2005 Big Dog EHC conversion to RIP Gen2 issues (aussie bike)

Energy One
Hi Guys
I own a conversion company in australia where we import american motorcycles and change them to meet australian standards so that us aussies can also enjoy your bikes.

I havent had an EHC fail until recently and my customer purchased a RIP Gen 2 module direct from BDM

He has installed it and it is working fine except for the brake lights and indicators (turn signals)

In australia we have amber indicators on the rear that function separate to the brake light. As such, when I import the bikes I have to rewire the EHC controls to make this work.

The customers has reversed all changes that I have made so now the loom is standard big dog configuration with the brake lights and turn signals coming on together. He cant ride the bike on the road like this though and I am trying to help him over the phone.

I have the 2007 BDM EHC wiring diagram which states pin B26 and A4 are the brake feed wires which I am assuming should have 12v when either brake lever or brake pedal is pressed but on this 2005 bulldog with the Gen 2 RIP kit installed we have no voltage at B26 or A4 when the brake levers are pulled/pressed.

Basically we need to try and get the brake lights on their own circuit so that they dont run with the turn signals. We have custom dynamic LED lights in the rear that run 4 leds we just need to get a signal from both brake levers to feed into the light

Hoping that makes sense and someone can help?

If I can get my hands on the wiring diagram for the RIP gen2 module I am confident i can figure it out

cheers
richard
chopperconversions.com.au

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Guys
I own a conversion company in australia where we import american motorcycles and change them to meet australian standards so that us aussies can also enjoy your bikes.

I havent had an EHC fail until recently and my customer purchased a RIP Gen 2 module direct from BDM

He has installed it and it is working fine except for the brake lights and indicators (turn signals)

In australia we have amber indicators on the rear that function separate to the brake light. As such, when I import the bikes I have to rewire the EHC controls to make this work.

The customers has reversed all changes that I have made so now the loom is standard big dog configuration with the brake lights and turn signals coming on together. He cant ride the bike on the road like this though and I am trying to help him over the phone.

I have the 2007 BDM EHC wiring diagram which states pin B26 and A4 are the brake feed wires which I am assuming should have 12v when either brake lever or brake pedal is pressed but on this 2005 bulldog with the Gen 2 RIP kit installed we have no voltage at B26 or A4 when the brake levers are pulled/pressed.

Basically we need to try and get the brake lights on their own circuit so that they dont run with the turn signals. We have custom dynamic LED lights in the rear that run 4 leds we just need to get a signal from both brake levers to feed into the light

If I can get my hands on the wiring diagram for the RIP gen2 module I am confident i can figure it out

cheers
richard
The RIP GenII uses the Thunderheart Micro Controller.

https://www.thunder-heart.com/shopexd.asp?id=287

Manuals here:
https://www.thunder-heart.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Support

Use the wiring diagram on that unit for the pin#'s.

Now the pain here is the stock BDM harness and the RIP unit may have different wire colors. You have to use the Thunderheart diagram for colors and pin#'s and then have to use the OEM wiring diagram for the end colors...in your case the leds.

Good luck!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

TapioK

The RIP GenII uses the Thunderheart Micro Controller.

https://www.thunder-heart.com/shopexd.asp?id=287

Manuals here:
https://www.thunder-heart.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Support

Use the wiring diagram on that unit for the pin#'s.

Now the pain here is the stock BDM harness and the RIP unit may have different wire colors. You have to use the Thunderheart diagram for colors and pin#'s and then have to use the OEM wiring diagram for the end colors...in your case the leds.

Good luck!

Why the F*ck is that? Cant BD order the RIP kit from Thunderheart with correct colours?

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Why the F*ck is that? Cant BD order the RIP kit from Thunderheart with correct colours?
I asked the same thing..

Both Doc and RIP have the same issue...neither of them match exactly.

I'm guessing Thunderheart doesn't want to change it up cause right now their controller matches stock Harley colors

ok, so not really getting anywhere with the wiring loom, the colours on the loom dont actually match the thunderheart wiring diagram.
Can someone point me to the guys who actually make the RIP module so I can ask them some technical questions.

All I really need to figure out is how to disconnect the brake lights because how it is when you pull the brakes the indicators/turn signals come on. :(

BWG56

Guru
ok, so not really getting anywhere with the wiring loom, the colours on the loom dont actually match the thunderheart wiring diagram.
Can someone point me to the guys who actually make the RIP module so I can ask them some technical questions.

All I really need to figure out is how to disconnect the brake lights because how it is when you pull the brakes the indicators/turn signals come on. :(
The new Big Dog boys make it
bigdogisback.com/

I have ordered my module from DOC as well and he made it to Australian standards.

Paul.
Hi Paul, forgive my ignorance but is the DOC module the same as the RIP and does he work at the new big dog company?

I did send the guys an email at bigdogisback but they couldnt really give me the info I was after regarding the brake light circuit

BWG56

Guru
Hi Paul, forgive my ignorance but is the DOC module the same as the RIP and does he work at the new big dog company?

I did send the guys an email at bigdogisback but they couldnt really give me the info I was after regarding the brake light circuit
Yes the Thunderheart module is the same, but DOC does NOT work for them he has his own business, www. "dead one customs" without the spaces

Somebody should be able to provide you with a wiring schematic for the RIP though, especially if you bought it from them

Jon welch

Hi Guys

cheers
richard
Hi I have the same issue with my Big Dog Mastiff 2004. Can you assist Richard with diagram on how I go about converting it to amber indicators. I am in Adelaide my mobile is 0438851569 if you need to contact me.

Jon