Battery and EFI Big Dogs

LordCheese

So I recently had some trouble with my 09 K9 and it turned out the ECU was shot on it. The dealer tech told me (or at least jotted some notes on the work order) of

"Its critical to maintain optimum batter performance on EFI Big Dog. Keep bike on a battery tender when bike is not in use"

The tech was not in office when I went to pick up the bike so I was not able to ask him what that meant. I am waiting to get a call back but was wondering if anyone else had heard this or what "bike not in use" means?

I just want to make sure that I don't screw this one up to. If I don't ride for a week should this be on a trickle charger? Or is it safe to let sit for few weeks?

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I personally put any bike I don't ride in a week on a trickle charger. I'll rotate the charger on each bike so it isn't continuously on a trickle charger. The BD is different being big CCs compared to the others. Before I put a Braille battery in my BD, I kept it on a trickle charge every day (The battery was original and 3 years old and is probably still ok). I could tell the original battery was loosing its spunk when the speedometer would not register the speed after starting and going down the road. I would have to turn the bike off and restart to get the speedometer to work (There was a reflash for this that I don't have which cycles the speedometer after startup). I don't want the reflash since it helps me know when my battery performance is dropping off.

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
Once the bike cools down from riding, it's back on the tender. Is "Bret Farve" a curse word in Wisconsin? He lives just down the road from me in south MS.

LordCheese

For some it seems so. Doesn't bother me much. Sports is a business like any other. Loyalty like the old Bart Star era has been long dead in professional sports.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I need to get into a new routine when done riding.

PurpleDog

While it is true that it's a good idea (and important) to keep your scoot on a tender; I don't think a low or dead battery would be the cause of an EHC failure. I could be wrong, but I'd be interested to hear the argument for it personally.

Any chance you've received any more indication (technical details) of which circuit path through the EHC has failed?

erldawg

Guru
Just keep it on a tender. The EFI ECU has nothing to do with it. It's the Big Dog EHC that drains the batt down...

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
Just keep it on a tender. The EFI ECU has nothing to do with it. It's the Big Dog EHC that drains the batt down...
The S&S EFi controller does draw current when the switch is OFF. The EFI controller does have constant power wired to it. The reason for this is so it retains the EFI learn mapping data and other operational reasons.

You want to by a maintenace charger approved for an AGM style battery used in Bigdogs.

Last edited:

erldawg

Guru
The S&S EFi controller does draw current when the switch is OFF. The EFI controller does have constant power wired to it. The reason for this is so it retains the EFI learn mapping data and other operational reasons.

You want to by a maintenace charger approved for an AGM style battery used in Bigdogs.
Opps yea I forgot about that :bang:....Must have been the Bass Ale.....:cheers: