Battery Question?

Energy One

cdogg556

Guru
If your battery is not 100% charged can it effect how the bike runs? My bike died on me today and I think it was due to the battery being bad, I replaced it and it runs great but I was wondering if it went bad because it's not charging while I am riding it, I need to get the charging system checked out, but it still seems weird, on my truck the batteries start the vehicle but it can run with them disconnected so I was thinking that these bikes were like that but apparently not, the guy at the Harley dealer said if your battery is bad that it won't run, is that true or is he full of it?

Little-Boo

Troop Supporter
If your battery is not 100% charged can it effect how the bike runs? My bike died on me today and I think it was due to the battery being bad, I replaced it and it runs great but I was wondering if it went bad because it's not charging while I am riding it, I need to get the charging system checked out, but it still seems weird, on my truck the batteries start the vehicle but it can run with them disconnected so I was thinking that these bikes were like that but apparently not, the guy at the Harley dealer said if your battery is bad that it won't run, is that true or is he full of it?
Try this

http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/how/61960-how-check-charging-system.html

Carlos :whoop:

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Yup! the bike will NOT run with a discharged battery (Ask me how I know!!!) I had a bad VR and the battery was not being charged at all. New VR is in and all good now!

:cheers:

cdogg556

Guru
Yup! the bike will NOT run with a discharged battery (Ask me how I know!!!) I had a bad VR and the battery was not being charged at all. New VR is in and all good now!

How did you figure that out Franco, did you test it yourself? or take it to a shop and have them check it out?

francoblay1

The Spaniard
How did you figure that out Franco, did you test it yourself? or take it to a shop and have them check it out?
Well..... I did about 100 Miles and the bike suddenly stopped on me between loud bangs!!! click click click no battery..... charged it overnight and vrooom.... back on the road straight home!!!

Did the checks and found the VR went tits up!

:2thumbs:

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Now this subject reminded me of the "Life Saver", don´t leave home without it! :up:

MICRO-START XP-3

Trust me when I say the loud bangs when the bike shut down were alot louder than a .50 cal going off!!! It was the unburned fuel exploding in the exhaust pipes as the cylinders had no spark!!!

I shat myself and honestly my first thoughts were I blew the motor!!! My heart went up in my throat while I was shaking there at the road side.... after a few minutes I took the "life Saver" out of my bag and I could make it to the Hotel.

It was a day I will not forget. :cheers:

cdogg556

Guru
That thing is bad ass! I am buying one today, a must have! Thanks Franco!:2thumbs::2thumbs::cheers: Hey when you jumped the bike did it run after you jumped it? since it was not getting a charge did you have to leave the portable battery hooked up to get you home? Just wondering cause I know that these bikes run completely off the battery, you know what I mean?:confused:

Last edited:

BWG56

Guru
since it was not getting a charge did you have to leave the portable battery hooked up to get you home?
:panic2::panic2::nono:Bad idea, if there's something wrong with your charging system it could cause a melt down with the jump start, but then again they are fused, so that should blow.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
As I said, I left it plugged on the Battery for 15 mins.... and then I started the bike, unplugged the PPS and I took off. It charged the battery enough to get me to the Hotel.

I did not ride with it hooked up.

BWG56

Guru
As I said, I left it plugged on the Battery for 15 mins.... and then I started the bike, unplugged the PPS and I took off. It charged the battery enough to get me to the Hotel.

I did not ride with it hooked up.

Yep, I just wanted to caution him not to ride with it hooked up:2thumbs:

cdogg556

Guru
Well franco, I went an bought a multimeter and did the tests on the battery and the voltage regulator, both checked out good, the bike starts and runs great, the only thing in that when I crank it over on the first rotation it cranks slow, kinda like it's due to high compression or something like that, so I don't really know if that's normal or not,:confused: The next thing I was gonna do was check the voltage drop between the battery and the starter and see if I need to replace the battery cables or clean terminals, etc. So I at lest at this point I know the battery is charging,and not "over charging":2thumbs: Oh, and I my XP-3 came in yesterday, I just gotta go pick it up at my mailbox, again thanks for the info!!:cheers::cheers: