Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bike Cuts Out and Horn Beeps

Discussion in 'Help Wanted' started by meyerld, Dec 2, 2017.

1. meyerld

meyerld Member

My Bike(s):
    K-9
    First Name:
    Larry
    Howdy, its been awhile since I have had to post anything because the 06 K9 has been doing well. Today I took it for a short scoot and as I slowed for a stop sign the bike cut out and the horn sounded....sort of like it does when trying to start it on a weak battery. As soon as I hit the starter again though it fired right up. This happened again about 10 minutes later so I rode home and parked it. I also noted that the front right hand turn signal does not flash...this may be a totally separate problem? Any ideas?

2. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog
    First Name:
    Ker
    First thing is to verify battery is good, load test and then check to see if its charging when running. Then maybe take a look at the right hand control board.

Forsaken likes this.
  3. MossBerg590

MossBerg590 Active Member

My Bike(s):
    06 Big Dog Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Tyler
    My bike was doing the same, it got to the point where it would intermittently beep and cut out every time I used the horn, turn signals, brake etc. I wired in a new thunderheart module and hasn' done it since. So assuming your battery is good, you either have a short in a wire somewhere or a short in your ehc

dentdude36 likes this.
  4. meyerld

meyerld Member

My Bike(s):
    K-9
    First Name:
    Larry
    Assuming the battery and right hand control board are OK and I have to go the route of replacing the EHC, what is the current thinking on the best way to go? Is the Thunderheart it? This pretty much requires a total bike rewiring?

#4 meyerld, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Mr. Old Fart member #145
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    black cherry '07 K9
    First Name:
    Tom
    several to choose from. RIP kit, from the new BDM; ESC, from Dead One Customs; and Axel's kit, from Curtis (KaptainAmerika). seems like the least expensive, least intrusive, easiest one has been Axel's kit. but it is also the newest with the fewest # of miles on it.

6. meyerld

meyerld Member

My Bike(s):
    K-9
    First Name:
    Larry
    Awesome, thanks guys. I'm gonna do the battery and charging system tests that were suggested and then go from there. Will also try to reset the EHC. If this doesn't do it, I'll go deeper.

7. meyerld

meyerld Member

My Bike(s):
    K-9
    First Name:
    Larry
    Just checked out the new BDM RIP kit....I guess I've been living under a rock. Didn't realize that BDM was back in business again.

8. meyerld

meyerld Member

My Bike(s):
    K-9
    First Name:
    Larry
    Update. Opening the right hand control as suggested, drying it all out in there and packing the connector with dielectric grease got the front right hand turn signal working again. Thanks for this advice! I did not have a chance to take the battery to town for a load test but I charged it up on a charger real good and put it back in, resetting the EHC at the same time and took the bike for a 5 mile run. It did not cut out this time...yesterday it cut out twice in a shorter distance. So, no conclusion on success yet, but maybe its promising. I am still suspicious of the battery and will have it tested.

francoblay1 likes this.