Armchair mechanic - educated guess needed

Energy One

Boomer

New to EFI..here's the short version. Curious what "might" have happened:

75 degrees, sunny
Stuck in traffic (15 mins), knew I was low on fuel (low fuel light NOT on).
Bike started stuttering (like it was running out of fuel) pretty bad.
Only way around the above situation was to keep revs high (2000ish).

Decided to turn around, rode 5 mins back to gas station, filled with 4.1 gallons of fuel (Wolf).

Got back in traffic for 5 mins to my destination, stuttering the whole way. Felt like my old moped. High revs seemed to help.

Let bike sit for 4 hours. Upon start, wouldn't hold an idle and still stuttering. Started with increased gas/rev. Rode 5 mins back down road...stopped at same gas station as the EFI warning light came on a few mins into ride.

Turned bike off. Restarted twice. Second time, it idled/rode like a charm ever since.

Was this an overheat protection situation or do I have a bum low fuel light and the EFI was getting thirsty?

Thanks.

narow37

Angry Southern White Man
sounds like an overheat protection to me but not sure. I think it shuts off the rear cylinder in that kind of situation.

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
Sounds like an overheating condition. OR BAD FUEL.

My "07" Bulldog low fuel will turn on at around one gallon remaining in the tank.

On my "07" EFI on an overheat condition the S&S ignition will begin by cutting the spark to the rear cylinder every other firing. Then if the overheat continues it will shut down the rear cylinder all together and eventually turn off the engine. An S&S ignition box feature.

If I'm sitting in traffic for more than 3-4 minutes, I shut down the bike. These are air-cooled engines and need a lot of airflow, esspecially over the rear cylinder. The front cylinder pre-heats the rear cylinder air so obviously the rear cylinder will run even hotter.

The best thing to do when an overheat condition occurs is to pull over and shut it down to cool off.

I like to add a half bottle of Lucas Oil Treatment to my oil changes to help on start-ups and higher temp riding conditions. The Lucas will stick better to the cylinder walls to help prevent cylinder scuffing in a dry start-up condition if the bike had been sitting awhile as well.

Last edited:

barhopper

Another round please
I had know idea BDM had that feature. I thouhgt Harley was the only one that did that. Is that on all EFI BDM bikes?

lineman 112

think it was overheating, mine is efi also n i was stuck in traffic also the other day but it was around 90 out after about 10 min. of slow moving noticed it started to act like either it was running out of gas or plugs fouling shut off on me once but started right back up, after i got out of traffic it still did it for about another mile or so than cleared up n ran fine after that, had a full tank of gas

Escobar

Mine did something similar twice (Separate times) on really hot days. The first time I figured it was probably just an overheating problem, but the second time I decided to look a little further into it. I noticed it also started bogging down if I gunned it. The higher revs would keep it on no when stopped and if I took off gradually I didn't have a problem. I got home and gave the bike a good run through, thinking it was the probably the carb so I attempted to adjust it starting from the factory settings but it turns out I was having a difficult time tuning it so it had to be something else. I happened to lie down next to the bike and noticed air blowing from the wrong side of the motor. Turns out my head bolts worked themselves loose so I was looking some compression between the upper and lower head gasket. Maybe it not what's going on with yours but it worth looking into.

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
Don't know much about these EFI's but is it possible it had air in the system.
The fuel pump continuously keeps the pressure up to feed the injectors so any air in the system should be displaced by the fuel prior to the injector lines due to gravity.

CHOPPED

KIFFMC
Check to make sure the cap on the fuel petcock under the tank is tightened. Mine was loose and I am thinking this is why mine was running rough. Hand tightened it and no more problems.

MikeG

The Doctor
New to EFI..here's the short version. Curious what "might" have happened:

75 degrees, sunny
Stuck in traffic (15 mins), knew I was low on fuel (low fuel light NOT on).
Bike started stuttering (like it was running out of fuel) pretty bad.
Only way around the above situation was to keep revs high (2000ish).

Was this an overheat protection situation or do I have a bum low fuel light and the EFI was getting thirsty?

Thanks.

SERIOUSLY??? 75 / Sunny and 10mins in traffic it's overheating? :confused:

I been stuck at red lights for 5 mins or more at 108 degrees outside :eek:

So what kind of motor damage am I doing in Texas riding in and out of traffic when it's 108 outside? Or even when it's nice and cool at 95?