Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Advanced Maintenance

Discussion in 'How-To' started by Raywood, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Raywood

Raywood The Pirate
    Staff Member Supporting Member Calendar Participant

My Bike(s):
    2014 KMW Regulator
    First Name:
    Ray
    In preparation for my trip to Tampa last weekend to see my son Travis I changed the oil in the bike and gave it a good cleaning. It's last cleaning was two months ago when I was at Kaptian Amerika's house and we pulled the front ends apart on our bikes and rebuilt them with new seals. We did this with them side by side both on lifts and did them at the same time. Boy was the oil in my forks old and dirty. After new seals and bushings we put them back together and then the next day I headed out to Texas then Florida.

So now after many miles on the bike I gave it a good cleaning and with good weather forecasted I headed out Friday on the 175 miles to Tampa. Last time I went last month it rained all the way there and back. Thought I left that rain in Washington! :eek: But at least it's warmer (hotter) here. After 77 miles of backroads and passing through many small towns I get to I-75 and gas up. The remaining 100 miles go fast as I kick it up to 85-90 mph and get there in about another hour. Took me about 3 hrs and 15 minutes total.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I get there and my boy is all excited to see me again. Here he is trying to steal my bike. "Dad, can I borrow the keys? Come on dad just a quick spin around the block".

[​IMG][​IMG]

After a fun filled weekend with Travis I head back to Jacksonville about 8:30 Sunday morning and make great time. I arrive in Jacksonville in 2 hrs and 50 minutes. Boy was I flying down the road! :D

As usual I immediately get the bike on the lift and get a socket and pan and drain the primary. I haven't changed it...... Hell I can't remember when I last changed it! Anyway, I drain out a couple cups of molasses looking oil and pull the inspection cover. I jack up the front of the bike real high so that the front of the primary drains out. I check the chain and decide to tighten it up one notch and then put in a qt of Redline V-Twin Primary Oil and then after cleaning up all the sealer on the inspection cover I apply some new Mr Gasket sealer and button up the cover. I allow it to sit over night for the sealer to dry then take it out for a spin. Boy does the clutch work so much better and the bike doesn't lurch as much with the tighter primary chain.

While I have the bike on the lift now I am going over the bike checking transmission fluid, cleaning the tappet screen that was really bad and then I notice my rear tire. I have these skid marks that I never noticed before and assume that a few months ago when my brother wrecked his Harley I ended up skidding down the road about 15-20 feet and this was the end result I guess. This tire has over 15,000 miles on it now and it's the new Cobra. I leave Monday for Arkansas for the Bikes Blues and BBQ Rally and it will have to wait as I can't afford a new tire till payday on the 1st. I checked to see if Avon will have a set up there like they do at Sturgis and Daytona but they won't be at this rally so I'll just keep an eye on it and I can have it changed in Fayetteville if need be but I think it will be alright till I get back. I see that Rocky Mountain Tire has the Avon 250's for $202 dollars so that will be ordered when I get back on the 4th. I already ordered some more Dyna beads from Jake and should have them tomorrow to take with me in case I have to change it on the road.

[​IMG][​IMG]

In the meantime I have been doing a little bit on the bike every night when it cools down this week. Checking wiring, tied up the brake line and wires that were hanging loose under the bike. I bought some of that belt dressing you use on serpentine belts for autos and applied it to the belt and sprockets. It's seems to be a lot better than plain ole silicone spray. Tightened up nuts and bolts, cleaned some more and now after a ride this morning remembered the rear brake is acting up again.
    It's been an issue for a while and what's happening is one of the puks is sticking so I decided to pull the caliper and realized I couldn't get it out without removing the rear wheel so off the rear end comes. And I thought I was about through with this thing!! :eek: So, I decide to take the damn thing apart and pull the pistons (puks) and find one of them scored pretty good so I take some 600 grit emery cloth to them and give them a good polish and then into the parts washer pan they go for a good cleaning. I have rebuild kits for the calipers already but they are still in Washington with my other stuff so I call the local shop here and they will have a re-build kit for me tomorrow afternoon. So, I will work on the wheel and get all the parts ready so that when I get the kit tomorrow I can get it all back together real quick. I stopped at the auto shop and picked up some DOT 5 fluid and a vacuum kit.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just stopped at the store to get some 1000 and 1500 grit paper to wet sand off some markings on the wheel from the tire machines and other crap stuck to the rim. Then polish them up with the mothers paste and get a good shine on them. You can see the axle has some corrosion on it so I will sand it down and apply some fresh anti-seize to it when I put it all back together. I pulled the caps off of the bearings and gave them an inspection and they look good and spin smoothly so packing them full when I installed them last was a good thing to do as they come with very little grease in them.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've had a problem with the headlight the last few months. The high beam is staying on. I've chased all the wires and haven't found anything out of place and all seems fine but my headlight socket plug is in pretty bad shape so I get on the internet yesterday and fine a nice ceramic one with a protective boot on it from a company in Fresno, CA for $9 so call them up and order it and I got it today. Talk about fast shipping..... holy cow that was quick. The company is "Repair Connections". I'll take the headlamp apart tonight after it cools down some in the garage and get this thing installed and see if it fixes my high beam issue. And before some of you start commenting about the low beam being blown I'll assure you it's not cause I've put three bulbs in it and as soon as I turn the key on it goes right to high beam so it's a ground or something else somewhere in the system.

[​IMG]

Each day this week I've been doing something to the bike thinking I'm done now and then I think of something else so I keep chugging along with it. Last night I pulled the carburetor and gave it a good cleaning and blew it out. The bowl was full of sand and gunk. I tightened up the exhaust studs and pulled the crankshaft sensor and filled it with die-electric grease. Ten I lubed the cables and the springs on each side of the carb. I also pulled the air cleaner cleaned and re-charged it with fresh oil. Clutch was adjusted too. When I took it out this morning it was running so good except for the rear brake. Tomorrow I will drain and replace the fluid in the front master cylinder also. They haven't been done since my bike was last back at the factory when I had my broken frame replaced back in 08.

Humm, maybe I should pull my shifter rod and lube up those heim joints while I'm at it! See it never ends. :D

[​IMG]

So, Monday morning I head out for Arkansas. It's 1030 miles there one way so will probably ride to Memphis spend the night then ride the rest of the way in on Tuesday. Weather is looking good and alls I have left to do "besides putting the rear end back together" is just start packing. It's getting colder up there and I've seen low in the mid 40's so guess I'll have to load up all the leathers. This is my projected route there and back.
    My scoot is just short of 84,000 miles now and with the miles I'll be doing all week in Fayetteville and the round trip should add on another 3000 miles to the odometer. Can't let ChopperJeff pass me in miles!!!! :eek:

[​IMG]

I haven't written up a report like this in sometime as I've been doing so much traveling this year and been all over the country and Mexico. So this upkeep period has been good for the bike. And as I usually do as soon as I get back from Arkansas it will go on the lift again and I'll strip it down and go over it again and get it ready for BikeOctoberFest in Daytona which is about 3 weeks away. Then there the FantasyFest down in Key West. :2thumbs:

Hope to meet lots of new folks at the BB&Q. I'll have my banner with me so you can sign it for me. See you all there. :cheers:

Continuing to get the bike ready for my trip I started off this morning polishing the rear wheel parts. I had to wait till this afternoon to get my rear caliper rebuild kit so not to waste time I started polishing. I got the wheel done then started on the belt sprocket and finished with the caliper. Not real shiny but a lot better than it was. When I get back and replace the rear tire I'll have it all disassembled again and continue putting a good shine on these parts. I also chased all the treads on parts and bolts to get them all cleaned up for reassembly.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I mentioned before that I checked the bearings but that was the drive side and they were good but today I checked the brake side and they were pretty dried up and hard to turn so I pumped them full of fresh grease and sealed it back up and spun them till they turned easier. I'll be replacing them when I do the tire. While I was at it I made a new rear wheel alignment tool from a coat hanger, my other one is still in Washington.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ran to the bike shop today to get my rebuild kit and bought a new crush washer also for the brake line. Before I started putting it all back together I assembled all the parts on the kitchen butcher block table and dry fitted the parts. This is where I ran into problems. Seems my rear brake issues have always been there since day one. Three of the pistons dropped right in to the caliper with a snug fit. The other one would not drop in all the way. I tried the other pistons (puks) in this well and none of them would fit so all along this piston has been stuck in the seated position not allowing proper braking action. When I took it apart I had to use speader pliers to pull it out. So out with the dremal and after a little bit of polishing I clean out the burrs from the port holes at the bottom being careful to not touch any part of the well above where the seal goes in and got the piston to drop in. Polishing with a little bit of emery cloth and a good blowing with the air hose and all was good.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now to get it all put together. The kit came with some oil so I gave the seals a good coating and put some on the pistons and pushed them in with a snug fit. I added some oil to the two small o-rings and placed them in place and assembled the two pieces together. I put some red loctite on the bolts and screwed them in to hold everything in place. Then I went out to the garage and put the caliper in the vice and torqued the bolts to 25 ft lbs. No mention in the manual on this so figured 25 would do the trick. Then I put some anti-seize on the brake pad pin and stuffed the pads in the caliper and the anti-rattle spring and pushed the pin in and put the cotter pin back in. Nice and clean and ready for installation on the bike. Super easy!!! :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

On to the headlight. I pulled it apart and cleaned it up some and cut out the old socket and using some male and female plugs I attached the new ceramic socket. Some heat shrink cleaned it up real nice and made it look professional. Before putting it back together I turn on the key and low and behold the hi and lo beam work now. I start the bike up and let it idle for a while and continue playing with the hi/lo button and it worked fine. Guess those frayed wires in there was the issue grounding it out. So I put it all back together and cleaned it up after using lots of anti-seize on the lock ring and beauty ring. Then I set the lock screws in with loctite and it's done.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tomorrow morning I will finish up installing the rear wheel, brake and flushing out the brake system and adding new DOT 5 fluid. I'll also drain the front brake and add fresh fluid to it also. Then I will be done and start packing after running the bike around for a while to make sure I got it all back together properly.

:cheers::2thumbs::cheers:

This is the final segment of this upkeep period and I'm glad too! :D

First thing I started with was assembling the caliper to the brake line, pressure switch harness and bracket. Looks like from the factory they just screw on the fitting for the pressure switch twisting the harness. It's takes several turns to get it on and the two wires are barely soldered onto the switch so I un-twisted the harness then instead of doing it the same way I spun the caliper to the switch fitting. Before I could do this though I had to remove the bleeder fitting cause the bango brake line interferes with it. The bleeder had a bunch of corrosion on it so over to the vice for a good brushing. Don't forget to blow it down real good with air to ensure its clean inside. After I spun on the switch and brake line that all go in the same outlet on top of the caliper I then put the bleeder back in. You don't want to tighten them down yet so that after you get it back together you can fit them for clearance. The pressure switch is real close to the rim. Then I attached the caliper to the brake bracket and got ready to put the rear wheel in place.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Because of my rear fender extension I have to jack the bike up real high to get the wheel in place. I did this by myself but a helper would work better as you try to get the brake caliper and bracket in place and move the belt over on the other side all at once but I got it down without scratching up the wheel. Now to lower the bike to line up the wheel with the swing arm.

[​IMG][​IMG]

You have three spacers. You will notice two of them have milling cut outs, these two ends are what butts up to the bearings. Easy to remember. Before I inserted the axle I coated both the axle and the inside of the spacers with anti-seize. I've used grease in the past but as you've seen from previous pictures it wears out and I get lots of corrosion from all the rain I end up riding in. Maybe the anti-seize will work better.

[​IMG][​IMG]

You ever see the show OCC's and watch those guys with the big hammers slamming the axle in? :eek:
    I fit the big spacer in place and slide the axle in and it goes in like flint. I push it in just till it exits the other side. Now you want to fit the smallest spacer in between the hub and brake bracket and push the axle through them. Then place the last spacer in and push the axle all the way through.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now place the other donut spacer in and with some red loctite put the axle bolt in and tighten it to just snug cause you still have to align the wheel. Now start turning your adjuster screws in a equal number of times on each side. When you remove the wheel you will want to do the same thing. Back out about ten turns on each side equally till you can get the belt off.
    Now playing with belt tension get it to where you want it. The manual calls for 10 lbs of force on the top belt for 1/4" - 1/2" of deflection. HD sells a tool to measure this but I just do it by feel. It's not hard and what you want is a tight belt so that it doesn't slip teeth or squeal on hard take-offs.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ok, now that we have the belt tension to where we want it lets check for alignment. Taking out my trusty .50 cent tool I place it in the center of the swing arm bolt and slide the tie-wrap to the center of the axle bolt. Now to the other side and adjust as necessary till you have the same measurement on each side. Check you belt again and make sure it feels right. If all is well it's time to get out the torque wrench and tighten up the axle bolt to 55-65 ft lbs. I use the higher number only cause I load my bike down and I don't want that axle moving on me. Now using some more loctite insert the axle adjuster plugs and tighten them down. Do the same with the axle covers and your done.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now torque down your caliper to the bracket. Manual calls for 25 ft lbs. When this is done look at your caliper after spinning your wheel some and make sure your caliper is centered over the rotor. If not then you will need to add or remove some shims. Mine was correct with what shims were in it before. Now you can tighten down the brake line banjo and pressure switch ensuring the brake line has good clearance. As you tighten it down it will want to move on you so hold on to it tight.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ok, time to grab your vacuum pump. First thing I did was remove the rear brake master cylinder cover and vacuum most of the old ugly fluid out of it. You can see how bad it looks in this picture below. Don't suck it all out. Now attach your vacuum hose to the caliper bleeder and crack the bleeder loose, doesn't take much. Pump it up, I used 15 lbs of vacuum. Let it suck out all the old fluid and go back to the master cylinder and add fresh fluid before it runs dry. Don't let air in it. I bled it down till fresh purple fluid was coming out of the bleeder.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sucking out the old fluid till clean fresh purple (or whatever color you have) fluid starts coming out. Tighten up the bleeder valve and refill the master cylinder to the mark. Pump your pedal a few times to ensure you have pressure and button it up.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The bottom side of my cover was all corroded so I place some 600 paper on a flat surface and polished it till it was clean. Then I took and air hose to it and ensured the the equalization hole was not plugged then put the boot cover back on and screwed the cover down with some loctite.

[​IMG][​IMG]

While I had the vacuum system out I did the same thing to the front brakes.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last thing was to spin the wheels to ensure you have good brake action and that the calipers are centered over the rotors and some cleanup and your done. Oh, I re-installed the License plate too.

Now all that is left is to take it for a spin ensuring everything you did was done right. I took mine out then gassed it up reset both trip ometers and now I'm packing it up ready to hit the road in the morning for probably Memphis or as far as I can go. :D

I'll be back about the 4th or 5th and I will turn all this into an advanced "How To" to go along with Gas mans "How to Service your Bike".

[​IMG][​IMG]

Special thanks to my submarine shipmate Stanggt (Larry) for letting me use his garage and tools. And for assisting me with a lot of this work I did. Thanks Bro

#1 Raywood, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    Big D Florida likes this.
  2. Brew

Brew Troop Supporter

My Bike(s):
    08 Mastiff / 09 Softail Deluxe
    First Name:
    Rob
    It never ends Ray ray! That young man is getting big fast...:2thumbs: You're going to have to buy him a scoot soon...:D

3. BBChopper

BBChopper Supports 2 Disabled Vets
    Troop Supporter

My Bike(s):
    2005 BDM Choppa "Wild Fire", 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited "Swamp Rat"
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Holy shit dude!:eek:
    I didnt see those marks on the tire when you waz here on you way to see your boy! I looked her over pretty good dude, it had been a few years since I seen her!!:confused:
    a know I got a shop that yours too....

4. erldawg

erldawg Guru

My Bike(s):
    2008 K-9 EFI
    First Name:
    Earl
    You have the best maintained bike on the forum...:cheers:

One days work and I'm ready to go, change oil, lube cables, pack tripple tree bearings, adjust valves, general check up. Wish the weather was better. I've only ridin maybe 100 miles in like two - three weeks.

You camping?

#4 erldawg, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  5. Nukeranger

Nukeranger Nukeranger
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Ridgeback, 02 Bonneville America, 07 Daytona 675, 01 Custom Bonneville 1968 BSA Chopper/Bobber
    First Name:
    Huw
    FYI, I only clean my bike once a month. Stripper Juice keeps it clean. Rode in the rain today. Louisiana is much like Florida rain wise. That back tire looks good (i.e. no wear bars)!:roll::roll::roll:

6. BBChopper

BBChopper Supports 2 Disabled Vets
    Troop Supporter

My Bike(s):
    2005 BDM Choppa "Wild Fire", 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited "Swamp Rat"
    First Name:
    Pablo
    My bikes get a good cleaning twice a year, Bike week and Biketoberfester. Wash and whip the rest!!!!!:rolleyes:

7. Raywood

Raywood The Pirate

My Bike(s):
    2014 KMW Regulator
    First Name:
    Ray
    Thank you Earl :D I'll be staying in a hotel while in Arkansas :2thumbs:

8. Macdwn

Macdwn Active Member

My Bike(s):
    06 Mastiff, 04 Heritage
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ray I've got a friend in town that has an Avon at his shop. Don't know if its a 250 or 300. Has 800 miles on it but he has to patch it. Good thing its a tire shop. I'll find out and if its a 250 ill being it out just in case you need it.

9. Raywood

Raywood The Pirate

My Bike(s):
    2014 KMW Regulator
    First Name:
    Ray
    Thanks Mike, I think this one will be fine but you never know I guess. See ya there :cheers::cheers:

10. Macdwn

Macdwn Active Member

My Bike(s):
    06 Mastiff, 04 Heritage
    First Name:
    Mike
    Will do. Vacation starts tomorrow can't wait.

11. chacha

chacha Chaff Your EHC!!
    Calendar Participant

My Bike(s):
    2001 Nightrain, 2014 Indian Vintage, 2006 Bulldog (sold)
    First Name:
    Mister Fucking Wonderful
    Nice write up Raywood :up:

Safe trip to you and the rest of the BBQ Clan.

Be passing your way in a couple days. Taking the GTX from VA to Lady Lakes. Planning to roll out Saturday and come back sometime the week of the 2rd.

12. gixxbynite

gixxbynite Member

keep riding. thats what its all about.

13. Fibersnake

Fibersnake Banjo Playing PsychoBilly

My Bike(s):
    2005 BD Mastiff 2009 Buell 1125R
    Great write up Ray and you have a good safe trip. Tell Kathy-Blakc Betty and everyone else hello for me and tell them it does not look good for me to make it. Hopefully after my current fun in the sandbox end, I will have more time to join you and many others on getting some trips in.

I am back in the US though (got in yesterday) and do plan to do some stuff on the BD and if time allows, may make a 1000 miler to Kentucky and back mid-week to see and old bud out in the Bluegrass. We will see

Be safe and good to see and read the old 05 is still going strong.

14. scubaman15

scubaman15 Well-Known Member

My Bike(s):
    2007 BDM Chopper- 2007 HD CVO
    Ray great write up as usual !! Its a good reminder also to the rest of us ..these bikes need periodic maintenance !
    Slow down dude enjoy the ride !Your on the east coast now "crazy drivers and snow birds where you live". I need to take some of my own advice I know "these bikes love to run " ... Your boy Travis is getting big ...so cool watchin them grow up ! The working guys on this site are so jealous of your adventures !:cheers::cheers:

15. Killerdog

Killerdog Active Member

My Bike(s):
    2004 Bigdog Ridgeback
    First Name:
    Doug
    Holy crap dude you just did more on your bike in a couple days than I have on mine since i got it...:lol::lol: Can't wait to meet everyone in Ark at the rally ride safe all...see ya there :whoop::whoop:

16. Nukeranger

Nukeranger Nukeranger
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2008 Ridgeback, 02 Bonneville America, 07 Daytona 675, 01 Custom Bonneville 1968 BSA Chopper/Bobber
    First Name:
    Huw
    I noticed that! I think it is all photo cropped. Ray was actually just drinking beer on the computer!:D

17. B RADDD

B RADDD Active Member

My Bike(s):
    07' k9, 10' street glide , XR 400
    First Name:
    B RADD
    have a safe ride ray, see you in daytona :2thumbs:

18. Mickeetwo

Mickeetwo Guru
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    2006 Big Dog K9 & 2014 Ultra Limited
    First Name:
    Alan
    Nice writeup Ray......Have a safe trip to Arkansas and I'll see you in a few days. Weather is looking good.

19. shamrock

shamrock Active Member
    Supporting Member

My Bike(s):
    09 Mastiff, 07 Ultra, 96 Dyna,80 Sportster
    First Name:
    Garry
    Great post Ray. Have a safe ride. See you in Fville.

20. phatchopper300

phatchopper300 I just wanta ride

My Bike(s):
    08 k-9 Dakota spedo, RIP Kit gen. one 585 cam 2 1/2 forward contr
    First Name:
    Mike
    Yep great post and thanks for sharing. Looks like Travis will be following in your foot steps.:2thumbs: Crap how do you get 15,000 miles on the new Cobra.:bang: I'll be lucky to get half that.:angry: