2003 gas tank

Ironnation

Ok so this is my first BDM got a question about the gas tank. I can only get the right side cap off, the left one just spins after using channel locks. Sounds stupid but is it supposed to come off or is it a dummy cap. I’ve been told both lol? Hope you guys can help?
2003 pitbull

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Ok so this is my first BDM got a question about the gas tank. I can only get the right side cap off, the left one just spins after using channel locks. Sounds stupid but is it supposed to come off or is it a dummy cap. I’ve been told both lol? Hope you guys can help?
2003 pitbull
Left cap, left handed threads. Also no no vent on it. Right cap, right handed threads, and it is vented.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Good question. Sounds like the threads are stuck, and the cap is striped on the thread mount. If it were me, I'd order a new set of caps from the Kaptin, then drill down through the center of the cap. It is held on with a 1/4'' bolt. After you drill the bolt out, the cap will come off and you can get the threads out with a pair of pliers. Here is a picture of the back side of the cap.
IMG_20190612_202748_resized_20190612_082857237.jpg