2007 bulldog efi unstable idle

USNChief

Personally, I think you're spendin money needlessly. Run the injector cleaner through it and give it some time before ya fix something that aint broke. Your bike and your money, your call! :2cents::2cents:
Agree, sound like you had varnish or crap in the injectors. If the cleaner solved the problem I wouldn't start throwing money into the electronics. My VFI module was glitchy on mine, but before finding that out changed out all fuel delivery components that were fine. Ouch.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's fixed. Hopefully. Put everything back to the way it was when I got it. Checked the fuses. Good. Put some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank. Reset the iac. Filled it up n ride it got a while. Coming to stop here and there low idle every now and again. Then after about 30 miles or so decided to get on it and open her up a couple of time. She seemed to like that and idled great after that. It was owned since 09' by a guy who is almost 70 now and said he hadn't really rode it in 2-3 years besides getting it inspected and rare occasions like that. I know there is crap in the tank.
So I'm thinking opening it up a couple of times along with the Lucas cleared out the injectors a bit. I'll ride it again tomorrow and this weekend and post update.

Future plan: ride it like I stole it for about 500-1000 miles. Then replace those fuel injectors and flush the tank. Put in a S&S pro tune2. And replace the wire plus set up with DOCS. And new fuel pump.

I'm thinking that ought to about do it. What do you all think? I've only had a big dog for about a year you guys are the pros and I highly value your opinions
Did you ever drain the old gas? How much fresh fuel you got in there?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

DrRx

2007 Bulldog/2009 K-9
Did you ever drain the old gas? How much fresh fuel you got in there?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
He filled it up about a week before I got it from him or so he said. So it very well could have been bad old gas. I'm on my 3rd fill up since his gas

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I think it's fixed. Hopefully. Put everything back to the way it was when I got it. Checked the fuses. Good. Put some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank. Reset the iac. Filled it up n ride it got a while. Coming to stop here and there low idle every now and again. Then after about 30 miles or so decided to get on it and open her up a couple of time. She seemed to like that and idled great after that. It was owned since 09' by a guy who is almost 70 now and said he hadn't really rode it in 2-3 years besides getting it inspected and rare occasions like that. I know there is crap in the tank.
So I'm thinking opening it up a couple of times along with the Lucas cleared out the injectors a bit. I'll ride it again tomorrow and this weekend and post update.

Future plan: ride it like I stole it for about 500-1000 miles. Then replace those fuel injectors and flush the tank. Put in a S&S pro tune2. And replace the wire plus set up with DOCS. And new fuel pump.

I'm thinking that ought to about do it. What do you all think? I've only had a big dog for about a year you guys are the pros and I highly value your opinions
The only thing you might need to change related to the fuel pump is the attached fuel filter if there was a lot of crap in the tank.

USNChief

Sounds kinda familiar to the shit I just went through. Replaced injectors, fuel pump, intake gaskets. Turned out to be the ECM (VFI) module. Replaced it, and now the dog runs better than great.

DrRx

2007 Bulldog/2009 K-9
Sounds kinda familiar to the shit I just went through. Replaced injectors, fuel pump, intake gaskets. Turned out to be the ECM (VFI) module. Replaced it, and now the dog runs better than great.
Where did you get a new module and how much about do they run

Jwooky

Tanks inc has the filters. Definitely a good idea to replace them as well as the injector screens. You have to remove the tank and fuel pump to do so unfortunately.

It's hard to image a scenario where you would need to replace pump/injectors etc. They are very robust tried and true components used across the industry.

DrRx

2007 Bulldog/2009 K-9
Tanks inc has the filters. Definitely a good idea to replace them as well as the injector screens. You have to remove the tank and fuel pump to do so unfortunately.

It's hard to image a scenario where you would need to replace pump/injectors etc. They are very robust tried and true components used across the industry.
Where can I get the injector screens?

DrRx

2007 Bulldog/2009 K-9
I have a new unlocked version that I bought for my 09 efi K9
I never got around to changing it out. as a matter of fact, I have some other spare parts that I'm going to list and sell shortly.
First of all thanks again for helping me out before. Can you send me a list is the items your going to be selling and I would definitely like to get that module from you
I have a new unlocked version that I bought for my 09 efi K9
I never got around to changing it out. as a matter of fact, I have some other spare parts that I'm going to list and sell shortly.
Can I get that module from you? Is it remapped? Can you send me a list of other items you may have.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club

do you know the part number for the filter that goes in to the Big Dog tank?
thanks.

Jwooky

First, you have to figure out which one you need. I am aware of two types.

1. The filter snaps directly to the fuel pump. This is what I have, seen in the picture below from Tanks inc. Part #125-157
2. The second is what is shown in the manual item #58 that connects with a hose. Not sure where to get those @ground pounder does though.
upload_2016-12-5_12-42-37.pngupload_2016-12-5_12-41-34.png

Last edited:

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
Remove the IAC and clean out the port in the throttle body and the taper on the IAC with carb cleaner and Q-Tips.

Idle Air control sensor.

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
The 2007 Bulldogs have a rubber hose to the fuel filter Search my earlier post this spring. I think there were part numbers and sources.

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA
Fuel pump should have 55 to 60 psi in order for the injectors to work well. It could be the fuel pump regulator as well. I went through the entire system this spring. Check out all my posts for all the info.

Viking

Biker
What a thread. That pretty much sums up what we experienced today. Took the bike for a 100 mile on trip on Wednesday and it ran just fine. Then replaced battery and let it sit on the tender for a day. So when we were going for a ride today it ran fine for a mile then started sputtering like it was out of fuel. Added some fuel and no change whatsoever. My bike now has a total of 186 miles on it and I wasn't really expecting issues this quick. Any idea?

I can keep it running by twisting the throttle but as soon as I let go it simply dies.

Thanks in advance for all nice suggestions.