Centering the rear wheel.

Energy One

SimpleMan_Omen

I have put the rear wheel back on. I got it together and adjusted enough that there was proper tension on the belt and the wheel was spinning parallel to the belt then noticed that it was scrubbing on the right side inside the fender (against a screw).

Looking at it I'm not sure how to get the rear wheel centered in the fender.

thumbnail (17).jpg
You can see here that it is shifted a little to the right.

thumbnail (19).jpg
Plenty of gap on the left side between fender and tire.

thumbnail (2)1.jpg
Very close on this side and touching further in where the picture doesn't show.

thumbnail (18).jpg
Right side of the bike. Small spacer inside with the lip against the bearing and the medium spacer outside between the frame and rear brake bracket.

thumbnail (16).jpg
Left side. Large spacer installed with lip against the bearing.

The bike is a 2003 Pitbull. If anyone has an idea let me know. Or if you have a 2003 Pitbull I would love to have pictures of yours.

cdogg556

Guru
That's weird Aaron, what tire was on the bike before? Same size? Same brand? I know my shinko is just a little wider than the Avon I had before, other than that what else could be different? Spacers are only gonna effect the brake location unless you totally fuk'd up and put the left on the right, which would not really even be possible, is there any way to shorten those bolts? They do look a little long, hopefully someone can offer some better help.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Was it centered before you took it off. I would swap the two long spacers. Its not the tire and that's the only thing you changed. I would look at the spacer placement.

SimpleMan_Omen

The new tire is an Avon and the old one was a Dunlop E3.

The screws in the picture aren't touching. It's the screws that go into the chrome piece that the fender and signals bolt on to.

SimpleMan_Omen

I can't swap the inner spacer with the other side because then the caliper wouldn't line up with the disk. If it tried to swap the outer spacer then if would be pushing brake caliper bracket off of its slide that is on the frame.

SEAL-rider

Two of the spacers have a protrusion than that goes toward the bearings on both sides. Swap those two from right to left and see if that fixes it. What are you using to align the wheel.

SimpleMan_Omen

Two of the spacers have a protrusion than that goes toward the bearings on both sides. Swap those two from right to left and see if that fixes it. What are you using to align the wheel.
They won't swap. The one on the left is rather thick and the one on the right is thin. If I swapped them then the brake caliper wouldn't line up with the disk.
So far I have only aligned it so that the tire stays the same distance from the belt the whole revolution as it spins.

SEAL-rider

Once you have the belt close to correct tension, you need to match the distances from the center of the axle. On a softail it goes to the center of the swing arm bolts. Someone here can weigh in on where to measure from on the hardtail. This needs to be exact. Use a metal shirt hanger or tape measure and get it exact. Then adjust the belt tension by turning the allen screws the same amount. Then blue Loctite the outer set allens.

SimpleMan_Omen

Once you have the belt close to correct tension, you need to match the distances from the center of the axle to the center of the swing arm bolts. This needs to be exact. Use a metal shirt hanger or tape measure and get it exact. Then adjust the belt tension by turning the allen screws the same amount. Then blue Loctite the outer set allens.
The Pitbull is a rigid so there are no swing arm bolts. I followed the directions called for in the manual.

The manual states the following:

2002-2003 Models

On the 2002 and 2003 PitBull, measure the distance from the front of the axle plate slot to the axle. Make these measurements equal from left to right. Again, be sure to set belt tension in the process.

SimpleMan_Omen

I put it back together, set the belt tension and aligned the wheel. After following the manual's directions I then used the stem of my calipers like a concentricity gauge while my daughter spun the tire and it spun true. So I loosed the rear fender screws and adjusted that to sit evenly over the rear tire. Now everything looks good.

SimpleMan_Omen

Nice job. You also need some Dyna Beads so you can get those lead weights off your wheels.
http://www.wildsteedworx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_173_74_141&products_id=1272

Are you on the Georgia coast? Your pulley looks like it lives in salt air.
I'm closer to the mountains but I have only has this bike for a little bit. It has changed hands at least three times this year and I've been spending all my times since I join the group April 14th playing catch up maintenance.

I've looked at the beads and have read and heard all kinds of things online about them. How has your experience been?

SEAL-rider

I'm closer to the mountains but I have only has this bike for a little bit. It has changed hands at least three times this year and I've been spending all my times since I join the group April 14th playing catch up maintenance.

I've looked at the beads and have read and heard all kinds of things online about them. How has your experience been?
I think they work flawlessly. The great thing about them is they dynamically adapt to the tire as it wears. Each time the tire spins up the beads find the light spots and balance the tire. I have hit 110 with no wobble. And the wheels just look better without the lead weights. Just make sure you use enough. Curtis can tell you what you need for your Pitbull's tires. My tire shop got it wrong and it was noticeable.

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
I think they work flawlessly. The great thing about them is they dynamically adapt to the tire as it wears. Each time the tire spins up the beads find the light spots and balance the tire. I have hit 110 with no wobble. And the wheels just look better without the lead weights. Just make sure you use enough. Curtis can tell you what you need for your Pitbull's tires. My tire shop got it wrong and it was noticeable.
X2

JoeHawkins

I got a 180 tire and put 1 ounce for now. There’s actually instructions in mine which state to add x amount per tire weight. Tofu king bad that I had it on the rim already when I saw it. But it seems to run fine with 1 so far.