585 change

Energy One

V

Guru
For those who have wrenched into their motors, if I replace my valve springs I'm going to have to remove the heads and possibly the jugs and replace those gaskets too? I think I'm biting off more than I can chew....
The safest way to do it is to remove the heads. There is a tool on the market for about $275.00 that is designed for on the bike removal but I have never spoken to anybody that has used one or have I seen anyone on the forum mention it.

Your bike should have single wound springs from the factory (S&S) that are compatble with the .585 cam.

08ridgid

Thanks V, it does. I talked to S&S today (very helpful) I'm just going to pull everything (heads and jugs) and send them to S&S to have everything decked, honed, diamond cut, etc. even with the 585 Cam they suggest 10.5 to 1 compression. I don't want to have to do this work again, this is very stressful (on the marriage too).

japelfrey

S&S work

Thanks V, it does. I talked to S&S today (very helpful) I'm just going to pull everything (heads and jugs) and send them to S&S to have everything decked, honed, diamond cut, etc. even with the 585 Cam they suggest 10.5 to 1 compression. I don't want to have to do this work again, this is very stressful (on the marriage too).
So about how much did that set you back sending your heads and jugs into S&S for rehoning and port & polish?

japelfrey

So for the guys that did the 585 cam upgrade, what is the part breakdown that you went through? Was it truely plug n play? When you did the swap did you replace the springs or do any valve work or head work?

I am just trying to get a baseline for any and all parts I may need for this cam upgrade. I plan of getting rid of the E carb and going to a G as well. I have to take my rocker boxes off anyway because of a gasket leak, back left as most of you had had also. Thanks in advance for any input :)

spadesluck

So for the guys that did the 585 cam upgrade, what is the part breakdown that you went through? Was it truely plug n play? When you did the swap did you replace the springs or do any valve work or head work?

I am just trying to get a baseline for any and all parts I may need for this cam upgrade. I plan of getting rid of the E carb and going to a G as well. I have to take my rocker boxes off anyway because of a gasket leak, back left as most of you had had also. Thanks in advance for any input :)
From all the reading and posts here you don't need to change anything for a 585 cam on our 05's. Other than re-jetting the carb you are good to go. Now stepping up to the 600 cam, which I am in the middle of doing, will cost a lot more because parts will need to be changed out for sure. I know you and I have spoken about that already through pm.

japelfrey

From all the reading and posts here you don't need to change anything for a 585 cam on our 05's. Other than re-jetting the carb you are good to go. Now stepping up to the 600 cam, which I am in the middle of doing, will cost a lot more because parts will need to be changed out for sure. I know you and I have spoken about that already through pm.
Indeed we have, I am going to go ahead and put a G carb and manifold I believe, I have to replace the damn tp rocker box gaskets because my back left one is leaking like most folks have on here.

I have the 585 on my 2005 Big Dog Chopper with the super E carb and I really like the performance. Great, crisp throttle response. I really have to hold on when I twist the throttle cuz the bike launches! :up:
BDMike
i have the same bike.and thinking i want to do the same.

how much for the cam?
do you have a step by step with pics of this upgrade?

I also have been leaning toward the Woods 590 cam - Do you have any performance stats, rideability, personal opinion, comparison against other bikes, etc after install?