Brake Lite Issue

stephencs

RIP Brother
:hi:

I thought I had this brake lite issue handled but no. Brake lite on all the time so I'm thinking brake switch (rear) sticking?? So I took some of the shrink wrap off at the switch, cut one of the wires to switch but brake lite still on..............................so it must be handle bar switch stuck right??? So how to you get to that bad boy????? Please advise

God Bless

Stephen:bang:

barhopper

Another round please
Take off the switch housing. It has a circuit board in it. May have gone bad. Spray new one if you get it with silicone spray to keep moisture from affecting it.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Start with the front control first... even consider just pulling the harness to that control. Then turn the bike on and see if the lights are still on. If not, then you know its there. Process of elemination

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Do you have any "fault" lites lit up on your EHC?

stephencs

RIP Brother
Been there done that

I have already eliminated the rear brake switch by cutting the wire to it and the brake lite is still on. I have one lite on the EHC that lites when I start the bike, it is red and only just the one. The switch for the front brake was replaced during a recent recall so I'm thinking this might be a issue for my dealer to fix....would'nt you think???

Thanks for the help and suggestions all:bang:

stephencs

RIP Brother
Brake Lite Issue Update

Hello all:

After following advice from Ray and a few others I pulled the tank to check for wiring shorts or whatever. The wiring I found under the tank was pristine, beautiful actually and so well done that the tank wasn't hitting the wires anywhere.........WOW So I'm thinking now that the trouble is in the circuit board which was just replaced as a recall in Oct 08 . Any ideas gentalmen??

Thanks

Stephen:hi:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Pull up the rear fender. Remove a bolt on each rear strut. Then loosen one remaining on one side. Then while holding the fender up... loosen the final bolt... swing the fender up... then tighten the bolt to hold it up.

Check that wiring... it can sometimes can rubbed or chapped and cause issues with the tail lights and blinkers.

stephencs

RIP Brother
Thanks, I'll try that next

Thanks to all:

So far I've tried everybody's idea to fix my brake lite/turn signal issue except for lifting the rear fender as Gas Man has suggested so I'll try that next and let you all know if that did the trick. I'm praying but it will have more power if you all can pray with me..............Oh thank you. Later.

God Bless

Stephen

stephencs

RIP Brother
Alrighty Then !!

Ok......well I pulled up the rear fender and checked the wiring there.........pristine like the rest of the wiring I've found. I'm thinking off to the shop with it because i've exhausted my expertise and maybe yours as well?? Arlen Ness in Dublin Ca. has some great mechanics and I'm sure they can find the problem for under 5K...................LOL ;) But I'm still going to try the " How Too" to adjust my carb as I'm getting a little hesitation out of the bike. I will keep you all posted although it will probably be a few weeks before I can get the bike into the shop simply because of my schedule. Thanks all.

God Bless

Stephen

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Its got to be in one of the brake light switches. I've never heard anybody having this issue with the rear (pressure activated), but have heard of problems with the front.

Have you pulled the throttle side and control and unplugged the little white connector on the circuit board? If not, do this and see if the lights go out. If it does you need to check the adjustment/condition of the front brake switch. The front brake switch is not a mechanical switch, it is a proximity detector that senses when a magnet gets close to it. When you pull in your front brake it pulls the magnet in the lever close to the proximity switch. If the proximity switch was not tightened down well enough it could have shifted and is too close to the magnet at all times. It is also possible, depending on the switch they used, that the set screw for the proximity switch was over tightened and damaged the sensor. Either way the dealer can fix it for you. You may be able to check the position of the sensor with out taking off the hand controls. Look down the lever from the side and you should see two round things that look like plugs. The one on the lever side is the magnet (glued in and not adjustable) the other is the sensor. You should see much of the sensor sticking out, maybe 1/8 of an inch or so.

If you think this may be it send me a private message and I'll try to walk you thru adjustment.

BTW: if you take the hand controls off keep an eye on the little brass ferrels on the end of the throttle cables, they have a tenancy to want to fall into the bars or bike.