Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Another Speedometer issue...

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Pitbull08117, Sep 14, 2018 at 6:58 PM.

1. Pitbull08117

Pitbull08117 Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Pitbull, 2007 Electraglide
    I have read several of the posts on the speedometer and I haven't been able to find my exact problem addressed, if it is here, I can't find it. Anyway, I have an '08 Pitbull and the only issue I am having, and have been having for a while is that the speedometer is only working intermittently. And that is the best way I can describe it, sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it doesn't, it really seems as if there is a loose wire somewhere. I rode it to work several days this week, and I almost ordered a new Dakota Digital, but then lo and behold this morning on the way to work it started working fine. And then, on the way home it started acting up. So, when I got home I pulled the speedometer out of it's housing just to see if anything jumped out at me and everything looks fine. I'm having zero issues with the tach ring and other indicators. I plugged the speedo back up, just to see what it will do and turned the switch on and zilch, nothing. I have power to the speedo (12.6 volts) with the switch on, I'm guessing it's time to just go ahead and order one. I'm just not crazy about digital anything, I'm old school analog all the way. I guess I just needed to vent a little, get it out of my system. But, if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Mr. Old Fart member #145
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    black cherry '07 K9
    First Name:
    Tom
    does your speedo do a double sweep? you may have 12.6v but the battery may still be on it's way out. the power needed to start, even keeping it on a tender, may put it below the threshold for the speedo to do it's second sweep to get it working. may simply be your battery.

3. Pitbull08117

Pitbull08117 Member

My Bike(s):
    Brand new battery, less than 6 months old. It was intermittent when the battery was new.

4. FrankBDPS

FrankBDPS Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2ooo ProSport 1997 Honda Night Hawk
    First Name:
    Frank
    Have you checked the wiring to the sensor in the transmission and the sensor it self? They are magnetic and tend to get covered with metal shavings over time. Which speedometer do you have?

HMAN likes this.
  5. Rodwho

Rodwho Member

My Bike(s):
    K9
    First Name:
    Rod
    I have the same issue. When my spedo does not work the trip od button will not work either, while the rpm will always work.

6. bruce

bruce Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 BIGDOG K-9
    First Name:
    Bruce
    there are HOW TO on here, the wiring is most likely broken at solder point on circuit board - if you want to call me I maybe can explain better. 717 382 9983

7. Pitbull08117

Pitbull08117 Member

My Bike(s):
    This is what I have been thinking all along, something is loose on the inside of the unit itself and if there is anyway to fix it I would prefer to go that route and retain my original analog speedometer. I will call you, probably tomorrow and thanks!

8. what?

what? Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 big dog pitbull
    First Name:
    Bill
    same bike but i think they are setup the same on most in 08. mine started out by fluttering with the trip odometer jumping all over the place and finally speedometer just flat out didn't work. no issues with tach. i notice the little rubber boot on the trip reset was deteriorating and on occasion i'd have condensation build up inside the glass. went to the digital. i replaced and all is good. i calibrated the true mileage on the digital to be honest. and out of the bike i could still check original mileage logged by putting voltage to the old speedo.

9. Pitbull08117

Pitbull08117 Member

My Bike(s):
    I just opened up the back of the speedometer, took out the screw in plug/grommet that goes in to the circuit board and sure enough, the red wire is completely loose.

TapioK, Steven Proctor and chubs like this.
  10. Jjoyce

Jjoyce New Member

My Bike(s):
    06 ridgeback
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    The second sweep was a software update in the ehc, not all of them have it done. It has nothing to do with the battery not sweeping twice.

11. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Active Member

My Bike(s):
    05 Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Pete
    2nd sweep? Ive had my bike new since April 2005 and it has never swept twice. My whole speedo assembly has always worked fine/

12. Pitbull08117

Pitbull08117 Member

My Bike(s):
    Here is a picture of the speedometer, with the red wire that has come loose from the circuit board. fullsizeoutput_711.jpeg

Nukeranger likes this.
  13. awg

awg Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Big Dog Chopper, 1980 Honda Passport, 1965 Honda Benly, 1967 Sears Sabre
    Mine never did twice either.

14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Mr. Old Fart member #145
    Staff Member Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    black cherry '07 K9
    First Name:
    Tom
    it was a fix that BDM came up with in late '07 early '08 to sweep the speedometer a second time after if cranked to get it to function properly. it was done as a service bulletin so not all bikes out in the world had it done. and there were also some (like my K9 and my son's K9) that were somehow corrupted, that the fix did not work on. the BDM tech that was on site at Carl's Speed Shop at the octoberfest in '08 told us that unfortunately, there wasn't anything else could be done for it, at that time.

15. Rottweiler

Rottweiler Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Chopper, 2014 HD Road King CVO, 1985 FXWG
    First Name:
    Todd
    :oldthumbsup: That's what I was thinking cold solder joint. But a loose wire was easier to find. Solder it back up and your good to go. I have a 04 and mine was also acting up, so I sent it to Curtis and he found 3 bad solder joints. Re-solder them and sent it back it's been working ever since.

pknowles likes this.
  16. Pitbull08117

Pitbull08117 Member

My Bike(s):
    I soldered the loose wire back and hooked it up, seems to be working correctly. In the process, it seems as though I wasn't able to get the trip meter function working correctly, seems like maybe I lost a part or two, fell out when I opened it up and I couldn't find it. But, I can live without the trip meter function. Everything else seems to be working correctly.

chubs likes this.