Battery Tenders

BigSpenda864

This is my first bike other than EFI Harleys which I could leave for weeks without starting if I wanted. Where I am keeping my bike right now doesn't have an easy power source to set up a battery tender every day. Is it a necessity even during the riding months where the bike will be started a couple of time a week? Is there a way to have a tender run off of a car battery or something like that? Thanks in advance for your help.

Oscar Maldonado

Guru
Calendar Participant
It's a good idea to have the battery tended when your bike is not in use. You have no power outlet anywhere? Can you run an extension cord from somewhere? HMMM! don't know about that running off of a car thing though. Maybe others have done it.

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
You should be good if you ride it for some decent miles a couple of times a week or hell even once a week. The battery tender is more important when it will set there for say over a week or more, like months.

As far as I know it will not work coming off a DC supply. It will help prolong the battery life if used to keep the battey up to idea condition, but will not make it last forever. Anything over about 2 years on our type of AGM batteries is pushing it anyway. The battery tender will help drag it out longer, where if not used, the battery will fail earlier unless you are lucky enough to have consistent rding through out the year and get some miles on it.

If possible get youself a good extension cord and drag it out to where you can put the BT on the bike for those long non-running time. If you do, get a good extension cord, something like contractors use (like those good ole Orange HD or Yellow ones).

rgswamp

I know this sounds goofy, but you can use a solar powered tender. They are available from Sears and Harbor Freight, and I'm sure several other companies.
They require a fully charged battery to start with, but then will maintain the charge. Hope this helps.

BigSpenda864

I have to keep my bike in a storage unit right now because I live in a condo downtown with no garage. I have been working on moving to a powered unit. I am also trying to see about running an extension cord from an outside the unit source. The people who own the storage units are big motorcycle riders so they have sympathy.

I live in South Carolina so I can ride pretty much year round. There are some months its a little cold for my taste though. Even during those months I always stop by and start the bike, etc. every week or two.

I will just try to keep the bike in use as often as I can until I get some power. Thanks guys.

BigSpenda864

I know this sounds goofy, but you can use a solar powered tender. They are available from Sears and Harbor Freight, and I'm sure several other companies.
They require a fully charged battery to start with, but then will maintain the charge. Hope this helps.
Wow, never thought of that. I could run a solar panel to the roof ad try it. Thanks I will look into it.

dingo

First 50
BigSpenda864,

Just a thought.....It is not a good idea to start your bike and not ride it because internal condensation can build up and does not burn off unless the bike is run for a while at operating temps. This can lead to internal engine problems like premature wear and internal rust down the road.

dingo

BigSpenda864

BigSpenda864,

Just a thought.....It is not a good idea to start your bike and not ride it because internal condensation can build up and does not burn off unless the bike is run for a while at operating temps. This can lead to internal engine problems like premature wear and internal rust down the road.

dingo
Gotcha. I never thought of that. Thanks for the info.

beano

worst comes to worst take the bat.home then tenderize it.alot of trouble but you will be thankful if you make a last min. decesion to ride yoll have no worries about your charge

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Or if it's gonna be in storage for a while at least disconnect the ground from the battery. Manual says it has a steady discharge rate of 1.5 mAmps or something like that.
But as much hassle as it is I would take the battery home and keep it on a tender if you can't get an extension cord for a tender.

Later,
Ray

StPeteChopr

I plug my battery tender into a 250 watt inverter in my truck. I have the inverter plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet in the backseat of my truck, I open the rear door and plug the tender into the inverter and then close the door. It works great... just have to remind yourself to unplug it in the morning before you drive away!!!