585 or 600 cam

atago22

Just "upgraded" my S&S 117ci Pitbull 08 with a 600 cam, XXX Carb running with an S&S dual intake and V&H pipes....

Plenty power, easy to redline but runs a little rough - I expected it to run a little rougher but I read of posts with guys claiming a smooth ride.

Do I need to check something?

Thanks

isalas

is there anyway to tell if the engine has a 585 600 or else cam? like if I open the cam cover would the cam itself have it written somewhere? I have the 07 k9 with the 117S&S diamond cut.

erldawg

Guru
is there anyway to tell if the engine has a 585 600 or else cam? like if I open the cam cover would the cam itself have it written somewhere? I have the 07 k9 with the 117S&S diamond cut.
Stamped right on the cam. You'll need to pull cover off to verify or possibly pull cam out to read the numbers. IMHO

If you've owned the bike from day one then more than likely you have a .546 or .569 cam.

Example here: Taken from http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/motor/16666-585-change.html

Last edited:

isalas

Well I bought the bike from an old guy in Tampa with 400 miles on it... had Tampa DBM do the first serviced before I rode it down to Miami and shipped it to costa rica.

I guess I'll have to open the cam case and see what it has in there, but from what I've been reading its probably the stock one.

erldawg

Guru
Well I bought the bike from an old guy in Tampa with 400 miles on it... had Tampa DBM do the first serviced before I rode it down to Miami and shipped it to costa rica.

I guess I'll have to open the cam case and see what it has in there, but from what I've been reading its probably the stock one.
That would be a good bet...:2thumbs:

V

Guru
Well if you dont want to pull the cover and have to reset the pushrods. You could colaspe a pushrod tube and if you have a dial indicator (or access to one) you could measure the travel of the lifter very carefully on the edge of the lifter in the bore, take that number and multiply it times 1.625 (rocker arm ratio), that will give you your cam lift. If you pull the cam cover make sure you collaspe your push rods first. then when you reinstall you will need to adjust them back.

pezz

I actually live down the road from Biker's Dream and know Steve very well, had them install a .630 cam / new springs on my 08 a few years ago. Bike runs like hell,,very pleased with the hp and torque.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
This is what the BDM Service Manual 1994 ~ 2004 says on page one.
"107-inch S&S (Big Bore) motors are identified by the SA (Special Application) stamped near the serial number on the motor cases. S&S 107 inch motors will have either the S&S 520 or 600 camshaft installed."
Anyone know what the 04 107 Rigids have? I read that same line in the manual and I just don't understand how they have a 520 or 600? Just seems like a massive difference.

Anyone know what springs came in the 04 Rigid stock as well?

stlmikie

I wish I had more money.
I think they came with either or. Even either or on the springs. I think you may be able to contact S&S and they could tell you.

Olde Man

If you look at the cam timing events, apart from .015 lift and the intake closing on the 600 being 10 degress later the are about the same cam. The 585 intake closes 45 deg after piston bottom dead center. The 600 intake closes 55 deg after piston bottom dead center. This makes the dynamic compression ratios, which equals cylinder pressure and torque, about the same if you cut the jugs on the 600 installation. It would appear that the 585 is designed to suit the lower static compression ratio of the engines with uncut jugs.

bigkelk9

and 8 years after...........
So... glad this came up, according to S&S, these engines crate came with a 600, the gap from the cylinders to the heads was smaller, and the valves were different, ours came epa resulted as to why they have what they have so when I did my rebuild aside from boring my jugs and throwing Carrillo pistons in it, was to their specs. Supposedly it’s not for the power, but it’s over all better for the engine itself.

SEAL-rider

As I have said in previous threads, because I had an E-carb I had to limit to 585 cam. After I got the G-carb, I kept riding the 585 cam and it continued strained above 3800k although better than stock. A friend gifted me the 600 cam and the difference was amazing. It pulls without strain through 5k. The biggest concern for the 2005 117 is valve size. If you have the small (epa) valves which have weaker springs you can't take advantage of the 600. I was lucky that I happened to have the larger valves.

bigkelk9

As I have said in previous threads, because I had an E-carb I had to limit to 585 cam. After I got the G-carb, I kept riding the 585 cam and it continued strained above 3800k although better than stock. A friend gifted me the 600 cam and the difference was amazing. It pulls without strain through 5k. The biggest concern for the 2005 117 is valve size. If you have the small (epa) valves which have weaker springs you can't take advantage of the 600. I was lucky that I happened to have the larger valves.
Yeah, when I had my heads redone, they put new valves and springs in and all that... but riding Dahlia is night n day difference for sure now.. but yes, a simple cam change just don’t do the trick

bigkelk9

But I will however warn whomever not to use Randy, he spin dropped my heads and they have never sealed correctly, he should have just shaved my jugs. My bike has leaked oil from day one of getting it back from the heads so I’m not even fully experiencing the full potential of that rebuild...

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
But I will however warn whomever not to use Randy, he spin dropped my heads and they have never sealed correctly, he should have just shaved my jugs. My bike has leaked oil from day one of getting it back from the heads so I’m not even fully experiencing the full potential of that rebuild...
Who be this "randy" you speak of, so I know not to use, never heard of him on here before that I recall.

Brent Herridge

Does anybody have before and after dyno charts ? I'm curious what stock produces, and what you get after the full-on hot rod with cam, springs and valves (assuming everyone has air cleaner and pipes by now).

Can the existing heads be machined to accept the bigger valves ?

I've always wondered how these big HP motors work in hot weather. Surely some longevity and reliability are given up for the extra heat and general torment an air cooled motor withstands anyway. Any feedback on this ? Kel lives in Houston - he knows what I'm talking about. :)

Funny how these old threads show the turnover in the forum. Good to see us newcomers and some old timers together.