Anybody got the "new" sidecovers?

LamboV12

Crap - Just cracked a side cover again (3rd time). Had an ez pull clutch and led lights installed and while at the dealer I noticed it.

I talked to BDM and they have "new" real thick covers now as upgrade. Just wondering if anyone here has had them installed yet?

Coolbreeze

I've installed many new covers. Their alittle thicker but the material their made of is supposed to take more vibration. I don't think I've had any come back yet for breakage.

kickstart

I'm on my 3 set of NEW Material Covers :roll:
on the last set I bored out some SS fender washers so they would go over the well nuts and epoxyed them to the bottom of the covers. So far so good.

BTW a few of the new covers were not as thick as the old style, Metal would be Nice. (HINT BD)

WB Cycles

Crap - Just cracked a side cover again (3rd time). Had an ez pull clutch and led lights installed and while at the dealer I noticed it.

I talked to BDM and they have "new" real thick covers now as upgrade. Just wondering if anyone here has had them installed yet?
SIDE Thread: Lambo how long did it take to get the clutch installed? There's another thread where we were talking about that.

LamboV12

I saw a blank non-painted pair and they looked like they were 3/4" thick and I don't think they flex at all.

BDM said engineers are working a new mounting system they prevents vibration from cracking them and will retro fit previous models.

There's also a new guy in charge of paint - very good guy and he's giving me a quick turn around.

LamboV12

I'm on my 3 set of NEW Material Covers :roll:
on the last set I bored out some SS fender washers so they would go over the well nuts and epoxyed them to the bottom of the covers. So far so good.

BTW a few of the new covers were not as thick as the old style, Metal would be Nice. (HINT BD)
That's exactly what I'm going to do - actually I'm taking washers and going to epoxy them on the top and bottom - guys at BDM also said good idea to do that.

Re: metal - they figured the cost of stamping too expensive. I told them we all would have gladly paid another $60 or whatever to avoid the down time from cracking - last time was 6 weeks for me.

LamboV12

SIDE Thread: Lambo how long did it take to get the clutch installed? There's another thread where we were talking about that.
Yup - did the new easy pull. I can say it's kick ass easy. I did not ride it yet, but just pulling on it in the shop - big difference

cavracer21

i would be on my 3rd set but i refused them because they couldn't match the paint. my 2nd set that are broke have the alum. gussets in them and there fine. i put 6000 miles on them since they broke and no problems.

kickstart

That's exactly what I'm going to do - actually I'm taking washers and going to epoxy them on the top and bottom - guys at BDM also said good idea to do that.

Re: metal - they figured the cost of stamping too expensive. I told them we all would have gladly paid another $60 or whatever to avoid the down time from cracking - last time was 6 weeks for me.

Lambo, I have the SS washers top and bottom, you only need to epoxy the bottom as the well nut will hold the top washer in place.

The "new" and improved version of the side covers seemed to me to be the same...I think the upgrade that kick talked about is the right way to go..otherwise the new ones break too....

LamboV12

Carver - Steve there is a new mgr in Paint. He gave me the "codes" for my paint so I can paint my struts locally. You should be able to get yours also.

BAD news on the EZ Pull. It worked fine and then started to stiffen up for no reason. We are changing the cable, if that does not work need to call BDM.

Rick

Guys that have modded your up please post some pics. I just got a set of side covers back this week. They are on the bike but they need adjusting. It would be great to see what you did to mod your so the rest of us can do the same. Type of epoxy used, washers etc.

LamboV12

Rick I'll send pix on what we did. My covers won't be back till the 14th.

Re: adjusting - there's not much you can do to "adjust" them. On my bike the right cover rubs on the belt. Wheel alignment is correct and it does not touch when standing still. But when moving the belt will vibrate and start hitting the side cover - I noticed when it started taking the paint off in that area. Most people won't know if they have this problem because the front belt guard covers that spot - but I run my bike without the front belt guard becuase, I think, it looks better.

What we are doing, besides washers and expoxy, is to round out the top mounting hole, then push the side cover inward before tightening up the top bolt to gain a little more clearance. Will post pix.

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
On my bike the right cover rubs on the belt... when moving the belt will vibrate and start hitting the side cover - I noticed when it started taking the paint off in that area.
:eek: What?? I had to run down to the garage to check that out. My belt runs about an inch below the bottom of the the cover, and outside it by about 3/8". The only way it would touch is if it was sloppy loose! :confused:

...besides washers and expoxy, is to round out the top mounting hole, then push the side cover inward before tightening up the top bolt to gain a little more clearance.
I haven't had any trouble with my covers breaking - I have been really careful to not overtighter the mounting bolts, but rather allow them to "float" a bit in the rubber grommets.