Battery recommendation.

what?

You forgot the cost of a wrecker if your bike craps out in the middle of nowhere. I've seriously started to look at one of these.

SimpleMan_Omen

I bought one of those years ago, matter a fact I bought 8 of them from Curtis years ago for some guys I worked with and the only time I used it was to jump a couple hardlys in Daytona during bike week
"Hardleys" you say... I like that and will use it. I will not give you credit in my bibliography; maybe a little credit.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I have 3 of these little jump kits. They fit in the jacket pocket like a wallet. I usually carry one if my battery shows signs of getting weaker and may leave me stranded somewhere. I always have one in my truck and car.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I have 2 little jump start devices -- used a couple times more oft on someone elses vehicle. I also have AAA plus RV, and other roadside coverage as well. Basically, as long as I can get a cell signal, I should be good! I also carry extra spark plugs, long trips I'll take the crank sensor as well.

what?

had the 100 mile radius on the cars. rep from insurance said the bike wasn't covered and was all bubbly about it. i had a buddy that would've borrowed a trailer and drove it to me but was working a double, another friend willing to go to my house and pick up my truck but its a 6.5 foot bed and didn't want to damage the tailgate, my brother who would've came and got me but would have had to drive his car to the house get his truck and remove the cap. the whole time people are walking by telling me how nice the bike is. its funny now but man that is the shittiest feeling.
all that said has anyone ever jumped the bike with a car. that'd be a nice how to.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
had the 100 mile radius on the cars. rep from insurance said the bike wasn't covered and was all bubbly about it. i had a buddy that would've borrowed a trailer and drove it to me but was working a double, another friend willing to go to my house and pick up my truck but its a 6.5 foot bed and didn't want to damage the tailgate, my brother who would've came and got me but would have had to drive his car to the house get his truck and remove the cap. the whole time people are walking by telling me how nice the bike is. its funny now but man that is the shittiest feeling.
all that said has anyone ever jumped the bike with a car. that'd be a nice how to.
Short cables and car not running.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Short cables? What does that matter
Better power transmission rather than the resistance of longer cables especially cheaper ones.
I mean you don't use a 6ft cable to your starter from your battery do you -- no we use one that is only as long as needed.
When you jumping from the car and its off, there is no "extra" power from the alternator -- think about when you've jumped cars -- how many times have you told the other guy -- rev the engine -- we don't have that option if we are just using the battery alone so the shorter the cable the better as a general rule -- Now if you have MONSTEROUS jumper cables you might get away with it.
If you're in this situation, its not what YOU own but what the person with the car has -- If you've got a choice with multiple people/offers unless the ones are noticably thicker, the shorter ones have a better chance.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Better power transmission rather than the resistance of longer cables especially cheaper ones.
I mean you don't use a 6ft cable to your starter from your battery do you -- no we use one that is only as long as needed.
When you jumping from the car and its off, there is no "extra" power from the alternator -- think about when you've jumped cars -- how many times have you told the other guy -- rev the engine -- we don't have that option if we are just using the battery alone so the shorter the cable the better as a general rule -- Now if you have MONSTEROUS jumper cables you might get away with it.
If you're in this situation, its not what YOU own but what the person with the car has -- If you've got a choice with multiple people/offers unless the ones are noticably thicker, the shorter ones have a better chance.
one of the hardest parts is getting a good connection with car jumpers onto the positive terminal -- they don't fit well and I've actually done better with motorcycle jumper cables (which I've also used bike to bike -- before jump starters were so small and generally available.)

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
If your jumping from a car battery that's 720CCA's, you can afford to lose a 100 or 200 amps with 20' cables and it will still be more than enough to spin the bike over.
You'd think but I speak from experience when I say this -- its an additive issue -- crappy connection to positive terminal, longer then needed cables, You'd think it would spin like mad -- has not be my experience. And with the EHC on Big Dogs its more the voltage drop to worry about.

what?

i've heard battery only too as in car not running. in my situation i suppose i could've tried to jump it as i had my tool bag and did have the whole seat pan off to check the terminal connections. i just didn't want to risk frying anything.

for those that carry the portable jump starter. do you connect it to the battery terminals directly or can you jump it through the battery tender lead.

apologies to Aaron for highjacking his post but i think the info is relevant to anyone who had a battery die on them.

SimpleMan_Omen

The other day when my battery in the Pitbull melted it swapped my V-strom battery into it to crank it up and run the fuel out of the carb. The battery was smaller than my Big Dog and I have to use the car to jump it off. I also had to get my daughter to give it some throttle for me to get enough to crank it.

If you are using the battery tender connection it has to be a beefy one. Most of them are not rated for it. Those that are do cost more. You're better off going straight to the battery.

My questioned was answered and I'm not going to get upset over anyone's conversation. That stuff is relevant any way.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
The other day when my battery in the Pitbull melted it swapped my V-strom battery into it to crank it up and run the fuel out of the carb. The battery was smaller than my Big Dog and I have to use the car to jump it off. I also had to get my daughter to give it some throttle for me to get enough to crank it.

If you are using the battery tender connection it has to be a beefy one. Most of them are not rated for it. Those that are do cost more. You're better off going straight to the battery.

My questioned was answered and I'm not going to get upset over anyone's conversation. That stuff is relevant any way.
All the tender connector I have are fused and would blow the fuse before frying the wire -- usually its a 5A fuse in mine.