Bike intermittently dying

Energy One

LHS

Hey everyone I need some help/input.

My 2009 Ridgeback 117ci and super G carb intermittently dies when decelerating coming up to a stoplight. It never does it when accelerating or just running down the road Only on deceleration. Normally I’ll just drop down a gear depending on what gear I’m in and how fast I’m going and let out on the clutch and it fires right back up. But sometimes I’m going slow enough that I’ll just roll up to the stop sign hit the start button and it starts right back up.
It has never left me stranded on the side of the road but I’m afraid one day it’s going to.
I’m thinking a loose connection somewhere. Like maybe the crank sensor or maybe a loose connection at the EHC or the right hand control or maybe at the coil.
I have a 2008 service manual which I believe is the same thing as the 2009 ( please correct me if I’m wrong ).
It shows wiring diagrams and troubleshooting flow chart and pretty much everything else on the bike But it doesn’t show me where all these connectors are at.

The coil and the crank sensor plug-ins are pretty much out in the open and so is the EHC So this weekend when I’m off work I’m going to start with those by cleaning the Connectors with contact cleaner and applying dielectric compound and Plugging them back in. That will at least eliminate those unless of course the coil or the crank sensor or the EHC is Going bad but I have never seen A crank sensor or coil intermittently not work when I wrenched on cars at the dealership for a side job. Either they fail or they don’t But I’m definitely no expert in the BDM field so please correct me if I’m wrong. As for the EHC I also don’t know if it can intermittently not work.

Was also curious if anyone else has had this intermittent problem and what their fix was and if anyone could tell me where to find / locate the plug-ins that could cause this problem.
Maybe I’m just barking up the wrong tree and it isn’t a connector at all.

Last edited:

LHS

Hey Paul
It runs a little rich but it accelerates real good runs down the road real good.
You twist the throttle and it definitely goes.
Where would I look at the fuel system for an immediate problem like that?

LHS

That was supposed to be intermittent not immediate I usually get around 120 miles to a tank of gas before I have to flip over to the reserve but you can definitely smell that it’s running a little Rich.

mleach72

Sounds like your intermediate jet might be too big. When you roll off the throttle, it is causing the mixture to become too rich. Drop a size and see if that helps.

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
Check your petcock and crossover lines for crap buildup, and chunks of liner/blockage, when your fuel is swirling around the blockage can be intermittent. Its quick, easy and free to check.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
If it's electrical I would suspect you'd notice something like speedometer goes out or flashes or lights, etc. Also wouldn't always restart.

I bet it's fuel related. Although you say it's running rich, might just play with the idle mixture screw, you can play with it while riding by hand just fatten it up a little since its dying under no load. Counterclockwise, just do 1/8th-1/4 turn at a time see what happens. I'd start with a 1/4 turn see what happens, then you can do another 1/4 turn then start backing it off 1/8th till you dial it in

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

mleach72

Yeah, what Eric said. I was assuming the idle mixture was set right. I guess I shouldn't do that. If that is set right, the intermediate jet is likely the culprit.

Reactions: LHS

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Just a thought. What does it do when just sitting and running at idle? How do you warm up your engine before riding? Are the Tach Lights flashing? If so, maybe the idle is set too low.

LHS

Hey Matt and Huw I think you’re onto something there.
While idling the tach lights are flash which I’m assuming means the idol is too low.
I did a Google search On setting up the super G carb and it says I should be idling at 1000 RPM.
I also looked through my manual and it also says I should be at 1000 RPMs So this weekend when I’m not working I will set that and let you guys know I THANK you guys very very much for the input and I will let you know how it turns out.

Huw- When warming up the motor from a coldstart I usually have the throttle twisted just a little bit to keep it at about 1000 RPMs for about 3 to 5 minutes depending on what the temp outside is which now I have discovered from the Google search on setting up the carb that that is bad having the idle that low.It can cause all kinds of problems like Low oil pressure at Idol ( that’s not good )

PS
Mate if the carburetor readjustment doesn’t solve my problem I will go for the intermediate jet next And reset the carburetor.

PSS
Doug like you said the petcock screen cleaning will cost me nothing so I’m gonna do that as well. I like free fixes LOL. Besides that’s kind a like preventive maintenance. You know kind a like changing the fuel filter Except it doesn’t have a fuel filter.

THANKS
Lew

Last edited:

LHS

Hey Eric I want to thank you as well (just so you know I didn’t forget you ) OK OK so I did sorry

THANKS ERIC :old2:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eric I want to thank you as well (just so you know I didn’t forget you ) OK OK so I did sorry

THANKS ERIC :old2:
haha no problem, I assumed it was idling fine (1,000 rpm) so my assumption was dumb.

Sounds like just an overall carb adjustment starting with idle then idle/mix will fix the issue!!!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
Many guys like to keep their idle low so they can hear the lope.. as stated above, keep your idle adjusted to manufacturer recommendation... Just an FYI for everyone.

LHS

Well fellas I’m on my eighth tank of gas now since I first started this thread and it hasn’t died once.
All I did was as you guys suggested adjusted the idol then adjusted the idle mixture screw and readjusted the idle again and haven’t had a problem since

I want to THANK all of you again
THANKS

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Well fellas I’m on my eighth tank of gas now since I first started this thread and it hasn’t died once.
All I did was as you guys suggested adjusted the idol then adjusted the idle mixture screw and readjusted the idle again and haven’t had a problem since

I want to THANK all of you again
THANKS
Never overlook the simplest things!!! I just read this thread today and as soon as I started reading your first post I thought "Idle too low"?

Here a couple attachments for you.

:chopper:

Attachments