Air Ride Suspension Fixed!

Brandon Downey

When I bought my 2007 Mastiff back in August, the air ride suspension would not air down/deflate. It aired up just fine though. I confirmed it was not the high/low switch by doing a function check with the high beam light, and the switch worked just fine turning that on and off. So I knew the switch was good. I searched and read everything on here that mentioned the word air ride, and unfortunately I wasn't finding a whole lot of info about the system and how it works. A few weeks ago I stumbled on to an air ride solenoid listed on Ebay through Derek and Donna, and after confirming that this should fix the problem, I ordered it. It arrived last night and so I HAD to tear into it and see if this was the fix! After wrestling with my side covers for way too long (the rubber mounting grommets are shot and need replaced or upgraded), I found that my solenoid was unplugged. Upon further inspection, it appeared that when it was originally installed there wasn't enough slack left in the wiring to reach the solenoid properly. Between the tension from the lack of slack in the wiring and the vibration of these bikes, I can only theorize that these two factors combined caused the clip portion of the electrical connector to break allowing the wiring to come unplugged. I created the necessary slack in the wiring and plugged it in, aired it up, and voila! She aired down! Although I created the needed slack for the wiring harness to reach the solenoid properly, with a broken connector there was nothing to prevent it from coming unplugged again. A zip tie was the solution here, and now the connector can't come unplugged on it's own. I am one happy Dog owner! I will post any repairs/problems regarding the air ride suspension in the future in hopes of providing needed help to others on the forum. Now to hunt down the side cover hardware.....

Good work Brandon :old2: I know people have had trouble with the air ride, but I always thought it would be cool to have it on my bike.

Brandon Downey

Thanks guys! During my research phase, I found a pretty even mixture of people who liked it and thought it was worth it and others that didn't notice much difference. Some even said it wasn't much better than riding a rigid. I think the advantage with the air ride is (and this is my opinion of course) that you get the sweet rigid look with the fender hugging that rear tire while parked, and then you get to have the suspension when you're riding. So you get the best of both worlds! Plus the wife likes it, so I guess that helps too....a little lmao.

Brandon Downey

I grabbed a recall kit from Donna and Derek yesterday off of Ebay. So that little problem will be cured in the next day or two.

prodiver

Make sure that your bump stops will stop the fender from dropping down on the tire. Mine wore out and I had a lady on the back that said her ass was getting hot. It sure was. Fender dropped down on the tire and burned up the tire and fender. A very expensive lesson.

BWG56

Guru
Make sure that your bump stops will stop the fender from dropping down on the tire. Mine wore out and I had a lady on the back that said her ass was getting hot. It sure was. Fender dropped down on the tire and burned up the tire and fender. A very expensive lesson.
OUCH

Gmutoagrsv

Am I wrong? Through my research I thought the mastiff didn’t have air. I have a 05 and would love to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eduardo Hernandez

Can you all help me out and let me know what air ride is installed on this platform? I own my 2007 Big Dog Mastiff, and I want that baby slammed to the floor when I park so that I don't use a kick stand any more.

Brandon Downey

That will require some modification. Assuming your bike is equipped with air ride, it only drops down so low so as to not make contact with the fender. So removing those rubber bump stops would be a place to start, but even then you still have to get the frame to the ground to no longer need the kick stand. Anyone have any experience with this mod?

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
That will require some modification. Assuming your bike is equipped with air ride, it only drops down so low so as to not make contact with the fender. So removing those rubber bump stops would be a place to start, but even then you still have to get the frame to the ground to no longer need the kick stand. Anyone have any experience with this mod?
As Brandon said in the quoted statement, it would take an extensive amount of modifications to get it to bottom out on the frame with just the air ride system. Those bump stops are there for a reason. Also, on the prostreet models would the oil lines have to be rerouted from the oil tank to keep for m getting cut? You can always carry a couple 2x4's and shove them under the frame when you stop;)

Just kidding...---...

Last edited:

Brandon Downey

I could see doing that mod to a BBC sled 300 because the fender and swingarm move in unison, but since the Dogs aren't designed that way, seems like the level of involvement to do that modification wouldn't be worth the hassle. It would be cool as hell though no doubt.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
I could see doing that mod to a BBC sled 300 because the fender and swingarm move in unison, but since the Dogs aren't designed that way, seems like the level of involvement to do that modification wouldn't be worth the hassle. It would be cool as hell though no doubt .
I would disagree 100%. I like old skool choppers, they are visually perfect to my eyes. I would love an old pan if those things wernt so pricey

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Lone Rider

I have an issue with the air ride system on my 2006 K9 Custom, it airs up just fine, but not by using any buttons on the hand controls, but by a toggle switch mounted on the left side panel, outside of the battery thingy. The only thing is; after riding a while, I shut off the bike, and in a matter of time......an hour or so, the suspension seems to just "bleed out" and it's back down again; I don't know if this is an automatic function or not. I haven't had the time to check it all out yet. I work, sleep, work, sleep....
The service guy at the place where I bought it told me, "This a safety function of the air ride suspension; after you start the bike, flip the toggle switch, and air up the suspension up to about 90lbs psi, then go riding; while the engine is running, the system will stay aired up until you turn off the engine, the system will then bleed out back to the stops to avoid damage to the shocks staying aired up" It sounds like a possiblity, but I'm not sure it's accurate.
Anyone have any ideas or technical tips on this? thanks!

Brandon Downey

Yeah that service guy must not have a service manual. You SHOULD have 2 manual switches on your side cover, one to air up and one to air down. Air up to go riding and air down when you park. If you leave the bike aired up when you park it is really easy to knock it over because the balance is way off. Trust me I almost knocked mine over one day just trying to put my lift under it to clean her up! The system does not air down automatically, you have a slight leak. Toss us some pics of your switches and gauges.

Brandon Downey

Mine came installed from the factory, so my air up process is to hit the start button which puts it in air ride mode, then the high/low beam buttons air it up and down. After 10 seconds of inactivity it defaults back to normal operation. Yours was installed by someone or some shop after it was purchased which is why it has the toggle switches on your side cover.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Sounds like a leak, faulty switch or solonoid , the air ride should stay at whatever pressure you set it at no matter if bike is running or not, besides how would the air system know if it’s running or not?

Very good grubber

Eduardo Hernandez

Great information. What kit did you use for your scooter?