are slow. My old beater daily driver truck beats them all the time. Of course, the Dart LSNext2 block and the 98mm turbo help a lot. 1638hp on e85, with a different turbo on methanol it showed over 2500 before traction issues became a problem on the dyno. And I still haven’t wasted as much money as a hellkitten costs used. A/c blows cold and it gets 23mpg.

11. TapioK

TapioK Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    K9 -08, Chopper -03, Fat Boy (-97), BMW 1150GS -95
    First Name:
    Tapio
    I used my left hand for a while, it got strong. No need for autoclutch anymore!

12. njbiker20088

njbiker20088 Active Member

My Bike(s):
    lsc iron horse, gold wing, 1500 intruder
    First Name:
    al
    what is an auto clutch????

13. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Where's the pics on this beast?

14. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

My Bike(s):
    05 Big Dog Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Adam
    I make too much money grudge racing the truck to throw pics around. Plus, it’s a sleeper. Just looks like any other 88-98 rcsb Chevy.

15. PROFLYER

PROFLYER SWOLE
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    06 K9, 06 Mastiff (wife's)
    First Name:
    Sutton
    I'm curious about this and have been for years. I'm between 5th and 6th on the highway. Most everyone does 80mph around here and I'm a bit high in 5th but then lugging it in 6th. Any idea on price??

16. ksmike

ksmike Active Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Mike
    Im in 6th about 3k 70ish mph

17. Th3InfamousI

Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    04 Ridgeback & 07 K9
    First Name:
    Eric
    Well the motor doesn't..haha

SomeTexan likes this.
  18. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

My Bike(s):
    05 Big Dog Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Adam
    Lol, under the hood looks as crappy as I could make it. I painted the billet block black, then after installing it, I painted it orange with lots of overspray. Turbo is mounted under the passenger floorboard, all steel is rusty looking. I spent days with a dremel and epoxy trying to make the heads look stock, adding in stock casting marks and numbers. Lol, people taking a look under my hood is what gets me big money races. I also try to dress and act the part of a dumb hick. You gotta play the game right to survive in grudge racing.

19. ksmike

ksmike Active Member

My Bike(s):
    First Name:
    Mike
    Let me check with my machinist, but Im thinking around $350. about half in the pulley and half in machining. Baker pulleys cost more and machining them is harder also. I have used cheap harley pulley and a baker pulley on mine. Not sure that it makes a difference either way as I don't put a ton of miles on my bike. I have put around 6,000 miles on it since the pulley change.

20. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

My Bike(s):
    05 Big Dog Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Adam
    Sometimes they are at outlaw tracks. A lot of times events are held at old airstrips that have been closed. No prep is getting so popular that more are being held off of normal tracks. A lot of times they will rent a street in a gated warehouse complex. Then some small towns will close a street for racing once or twice a year. Alvarado has been doing an annual event. They claim it keeps the street racing down. And they look the other way when people start throwing money around. Most are pretty nice events, no drunks or druggies, no fights except the goofy bs when drivers are trying to build up their race. This isn’t street racing, at least not the kind on public roads with traffic. It’s actual events with emt’s on hand, fire crew on hand and liability waivers all around.