Assistance Needed....

Energy One

mjsk9

Quick update since many posts requesting help never seem to have a conclusion.... I spoke with my mechanic where I bought my K9 12 years ago and has subsequently serviced it for all of those years. Took him through the chronology of events including washing the bike, rode it home, sat for a couple of weeks, went to start Monday and no power anywhere. I also mentioned I put a "new" battery in it on October 2nd. He inquired as to what brand of battery and I told him Duracell from Batteries Plus (BP). He immediately said he had a K9 in his shop that the owner had put 3 new Duracells in it and apparently all 3 were bad. He suggested I take the battery (2 years old) out of the BBC Sled and drop it in the K9. I did that last night and turned the key and all lit up, speedometer sweep, headlight, oil indicator, turn signals and brake lights all worked. Needles to say, I grabbed my receipt and battery and went to BP. The guy was doing different tests and said there is nothing wrong with this battery. I told him I really didn't care what the tests showed, that I had no interest in keeping that battery or getting a replacement. He then mentioned (which the receipt said) the return policy is 14 days. Told him I really didn't care and I wanted my money back. He then mentions they "normally" charge a 20% restocking fee. I said since you say "normally" that will not apply in this situation, correct? He said no, I will waive it this time. He probably reiterated on three additional occasions there is nothing wrong with that battery. I told him that is great so you can resell it? Net-net, got the refund so my question is for battery suggestions. My mechanic always uses Deka (sp)? I believe Shannon recommends the Harley battery... Thoughts for what has worked for you? Lastly, thanks to all for replying to this post, and to Shannon for talking with me to troubleshoot. As a point of clarification to several comments, this was the first time in 12 years I ever sprayed the bike and will not do that again.

Good to hear, I have used Harley batteries allot with good results. I recently went to a throttle x battery with higher cca and noticed a considerable difference when starting. For me it was the best bang for the $.

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I've had good luck with my Braille B2015. Five to Seven Years for the last two.

Last edited:

Unsprung

In the Potters hand...
I use Deka myself. The one I replaced on the bike you ok’d for me, (still grateful for your help), was seven years old.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
All you guys that keep buying these off brand batteries, are put your EHC's in danger. I've had 4 bikes come through my shop, that this has happen to. The one i'm working on now, I think it's the same thing. Mark was lucky, that it didn't take his EHC. EHC's are $550, a good Harley battery is $130. How much do you want to spend.

Unsprung

In the Potters hand...
All you guys that keep buying these off brand batteries, are put your EHC's in danger. I've had 4 bikes come through my shop, that this has happen to. The one i'm working on now, I think it's the same thing. Mark was lucky, that it didn't take his EHC. EHC's are $550, a good Harley battery is $130. How much do you want to spend.
I've always had good luck with the Deka batteries. That's what bigdogs came with from the factory
That’s why I’ll stay with Deka. Just my two :2cents:.

Chris Thill

Even if you had water in the hand controls, after turningt the ignition key, at least your headlamp should light up same as the speedo.
Most of the time we start looking for complex problems because of the circumstances, here the bike being washed.

cdogg556

Guru
Quick update since many posts requesting help never seem to have a conclusion.... I spoke with my mechanic where I bought my K9 12 years ago and has subsequently serviced it for all of those years. Took him through the chronology of events including washing the bike, rode it home, sat for a couple of weeks, went to start Monday and no power anywhere. I also mentioned I put a "new" battery in it on October 2nd. He inquired as to what brand of battery and I told him Duracell from Batteries Plus (BP). He immediately said he had a K9 in his shop that the owner had put 3 new Duracells in it and apparently all 3 were bad. He suggested I take the battery (2 years old) out of the BBC Sled and drop it in the K9. I did that last night and turned the key and all lit up, speedometer sweep, headlight, oil indicator, turn signals and brake lights all worked. Needles to say, I grabbed my receipt and battery and went to BP. The guy was doing different tests and said there is nothing wrong with this battery. I told him I really didn't care what the tests showed, that I had no interest in keeping that battery or getting a replacement. He then mentioned (which the receipt said) the return policy is 14 days. Told him I really didn't care and I wanted my money back. He then mentions they "normally" charge a 20% restocking fee. I said since you say "normally" that will not apply in this situation, correct? He said no, I will waive it this time. He probably reiterated on three additional occasions there is nothing wrong with that battery. I told him that is great so you can resell it? Net-net, got the refund so my question is for battery suggestions. My mechanic always uses Deka (sp)? I believe Shannon recommends the Harley battery... Thoughts for what has worked for you? Lastly, thanks to all for replying to this post, and to Shannon for talking with me to troubleshoot. As a point of clarification to several comments, this was the first time in 12 years I ever sprayed the bike and will not do that again.
Mark I'm glad you found the problem, I just had a Duracell in my bike for 3 years and never had it on a tender at all, I recently changed it to a Throttle X battery (which I hear now that people are having problems with) anyway my Duracell was still good, but I thought after 3 years I should just change it anyway, I guess it's like everything else, some are good and some aren't, good luck with whatever you choose!

MossBerg590

I tried braille and a few others. Went back to Deka( Harley batteries are made by Deka and they slap a harley sticker on it) and it works great. You can also grab them on ebay for $85 shipped and mine was previous month and current year on date stamp

Deka ETX20L

mjsk9

Mark I'm glad you found the problem, I just had a Duracell in my bike for 3 years and never had it on a tender at all, I recently changed it to a Throttle X battery (which I hear now that people are having problems with) anyway my Duracell was still good, but I thought after 3 years I should just change it anyway, I guess it's like everything else, some are good and some aren't, good luck with whatever you choose!
Thanks John