Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Air Ride Suspension Fixed!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Brandon Downey, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Brandon Downey

Brandon Downey Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2007 Big Dog Mastiff
    First Name:
    Brandon
    When I bought my 2007 Mastiff back in August, the air ride suspension would not air down/deflate. It aired up just fine though. I confirmed it was not the high/low switch by doing a function check with the high beam light, and the switch worked just fine turning that on and off. So I knew the switch was good. I searched and read everything on here that mentioned the word air ride, and unfortunately I wasn't finding a whole lot of info about the system and how it works. A few weeks ago I stumbled on to an air ride solenoid listed on Ebay through Derek and Donna, and after confirming that this should fix the problem, I ordered it. It arrived last night and so I HAD to tear into it and see if this was the fix! After wrestling with my side covers for way too long (the rubber mounting grommets are shot and need replaced or upgraded), I found that my solenoid was unplugged. Upon further inspection, it appeared that when it was originally installed there wasn't enough slack left in the wiring to reach the solenoid properly. Between the tension from the lack of slack in the wiring and the vibration of these bikes, I can only theorize that these two factors combined caused the clip portion of the electrical connector to break allowing the wiring to come unplugged. I created the necessary slack in the wiring and plugged it in, aired it up, and voila! She aired down! Although I created the needed slack for the wiring harness to reach the solenoid properly, with a broken connector there was nothing to prevent it from coming unplugged again. A zip tie was the solution here, and now the connector can't come unplugged on it's own. I am one happy Dog owner! I will post any repairs/problems regarding the air ride suspension in the future in hopes of providing needed help to others on the forum. Now to hunt down the side cover hardware.....

PROFLYER, Rottweiler, BWG56 and 4 others like this.
  2. Mickeetwo

Mickeetwo Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K9 & 2014 Ultra Limited
    First Name:
    Alan
    Good work Brandon :old2: I know people have had trouble with the air ride, but I always thought it would be cool to have it on my bike.

3. Brandon Downey

My Bike(s):
    2007 Big Dog Mastiff
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Thanks guys! During my research phase, I found a pretty even mixture of people who liked it and thought it was worth it and others that didn't notice much difference. Some even said it wasn't much better than riding a rigid. I think the advantage with the air ride is (and this is my opinion of course) that you get the sweet rigid look with the fender hugging that rear tire while parked, and then you get to have the suspension when you're riding. So you get the best of both worlds! Plus the wife likes it, so I guess that helps too....a little lmao.

BWG56, pknowles and Unsprung like this.
  4. Brandon Downey

My Bike(s):
    2007 Big Dog Mastiff
    First Name:
    Brandon
    I totally agree, and I'm that guy who is super anal about the maintenance of his beloved toy! But I enjoy maintaining the machine, where as others view it as work.

BWG56 and dentdude36 like this.
  5. PROFLYER

PROFLYER SWOLE

My Bike(s):
    06 K9, 06 Mastiff (wife's)
    First Name:
    Sutton
    Mine has worked beautifully for 11 years now. I like to let all the air out and ride on the bump stops from time to time to remind myself why I don't REALLY want a Ridgeback :D

TapioK, kickstart and Tomtang like this.
  6. kickstart

kickstart Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    52 Pan,05 Bulldog, 07 K9
    First Name:
    Pat
    A couple grommets and well nuts and you will be in good shape.

7. Brandon Downey

My Bike(s):
    2007 Big Dog Mastiff
    First Name:
    Brandon
    I grabbed a recall kit from Donna and Derek yesterday off of Ebay. So that little problem will be cured in the next day or two.

BWG56 likes this.
  8. prodiver

prodiver Member

My Bike(s):
    Harley, Big Dog
    Make sure that your bump stops will stop the fender from dropping down on the tire. Mine wore out and I had a lady on the back that said her ass was getting hot. It sure was. Fender dropped down on the tire and burned up the tire and fender. A very expensive lesson.

PROFLYER, Rottweiler and chubs like this.
  9. BWG56

BWG56 Guru

My Bike(s):
    Big Dog, SpyderF3
    First Name:
    Ker
    OUCH

10. Gmutoagrsv

Gmutoagrsv Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 mastiff
    First Name:
    Greg
    Am I wrong? Through my research I thought the mastiff didn’t have air. I have a 05 and would love to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk